• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg... Fantastic waste of their money !

dinghy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Couple of days ago (13th April) sent off my DPA request through Egg's online secure mail...

All well and good... They reply back (14th) £2 / statement up to maximum of £10 which actually seems reasonable... Authorise them to take that from my card (not been taken yet so hope that remains the case :)) which they confirm on 15th

The bset part about all of this though... Today through the old letterbox drops individually posted statements ! Only got 6 through so far but... My postie's gonna love me tomorrow when he has to deliver another 66 of them !!!!!! :) :) :)

Is this just me or have they been doing this for everyone ???

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

Seek advice of a qualified, insured, professional if you have any doubts.

Is this just me or have they been doing this for everyone ???

Different banks have been doing different things - they just haven't got a clue what's happening. The important thing is to keep an eye on the 40 day deadline.

Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Update:-

Got most of statements through from egg although missing a whole year of statements. Emailed them through website letting them know of this 'oversight' hopefully they should come through with the remainder of them shortly ! :D

If you have found this post (or any other post) useful ensure you click on the scales in the top right of that post to give credit where credit is due.:D

DO YOU HAVE A WEBSITE AND WANT TO PROVIDE A VALUABLE LINK TO THIS FORUM ? Go to this thread:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=52854

As ever, with (I believe most if not) all advice given on this website, I am not qualified to give any advice and you are duly warned that any decisions are your own decisions made on your own account and no liability will be accepted for any advice followed ! Use your own judgment.

DPA request quote]

Whats a DPA request?

HSBC, FS £100

Hfax Credit Card Full Settlement £330

Lloyds FS £503 (had to do moneyclaim + allocation questionaires

Halifax Full Settlement £979

Lloyds Credit Card Moneyclaim raised.

03/05/06 Fraud case with Egg resolved after 2 1/2 months!, full refund of fraud amount+interest+charges (£1060). Apology and cheque for £300 - BBC Working Lunch helped scare them into action.

CMDenny - you must read the FAQ's - it's all in there.

...but, it's a Data Protection Act (subject access) request.

A list of all charges made on the account - they have to provide it under the DPA as it's 'personal information' about you, and therefore you are legally entitled to it and they are legally bound not to charge more than £10 for it - as they are the data controllers that would have to be registered with the IC's office.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Update:-

Got most of statements through from egg although missing a whole year of statements. Emailed them through website letting them know of this 'oversight' hopefully they should come through with the remainder of them shortly ! :D

Got reply...

Apologising that I've not recieved them and will re-post and not charge me again as already been charged... (Not that I've seen any charges go through !:D ) They have been fairly prompt with these at least :D

Finally got last year of statements !

Only got another £20 on them though unfortunately... Still... Off I go to claim them back ! :D

Give Egg their due... They are prompt with their response...

Just recieved this from them...

Dear Dinghy

We have noted the announcement made by the Office of Fair Trading on 5th April 2006 regarding credit card default charges.

We are pleased that the OFT has recognised that Egg has practices in place to make it as easy as possible for customers to pay their monthly credit card bill, which includes the requirement to set up a Direct Debit prior to receiving an Egg Card or Egg Money card.

We have worked closely with the OFT throughout this inquiry and now intend to study closely the key principles set out in their statement.

For further information regarding our charges please go to section 7 of the Egg Card Credit Agreement - new.egg.com/visitor/0,,3_11087--View_1068,00.html

If we feel that our charges should be adjusted, this will only take effect from the date that the charges are adjusted. Therefore, I'll be unable to amend any charges you've received before this date.

Thanks for your message.

Regards

Christopher Wilson

Internet Customer Services

I have responded thus:-

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Mr Wilson,

I apreciate that you have noted the OFTs response and that you have worked closely with them throughout their investigation. The OFT did not however conclude a 'fair' charge that credit card companies could charge. They did however conclude that anything over £12 was certainly unreasonable.

This however is entirely irrelevant to my request.

As stated before I believe these charges to be a penalty and section 7 is therefore a penalty clause and thus unenforceable both under the common-law in England & Wales and also under both the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation and the Unfair Contract Terms Act. Since these terms are unlawful you cannot enforce them.

If in the alternative you claim that these are a 'fee' for services rendered then I personally do not believe they are proportionate as required by the Supply of Goods and Services Act. (In fact the OFT ruling clearly supports this contention)

Your swift responses in this matter thus far are apreciated and I hope that we can resolve this amicably in the near future. Can I however draw your attention to the 14 days notice stipulated in my original request (starting 04/05) which I will presume you will keeping to.

Regards

Dinghy

Hopefully this will let them know that I mean business and will just pay up ! :D

Hopefully this will let them know that I mean business and will just pay up ! :D

I guess not... Got this condescending reply...

Dear Dinghy

The overlimit charges can't be refunded as they were applied correctly.

Your monthly statements always show an estimated interest for next month's statement. Therefore giving you an idea of how much you can spend without going over your agreed credit limit.

The charges are also in our terms and conditions regarding the charges to which you agreed at the time if your application.

Your views regarding the charges have been logged in our complaints procedure.

Thanks for your message.

Regards

Fazia Banaras

Roll on the 14th day...

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is only for £80 !!!! Thought these xxxxxxx *********** were supposed to just roll over for small amounts like this...

Anyway... To keep anyone checking in up to date on this... LBA gone today...

As previously stated I firmly believe that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to exceeding credit limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I require repayment in full of the £80 which you have charged me. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus my costs and without further notice. Once again could I request that you please furnish me with the address to which a summons should be posted if this becomes necessary.

Regards

Dinghy

Moderated - please be aware of the potential for libel action.

Seems almost petty of them to fight you, considering you have specifically quoted why you find the charges unacceptable (and they should know that these are the reasons you'll quote and which'll win you the case if it went to court) - having already refunded thousands they have clearly (if not officially) agreed that we're right so why waste so much time quibbling? Christ, our time is cheaper than theirs!

Seems almost petty of them to fight you, considering you have specifically quoted why you find the charges unacceptable (and they should know that these are the reasons you'll quote and which'll win you the case if it went to court) - having already refunded thousands they have clearly (if not officially) agreed that we're right so why waste so much time quibbling? Christ, our time is cheaper than theirs!

It certainly does... You would think it must have cost them more in time already to investigate this than to just give me the £80 back...

Here's their latest response....

Dear Dinghy,

I'm sorry to hear that you believe the over limit fees have been applied to your account unfairly, however, details of these charges were contained within the Egg Card Terms and Conditions document that you signed and accepted on completion of your appliation.

Please also be aware that as the cardholder it's your responsibility to ensure that your account remains within its limit at all times, had your balance stayed within it's limit no charges would have been applied.

In view of the nature of your grievance, I've forwarded your message onto our Customer Relations Office for further investigation. I anticipate that they'll contact you within five working days.

Thanks for your message.

Regards

Zoe Burnett

What do we think ? 3rd time lucky ?

Dear Sirs,

For the third time of asking could you please furnish me with the correct address to serve a summons upon if, as it seems likely from your current correspondance, you fail to discuss a suitable settlement for this complaint and leave me with no option but court action.

Regards

Dinghy

Finally got an address (of some sorts) from egg... Along with more delaying bulls@&!e...

Dear Dinghy

I'm sorry you feel this way, however as you exceeded your agreed credit limit, and have signed a contract with us, agreeing to all charges I'm unable to offer any sort of refund.

If you'd like to make a formal complaint, please write to our Customer Relations Office at the address below:

Customer Relations Office

Egg

Pride Park

Riverside Road

Derby

DE99 3GG

Once they've received your complaint, they'll investigate it and contact you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, please click on the link below and it'll take you to our complaints procedure online:

new.egg.com/visitor/0,,3_37155--View_162,00.html

Incase you're unaware, an official complaint has to be handled by our Customer Relations Office before the Ombudsman can be involved.

Thanks for your message.

Regards

Phil Gardner

Not sure if this is the correct address to serve summons on (will have another scout around here when the time comes) but I guess they are at least reading part of my messages now !

Figured I'd best point out to them that I knew that this was already in the hands of their customer relations office and that I wouldn't be delayed...

Dear Sirs,

To avoid any misunderstanding, I would like to ensure that you are aware that copies of the messages sent on 4th May at 19:15 and 19 May at 14:46 have both been sent to the Customer Relations Office at the below address and I had believed that they were a party to this e-message correspondance too since you informed me in your messages of 8th May at 08:17 and 20th May at 11:59 that it was being logged in your complaints procedure and forwarded to your Customers Relations Office respectively.

As I have clearly indicated in our correspondance, whilst I understand that clauses were in the contract with regards to overlimit charges I do not believe that these clauses are legally valid and whilst a complaint to the ombudsman may be in order at a later time I firmly believe that the courts are the correct forum to resolve an issue such as this.

Again, to avoid any misunderstandings please let me draw your attention to my final deadline for resolution of this as stated in my letter of 19th May of 14 days from said date (ie 2nd June 2006) This will have given you 28 days to resolve this dispute, in my opinion, plenty of time in which a company of your size should have satisfactorily addressed this matter especially in regards to a relatively limited sum such as this.

Regards

Dinghy

Looking back over this, it's quite amusing the responses I'm getting...

Heard these charges are unlawful - want my money back. What's your address

OFT actually praised us for our procedures. Even if we decide what we were doing was unlawful we won't backdate it.

Thought that was generous of them !;)

These charges are unlawful. What's your address

Can't be refunded. Been applied correctly.

These charges are unlawful. What's your address.

Can't be refunded. Been applied correctly.

What's your address.

Can't be refunded. Been applied correctly.... oh and btw - Our address is... And you gotta speak to CRO first.

This one cracks me up most... I didn't even ask about the charges... Just wanted an address !:lol:

Poke it up your a@$!e I've sent correspondance to your CRO as have you, you ain't fobbing me off. Oh and btw these charges are unlawful.

Rarely do any of their letters actually say anything different or even seem like an actual response to what you have said...:-x

Third time lucky for " escalation" to their Customer Relations Office ?

Dear Dinghy

Thanks for informing us of this.

I've also logged a complaint for you and escalated this to our Customer Relations Office.

Your complaint reference number is EGG/XXXXXX/2006.

Expect to hear from us again shortly.

Thanks for your message.

Regards

Lauren Shaw

Hmmm...

Just got email through from egg amending my T&C's increasing the APR on my account...

Connected ?

Keep Going mate- you will get there.

HSBC, FS £100

Hfax Credit Card Full Settlement £330

Lloyds FS £503 (had to do moneyclaim + allocation questionaires

Halifax Full Settlement £979

Lloyds Credit Card Moneyclaim raised.

03/05/06 Fraud case with Egg resolved after 2 1/2 months!, full refund of fraud amount+interest+charges (£1060). Apology and cheque for £300 - BBC Working Lunch helped scare them into action.

Keep Going mate- you will get there.

Oh I have no doubt about that...

It's just the apparent retaliatory increase in the interest rate that annoys me !

SM_explotar2jr.gif

Bravo, sir..

Actually feel less bad about the licence fee now I know at least my contribution's worth goes somewhere to actually help someone rather than all going on Celebrity Saturday Night Pop Fever Star On Ice Live or whatever...

Plus anyone who sticks it to Egg is alright by me..

Hi Dinghy,

Waiting to see how you go with Egg before I start my claim (I know, am chicken- just Egg seems a bit more tricky than the others I'm claiming for!!).

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I received the same email from Egg on the 24th advising of their increase in APR and I have not started my claim at all yet.

So they're not just picking on you, it's all of us! Suppose they need to get their money back from all these claims somehow!

Good luck with everything...

SB

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks