The role of faith in the UK

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At this time of year, you always get debates on the various Religions and their role in the world

Personally, although i attended Church of England schools with prayers at assemblies and the school choir at a local church, i am not a practicing Christian. I attend Funerals, Weddings and am interested in religion, but i don't attend a church on a regular basis.

I find that in other countries they take religion far more seriously. In Spanish Towns when the church bells ring, the town closes down almost, with people heading to the church. They do this during weekly prayers, religious festivals and funerals. In Australia, i have seen traffic jams, as people make their way to church. Australia takes their Christian faith much more seriously than the UK. I think it is the same in America.

Is Religion important to you ? Do you attend church on a regular basis ? Does your local church play an important role in the local community ? Is the UK really still a Christian country ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

At this time of year, you always get debates on the various Religions and their role in the world

Personally, although i attended Church of England schools with prayers at assemblies and the school choir at a local church, i am not a practicing Christian. I attend Funerals, Weddings and am interested in religion, but i don't attend a church on a regular basis.

I find that in other countries they take religion far more seriously. In Spanish Towns when the church bells ring, the town closes down almost, with people heading to the church. They do this during weekly prayers, religious festivals and funerals. In Australia, i have seen traffic jams, as people make their way to church. Australia takes their Christian faith much more seriously than the UK. I think it is the same in America.

Is Religion important to you ? Do you attend church on a regular basis ? Does your local church play an important role in the local community ? Is the UK really still a Christian country ?

Well another interesting thread.

I will be quite honest.I used to go to sunday school,then the choir,solos,church at least a couple of times a week.Sang at Christmas,Easter times like that.

Now the questions,my honest answers.

Is Religion important to you ?

Not as important as it was when my family was closely knitted together.And i was young.

My elders in the family ensured we would go,brought up with going to church.

However i do keep on friendly terms with vicars etc when i see them,just for possibilities in the future.And have a chat.

I do not like the idea of going to the other side,shall we say without all options still open.

At times of great stress or terrible events happening i do say a prayer or two.And visit people who have passed on,to have a chat to them.At the cemetery ,makes me feel better strangely enough.

So religion i suppose is still there in the back of my mind.

People now seem to have such busy lives.

Does your local church play an important role in the local community ?

Does as best as it can i suppose.Vicars etc are busy people.Sometimes spread out across a few parishes i have read.

Is the UK really still a Christian country ?

Changing slowly i would say.Some would perhaps say quicker than they would like.

I have not done any research on this.But could easily find out.So i could be wrong.

I think religions are the utter bane of the world.

So many people assume religious means spiritual, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Now I have faith that many religious people are both good and spiritual, but I think that is despite religions, not because of them.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

That seems straightforwardly corrupt.  Shouldn’t they both be in jail?”

Is religion important to me? Personally, yes. I'm not overtly faithful myself but I've found comfort during very difficult times from hospital chaplains who have been there as it's happening and caring enough to take time with people. I also take time to explain christianity to my son, not to force him into anything but to help him see the values that the stories try to engender and to enable him to make an informed choice about his faith when he's mature enough to do so. It's worth adding that more time is probably spent explaining the sciences to him.

Do I attend Church regularly? No.

Does the church play an important part in our community? We're in a very rural community that's traditionally very pious, so yes it does.

Is the UK still a Christian country? Seeing as the Christian faith, on the whole, tries to teach love and tolerance I'd say yes.

The key thing in all of this is to separate the acts of an individual or group from their religious affiliations. There will always be good people and there will always be bad people, religion is a separate issue entirely. People may try to justify their actions in the name of religion but it takes a bad person to do a bad thing.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

My personal opinion

I'm not religious. I was brought up protestant attending Sunday school and things like that however neither I nor anyone else I know has kept it up

I still believe that there is more to life than what we can see. I still believe that there probably is something higher but I am unsure what

I do believe however that everyone is free to believe whatever they wish. However I think that many of the main religions need to start making concessions to each other and to work together more

One of these areas is interfaith burials at the moment there must be hundreds of mixed religion couples who are worrying that they won't be together for the final rest.

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

One of these areas is interfaith burials at the moment there must be hundreds of mixed religion couples who are worrying that they won't be together for the final rest.

Now despite claims regarding the jealous and demanding God of the old testament, would any 'God worth his salt be so petty as to separate 2 loving souls?

What does it say about the beliefs of those who would think that their God would do that?

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

That seems straightforwardly corrupt.  Shouldn’t they both be in jail?”

It's not the gods beliefs but differences in the churches meaning many couples may end up in separate burial grounds

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: