Mobile networks set to be forced to unlock phones for free

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

UK mobile networks look set to be forced to make it free to unlock phones at the end of customers' contracts, it was announced in The Budget.

Currently, each major network offers different options to consumers who want their phone unlocked, with most charging for the privilege. Unlocking a phone allows customers to switch networks as they please.

Following this week’s Budget, the government says that all mobile users should be able to have their handset unlocked at the end of their deal without paying.

While it is hoping to get networks to sign up voluntarily, the government has promised to pass laws to force networks to comply if an agreement can’t be reached.

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2016/03/mobile-networks-set-to-be-forced-to-unlock-phones-for-free/?utm_campaign=insight&utm_content=160321&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uswitch&utm_term=mobiles-content-pod

About time. It's outrageous that after charging you over the odds for the handset that the providers could then ask for more money just to unlock it. I think the usual rate they would charge was about £25 (Or that's what EE wanted from me a few years ago, it was at that point I went Sim only and started just buying my handsets outright, far cheaper in the long run)

About time. It's outrageous that after charging you over the odds for the handset that the providers could then ask for more money just to unlock it. I think the usual rate they would charge was about £25 (Or that's what EE wanted from me a few years ago, it was at that point I went Sim only and started just buying my handsets outright, far cheaper in the long run)

EE is around £15 now. Trouble is that often they ignore requests.

EE is around £15 now. Trouble is that often they ignore requests.

£8.99, and it's very annoying that you have to phone them to get it done. But, give them their due, they said it would take about 1 week for the unlock code to arrive, and it did, and it worked 1st time!

3 Mobile contract phones are not locked when you get them

Both Vodafone and 02, When i had them, I just waited until i went on my first holiday, And asked them to unlock them, So i could put a local sim card in when i got there

Neither charged me

Tesco Mobile never charged me about 4 months ago, still waiting on them unlocking the phone though !!!

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

When I asked Vodafone about unlocking my smartphone I was told it wasn't locked. Sure enough I popped in another providers sim card and it worked. However am still saddled with all of Vodafone's bloatware which I'm sure affects the phones performance as it takes ages to start up and is very laggy.