Stowaways have cost fruit importer £350k. (daily mail)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Stowaway migrants have cost one fruit and vegetable

importer over £350,000 in a year.

Vehicles carrying produce for a firm called Gomez have been broken

into 15 times over the last 12 months leaving the family run firm to pick up the bill.

In the past 4 weeks alone £80,000 of veg and fruit had to be ditched.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3508801/Stowaway-migrants-cost-fruit-importer-350-000-breaking-lorries-15-times-year.html

This has been going for years now, what I want to know is why are these haulage companies

not doing more to protect their vehicles, and drivers?

Thousands of illegal immigrants have come into this country over the years, you can watch them

on television, and see how they are managing to break into vehicles, we should have been able to

stop this by now, it’s just shame that none of these firms are doing enough to stop it, there must be away.

The sooner the better.

Edited by citizenB
added quote

'In the main, most of these people are young men between 17 and 28, all fit, all on their mobile phones as soon as they get off the lorry, all smoking, all happy,' he said.

'We know that not all of them are from places where there are wars. It makes us angry that it's costing us and potentially threatening our employees' jobs.'

Insurance companies do not cover loss of produce due to migrants breaking into the lorries and Gomez is not compensated in any way.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3508801/Stowaway-migrants-cost-fruit-importer-350-000-breaking-lorries-15-times-year.html#ixzz43x4V5ixF

'I’m a trucker not an immigration officer'

Lorry drivers have long been attracted to the job by the freedom of the road. But some say that in Calais, northern France, they are now taking on the role of amateur immigration officer. I spent three days with those travelling through the port town.

"I opened the door with another driver and I had six adults and a baby in the trailer," Euan Fleming tells me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33066763

From what I understand - if they do have good security - the immigrants will simply damage the vehicle. Some of the immigrants are also quite violent and the drivers are not receiving any help from the French !! Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It would appear that firms are doing everything they can to prevent immigrants stowing on/in their vehicles and yes, I agree that they should do this.

But there is only so much you can do to prevent a really determined group of young men as we have seen reported. Jumping on to the roof of a Eurostar train, walking along the tracks, hanging under a vehicle !

I wonder how many fines Eurotunnel/Eurostar have been given - none I bet ?

What should the company and driver of the one below have done ?

In 2013, three migrants jumped on to the roof of one of his trucks from a motorway bridge.

They cut through the tarpaulin cover and were found by British immigration officers during checks at Calais.

The company was fined £900, and the driver £600.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35807136

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you look at the photographs in this article, you have riot police patrolling the footpaths along side a queue of vehicles waiting to go through the control points and hundreds of immigrants waiting to test the locks on the vehicles.. quite brazen about it as well !

In January 2016 scores of migrants managed to storm a P&O ferry in the port after breaking away from a demonstration in the town.

Following the incident, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said extra forces, including riot police, gendarmes and border units, had been mobilised for several months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33267137

BCOBS

French police have been widely criticised for taking migrants off lorries, driving them a few miles away then releasing them - free to walk back to Calais.

But many undocumented migrants are arrested - reportedly more than 18,000 in the first half of 2015.

The problem, police say, is that there are simply too many to arrest and deal with.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33267137

So, they simply dont bother and let the poor lorry driver and his boss take the flak !

BCOBS

I am beginning to wonder if it is really worth putting anything in

the Bear Garden! it seem to me that if a member of the site team

does not like your thread/post or it conflicts with that persons

opinion, even if the statement itself is not controversial, it is changed

or added to, or just taken out.

Why was my thread No:1 added to? their was no need to add to my post

as I stated its source, which meant it was easily accessible, you could if

you wished to add something put it in as a separate thread.

But then on a number of occasions I have had my post altered, I find this

extremely unfair, and off putting, especially as the team member is anonymise.

My apologies, if you look closely, you will see that it is "citizenB" (me) who did the edit..

It has become 2nd nature for me to do this to your posts now as you had previously not added links or had copied over too much.

As long as you continue to add links, I will leave you alone in future.

As you are concerned that I added more weight to your original post by adding from the same article, I have removed it and popped it in a post I made.

Edited by citizenB

BCOBS