Universal Credit - how much work do I have to do in a day?

DottieP
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2855 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ideally, your benefits advisor will want to see your job search activity via Universal Jobmatch. Your advisor may vary from the official rule which is that you spend 35 hours a week on your job search.

When you sign up for UC the advisor should give you some information sheets explaining how to record your job search. Did you get them?

DottieP. It's better that you apply for it before relying on advice from us.

I am not doubtful in my own advice but rather because the benefit is a new one, it is quite likely that different Jobcentres are implementing it differently.

This 35 hour rule is on the premise that they want all claimants to secure full time work - 35 hours - and if you are not working, you must be spending that time on job searching.

I am sure your advisor may be able to negotiate something that concurs with your circumstances.

One thing to bear in mind is that Universal Credit is going to change again soon because there is a digital service that is being piloted in Croydon, London and Ashton, Manchester. Don't ask me how that is going to look like when it rolls out in full though - I haven't the foggiest. :-)

Ok thanks - my other problem is that ideally I would want part time work so that I can build a part time business as well but this is going to stop me in my tracks. I feel so trapped, life is so unfair

I would not want you to speculate about stuff with someone over a forum!

I have never been a claims handler nor will I be work coach so things may not go as I set out above.

For instance, I have been signed off work by my doctor due to stress and anxiety, so this means that although I am on UC I am not expected to complete 35 hours of job hunting in a week, rather 10.

If you have an idea for a business and your advisor accepts your proposition, they can similarly reduce your job search hours.

My concern about the upcoming change to UC is not so much an issue that affects you as clearly you can use a computer. UC will soon be administered through an online portal! What is going to happen to claimants who do not have a pc/internet connection/pc knowledge?

My understanding is legally 35 hours isn't quite enforceable but they do pressure you to do that

UJM is yours to choose whether to allow or deny permission.

Make sure you understand what is expected of you as they live to move the goalposts

There'll be minimum amounts for a day like 3 or 4 hours jobsearch but that's expected over 5 days I think and not 7

Good luck

yeh just don't let em make you feel you gotta do 35 hrs job searching challenge that if you want to ie come to a balanced view between yourself and your job coach on how many hours your agreeable with per week and then make that part of your CC (Claimant Commitment).... the DWP "motto" is (or should be) quality over quantity when It comes to job searching

Thanks jason2723637, sounds fair to me - also one thing that I've been wondering about - if your coach 'sends' you a job to apply for - do you have to apply for it or can you reject it. I was on JSA quite a few years ago and the advisor then would show me a job on the screen and I would hum and I about it and one day he said 'you don't have to apply for any job I show you, you know but IF you ask me to print off the details for you, you have to follow through all the way'. Does this still apply?

Thanks jason2723637, sounds fair to me - also one thing that I've been wondering about - if your coach 'sends' you a job to apply for - do you have to apply for it or can you reject it. I was on JSA quite a few years ago and the advisor then would show me a job on the screen and I would hum and I about it and one day he said 'you don't have to apply for any job I show you, you know but IF you ask me to print off the details for you, you have to follow through all the way'. Does this still apply?

I have not been on UC but like you on JSA if they print it out then you have to apply I would think it may be the same with UC others who know more about UC can better reply

• 2 months later...
Ideally, your benefits advisor will want to see your job search activity via Universal Jobmatch. Your advisor may vary from the official rule which is that you spend 35 hours a week on your job search.

When you sign up for UC the advisor should give you some information sheets explaining how to record your job search. Did you get them?

The Regulations continue to state that a) candidates may only be forced to sign up to Universal Job Match if a Job Seekers Direction is issued, and even then the candidate would only be forced to create an account, create a profile, upload a CV, make that CV Searchable, and from the Universal Job Match Toolkit, b) the introducion of Universal Job Match makes not change to the General Regulations and candidates cannot be forced to provide access to their Universal Job Match (if they have created an account), and c) the Job Seeker may provided evidence of their Job Search Activity using whatever means they choose. Sufficient evidence will be provided by the traditional Job Search Diary, and Job Printouts or Screenshots taken by a Mobile Phone/Tablet.