Returning to nursing after being struck off

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1802 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I was employed for 7 years as a support worker/assistant nurse I trained as a psychiatric nurse (4 years) I then worked for private health care (the priory) for 18 months, then moved on to work for the NHS (high secure services) I worked here for 4 years.

In the last 3 months of my employment, I made 4 medication errors. (none at any other time in my career) No patient was harmed. I have no criminal record. At the time I made the mistakes I was going through a divorce from my wife of 18 years. I was under an extreme amount of stress. I left the job when I had a car crash on my way to work. I was not sacked. I continued to practice as an agency nurse for 8 months with no other problems. within this time the NHS employers sent me for a psychiatric evaluation.

I was still experiencing a lot of stress so I agreed to go. 2 weeks later I had been given a diagnosis by post of a serious mental health disorder. On top of this I received a letter from The nursing council stating that The NHS had whistle blown to them about my practice, subsequently they had sent me a letter saying I was struck off. I was in so much stress and anxiety at the diagnosis that I didnt contest the ruling.

I ignored the letter feeling disillusioned and upset that they had taken my lively hood away after so much training and practice. The diagnosis was wrong. I have never experienced psychosis and have never taken anti psychotic medication. As An ex nurse I realised that denying you have the condition is seen as no insight and subsequently a person would be hospitalised because of the presumed risk of not complying with medication.

I have never been sectioned or been in hospital I realised that if I had denied it the potential for me being hospitalised and forced to take medication, would have potentially ruined my life further. And so for 8 years i kept up a face for the health professionals, It took me at least 3 years to get my head together, enough to return to university to complete a masters degree. I am now back to my usual self and have regained my self worth and esteem.

I now wish to return to my nursing career. The NMC states that to be reinstated to the register you have to have a period of 5 years away from practice. I would also have to attend a panel meeting in London to be assessed. My question is, I have a serious mental illness (on paper) although I am considered well because they believe the medication has helped my over time. (which I have never taken) .

I desperately want to return to my career, does anyone know if my circumstances would make this an impossibility.?

Edited by citizenB
spacing

Thread moved the appropriate forum.....(Employment)

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

I would guess that you have not received any suggestions as your question is outside of the immediate experience of many who read these forums - as indeed it is outside of my own sphere.

What you have already posted is probably the extent of my knowledge - that to re-register with the NMC a period of 5 years must elapse and then you would have to appear in front of a panel. From looking at the NMC website it seems that much emphasis is placed on the reasons for your de-registration and how you have overcome the events that led to being struck off. I would suggest that good medical support and evidence from medical professionals would be key to this, as would strong affirmations from potential referees. If your Masters is in a subject related to your career then I would imagine that this would carry weight as the NMC questions include ways in which you have kept up to date with the profession.

You have no doubt already looked at this page https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/returning-to-the-register/readmissions-after-fitness-to-practise-sanction so all I can suggest is that you look at the requirements and make sure that you meet or exceed the criteria. Have well rehearsed answers to any potential question (and expect some of them to fairly probing about your medical situation and how well it is managed) and be prepared to absolutely sell yourself. They will want to be confident that you are not only serious about re-registration but that you have clear career ambitions, plans for immediate employment and the desire to still be an exemplary nurse.

I sincerely wish you well with this and am sorry that I have nothing more than fairly generic advice

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!