What gives British Gas the Right!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2936 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today I received my British Gas Bill (Estimated as always) which said they were doubling my payments from £130 to £260 per month - not cheap I know. I didn't have to worry about it as they were going to adjust my direct debit. - how kind.

I phone and ask to speak to the person that thought this one up

and and was told there wasn't a person as it was all fully automated

- I did point out that even automated systems had to be programmed by people

but this seemed to be beyond her scope of understanding.

I was assured that it wasn't personal and that more than likely this will have happened to all direct debit users with estimated bills - most reassuring I think not.

When I gave my gas usage reading I was told my bill had actually gone up by £1. 50p per month.

I asked who I could complain to

was told I could only complain to British Gas and

I have now apparently been assigned someone to look into it who will contact me in due course.

I can not imagine the stress this is going to cause to people struggling to pay their bills up and down the land.

It is just wrong - they (British Gas) can not be bothered sending out meter readers

and can not even make a phone call to ask for one

and yet they can double a bill without even blinking an eyelid.

And I and others can not complain to outside bodies about this.

I wonder just how long it will take them to contact me?

Hi BarbsMJ and Welcome to CAG

I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Don't cancel Direct Debit. Just keep it at a level that reflects usage over 12 months. There might be a current discount for DD payers ?

Start looking at changing companies, so when they come back, you are looking at switching away from them to x company, i have switched a few times and it is easy. Last time i saved over 20%.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

See that's where I go wrong, I never switch because I keep reading stories about people who switch. and because my reading are always estimated I can never give a true reading of my usage to find out which would be the best to swap to. The Direct Debit has been changed now to the correct figure and yes I do get a discount for using DD.

See that's where I go wrong, I never switch because I keep reading stories about people who switch. and because my reading are always estimated I can never give a true reading of my usage to find out which would be the best to swap to. The Direct Debit has been changed now to the correct figure and yes I do get a discount for using DD.

Just go to a few comparison sites for energy. Energy companies are expected to read your meters at regular intervals and to provide your usage in KWH, so you have a chance to compare with other companies.

When was the last time you had an actual meter reading ?

There is no reason why you cannot read your own meters say every quarter and provide the energy company with readings,

I use a company called EBICO who might not be competitive for your usage level, as they are good for low energy users. But they use SSE to administer the account and they read the meter every 6 months. It is very easy with them, as you can just log in to an outline account to submit meter readings when an estimate has been used,

Get shot of British Gas and see who the cheapest is for your supply, based on your approximate usage per year.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I'm sure that in the industry codes of conduct somewhere – look at the regulator's website – that you will find that there is a requirement that they should be reading your meter at least once a year.

How long ago since you had anything other than an estimated bill?

Also, you are not bound to agree with their direct debit level. If you don't want to pay it then send them a formal letter saying that you do not agree to their new direct debit figure and the if they try to charge you anything extra you will make a complaint to the regulator and also you will evoke the direct debit guarantee from your bank.

Notice that British Gas are trying to do things on the telephone. It is not in your interest. You need to make sure that you implement the advice in our customer services guide and record everything. It is also in your interest that you make sure that everything that is agreed or everything that you refuse to agree is put done in writing and that they have a copy and that you keep a copy.

Do not trust your utilities company.

Do not trust British Gas

I think you've been given some very poor advice by someone who doesn't understand Direct Debit payment adequacy.

It's poor of BG not to have a check in place before these large increases, from past experience at a competitor, 'task lists' are generated for someone to look at the suggested increase, meter reads etc before contacting the customer by phone or letter to sort it out.

Have they attempted to read your meter? Suppliers must attempt to read the meter at least once every two years (license condition). If there has been no attempt to read the meter and they haven't requested a read, any shortfall is covered by the back billing code whereby suppliers cannot bill back more than 12 months

Have BG now corrected the bill and it was only £1.50 out? If so the DD should be fine as it is!

As far as I am aware they have not tried to read my meter

I retired a couple of years ago and so its no problem to be here for them.

I have a smart meter on my electric but even then they appear out of the blue to check it.

They told me several years ago I had to have a smart meter on my gas

so I arranged to leave work early to be here

- they did not turn up.

When I contacted them they said it wasn't compulsory so I told them to stick it.

I was not going out of my way to have time off work to be let down again.

I live in a rural area so they don't like going out of their way to read my meter.

British Gas have told me they have corrected the DD and sending out a new bill.

If the meter is inside of the house and they need to arrange an appointment that might be the reason for estimated bills all of the time.

Move to another supplier after checking on comparison sites and be able to submit your readings online for an accurate bill. At some point you will need to arrange for them to read the meter ( they have to for abuse reasons) or have a smart meter installed. It should be much easier to deal with other companies, but don't go to NPower.

It seems your relationship with British Gas has come to an end, as so many customers of their find. Both BG and NPower have lost so many customers over the years due to their poor customer services.

everyone can go online ond input their gas or electric readings.

p'haps if the OP actually did this

say once a month

the problem would never had occurred in the first place?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

:lol:

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I knew it would end up my fault

Not your fault entirely. But there was an option of providing BG with regular meter readings and calculating for yourself how much gas you were using.

£130 per month seems a lot for gas. Do you have a large older style 4 bed + house ? If not it might be worth seeing what energy saving changes you can make. E.g have a new boiler fitted.

yes I live in a very old 4 bed stone property and yes my bills are high. We have just gone through a rather cold winter period and I have used a lot of gas

Locally there is a chap who has a wood stove, which he uses for heating and hot water. He uses whatever wood he can get hold of and just has to pay electric. When you are paying £1500 a year in gas, when the UK has had a mild winter, you might start to question whether your current system is best going forward. If the UK had a really cold winter, i dread to think of what your bill will be like.

Where I live it has been a really cold winter and I have a wood burning stove in my lounge

but it only heats that room and yes I bow to my age and take a hot water bottle to bed. I

had a new boiler a few years ago but my house is 300 years old and not small and on 3 floors.

The sensible way forward would be to down size but not quite ready for that yet

- love the family visiting and staying over and the two flights of stairs keeps me fit

same here ..

mine costs me about £1500 yearly.

dx

and they

£1500 a year, is one reason i would never buy an older house. They have plenty of character, but at a price.