Past Due Credit Solutions chasing HMRC Tax credit overpayment. Help Please!

Sipea71
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2699 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

My wife and I have been claiming Tax credits pretty much since they began,

and have alway sent our renewal back on time and given correct figures.

according to our award notices for the last couple of years we were told that there had been an over payment,

and any future awards we recieved would be reduced by an amount to pay back the overpayment.

On Saturday my wife and I both recieved letters from a DCA called Past Due Credit solutions

saying they had been appointed by HMRC to recover £4738.56 regarding Tax Credits!

Then this morning I have received a text message from them asking for contact,

although the text message to my number was actually asking my wife to contact them!?

I have no idea about this debt although I did get a call about 6 months ago from Rossendales

who said they were calling on behalf of HMRC and I told them that we were paying back an overpayment

via our current rewards and that was last I heard of it.

I can only think that this was from a number of years ago as I was unemployed for 2 years in 2012/13

and have be working since but always kept my figures up to date with them even before my period of unemployment.

Is it possible that if this debt is very old that it could be statute barred?

Also if it is very old why have they started chasing now?

I don't know what to do, I certainly haven't got £4738.56

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Statute barred doesnt apply to hmrc overpayments

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Really! OK any ideas what I can do? I certainly don't have the money, and i've seen on here that some people have been told that it's too late to dispute the amount if it's been a long time. I'm really worried!

SAR to HMRC

make them PROVE the debt.

if you cant they cant.

certainly ignore the DCA

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

OK Thank you.

I'll keep this thread updated.

I'm on a night shift at the moment so wont be able to anything until wednesday when I should be back to reality.

no thats the one

well done

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Form filled in online and submitted!

Is it correct it did not ask me for any payment?

I also added this in the 'More information' section:

I have received a letter from a debt collection agent regarding an alledged overpayment amount of £4738.56 Ref:TDX X X X X X X

I do not acknowledge any overpayment to this magnitude and would like to request all details regarding how this alledged overpayment has arisen and a breakdown of dates .

Our current tax credit claim already includes deductions for overpayments and I have always kept my claim details up to date with you regarding salary so I don't understand how this amount can appear out of the blue. Our current Tax Credit award Clearly states an overpayment of £1006.16 up to the 5th April 2015

Although working we live on a very tight budget and certainly do not have £4738.56!

My wifes details are:

Mrs X X X X X X X X X NIN X X X X X X X X

I'll post back if I get any response, fingers crossed

Thanks for your advice

AFAIA there is no fee for a HMRC sar

See what comes back from it now

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

• 1 month later...

Hi

So this morning I have had a Jiffy bag turn up with about 200 pages of information dating back to 2003 consisting of copies of Tax credit renewal forms and screenshots of PC screens with account details and payments?

What now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

post 4

dx

and they

Post 4? Make them prove the debt?

I wouldn't know if this paperwork proves the debt or not! I can't get my head round it.

screenshots of 'view award summary'

from 2003 - 2004 shows:-

Recovored from other awards £2172.30

Overpayment outstanding £0.00

From 2004 - 2005

Recovored from other awards £3431.39

Overpayment Outstanding £207.66

AND THEN!

From 2005 - 2006

Recovored from other awards £119.38

Overpayment Outstanding £4045.91

AND THEN!

From 2006 - 2007

Recovored from other awards £0.00

Overpayment outstanding £0.00

Doesn't make any sense to me at all, or maybe I'm just dumb!?

Do you suggest just sit it out and see what happens?

Regards

Simon

As painstaking as it sounds you need to go through each years award and then compare the awards to the final award for that year to see if you received the correct amounts or were overpaid.

Check received amounts against bank statements if possible.

You have only posted about 3 yrs and theres about 200 pages as you say so all the info you need should be in there

Hi Martin

I have no access to any bank statements, I have changed banks a few times and moved house over the period specified :(( so not kept my paperwork :/ )

Thing is my existing claim incorporates a reduced payment for over payment of £1000 and something pounds already. This demand for 4738.56 has come from nowhere, even the paperwork they have sent shows £0 overpayment outstanding in the years following the figures I supply!

Confused?

So what does the rest say about the TC claims from 2008 onwards?

What you posted in #12 shows you owed nothing from 2006/7 TC claim

Hi Martin

Sorry for the delay in reply

I've been on Nightshift and not online for a few days.

Other years show

2007/2008 shows £108.18 recovored and £0 outstanding

2008/2009 shows £2084.83 recovored from this award with £0 from other awards and £0 outstanding

2009/2010 shows £0 recovored and £0 outstanding

20010/2011 shows0 recovored and £0 outstanding

2011/2012 shows £0 recovored and £484.99 outstanding

2012/2013 shows £0 recovored and £0 outstanding

2013/14 shows £580.76 recovored and £615 outstanding

2014/2015 shows £0 recovored and £0 outstanding

2015/2016 shows £0 recovored and £0 outstanding

My exisiting tax credit award clearly states that there is an overpayment of £1006.16 up to the 5th April 2015

and they will collect from future awards.

I don't have an issue with this

however I do have an issue with the demand for £4783.56 and letters from the DCA (who I have ignored)

Not sure what to do

I may book an appointment with my CAB

Suggest you write to Past Due Credit by recorded delivery stating that you have obtained copies of all paperwork from HMRC and they reveal there is no overpayment of tax credits of £4783 outstanding. All they show are tax credit overpayment of £1099.99 oustanding and HMRC are already dealing with this. Suggest to PDC that they go back to HMRC for more information, as you believe HMRC have provided them with inaccurate information. Send a copy of the letter to HMRC for their information.

Think you need to keep this is writing, challenging what is being chased, asking them to prove the debt amount.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

please ignore PDCS

writing to them simply gives them visions of grandeur

dx

and they

please ignore PDCS

writing to them simply gives them visions of grandeur

dx

Have PDCS been appointed to act as agents for HMRC ?

If the OP is to ignore PDCS, then i guess you are advocating just writing to HMRC ?

If no action is taken, then the OP will continue to be chased for an incorrect amount and presumably HMRC would take relevant action to enforce this ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

as with all HMRC or gov't debt

never ever play ball with a DCA

go directly to who thinks they are owed money

as post 4

and they

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Im having a similar problem with HMRC claiming an overpayment of £11 000. (Yes 11k!)

it seems on a year by year basis they keep getting our details and income wrong for pretty much 10 years and the 11k is from one year when they alledge that we never completed the renewal and are claiming an entire years worth of credits. (We have NEVER received that amount in a year and I dont think anyone else does either)

Suffce to say the supposedly owed amount changes every few months and HMRC seemingly cant make their minds up.

Ill start my own thread anyway but do I go for DX's advice on post 4 and ignore DCA number 3 thats badgering the wife?

you ALWAYS IGNORE a DCA on a GOV'T debt.

dx

and they

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I may be tempting fate here but since receiving hundreds of pages from HMRC, and immediately doing nothing back in may,I have heard nothing from either party.

Fingers crossed, they've realised their mistake

I'd suggest you call the helpline and ask them to confirm what the position is, for peace of mind, regarding Overpayments on your record. I'd suggest you ask which ones show as direct recovery and which are being collected from any ongoing claim.

From what I could see from the details you put up previously, the sum £4738.56 was for the amounts owed up to the end of the 2011/12 claim. It suggests these amounts are flagged as being recovered directly and not from ongoing claims. Others may be Cross Year, Cross Award or In Year collection which are taken from ongoing awards.

It helps to understand when you get an end of year award and it says £0 outstanding, that is only for that particular tax year award, not necessarily confirming all previous overpayments are cleared. For example, the 2006/07 final award may show £0 outstanding, but doesn't mean the 2005/06 overpayment has been cleared if it was set as direct recovery.

Edited by smokiejoe
Spelling