Cancelling booking and getting a refund?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last month on about the 18th we phoned a caravan site to make a booking for 2 weeks

and paid a deposit of £40 a week so £80 total.

We paid the deposit by debit card.

We never heard any further from them

earlier this week I chased it up with them by email asking for confirmation of booking.

the reply I got was asking me if the deposit had left my account.

I replied in the affirmative that the funds had been taken on the 18th.

They replied that I had a booking.

I emailed back asking them to confirm the dates which they then did by email.

They never sent us a brochure or anything about their T & Cs although the T & Cs are on their website.

You cannot do a booking over the Internet and have to phone them.

As we were in the area 3 days ago, we called in to view the site and inquire about the dog walk

which we thought was next to the site,

it is not and is a bit of a way to go to get to a walk.

Secondly we overlooked that the reason why the site was a bit cheaper in July because the electric is metered seperately.

Most other sites include it in the cost of the pitch.

The main reason for wanting to cancel is the fact that the dog walk is not nearby as indicated

and is nto associated with the site at all.

Also they were very vague about where to walk the dogs.

Do you think I have any chance of a refund if we cancel?

You may not be able to recover any deposit for cancellation. The kind of booking that you have made is not subject to any distance selling regulations and I think that you would have to show that in some way, what you booked was mis-described and therefore did not conform to the contract.

You say that they were vague about where to walk the dogs. This suggests to me that they made no particular representation about dog walking in their publicity or in the contract and so there is nothing there that you can rely upon.

It's not clear to me whether you have simply booked a caravan site – meaning a space for your own caravan or that you have booked caravan on that site

We have booked a space for our caravan on their site. They charge £0.50 per dog per night but offer no facilities for the dogs such as dog poo bins etc. No objection to the charge if they supplied these or a dog walk. We were hoping to find a "get out" as when viewing the surroundings it is a long walk to nearest walk into the woods or field.

We unfortunately made the assumption that you could simply walk off the caravan park onto a field to exercise the dogs and not have to go out the gate, walk along a busy road before being able to walk off. Nothing wrong with the site itself, except for the glitch reagrding our deposit.

Teach me to be more careful in future when choosing a site.