fine abroad in Hungary EPC euro parking /Contractum Collections sent me fine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was driving in Hungary last summer and paid to drive on the motorway like i did the year before,

i then received a letter from Euro Carparks EPC stating that i had been fine £54

but it was not clear what it was for

t hey sent me picture photos,

I tried to telephone them put after several attempts gave up because no one answered

i email them and they took a couple for weeks to reply

they said I had not paid the correct toll for my vehicle,

I paid the fine and then received a letter stating that it had gone up to £185.

because i had paid the fine i ignored

one month late I get another letter stating that I had paid no fine

and owed £185 and that it had to be paid by the 28th March,

I emailed them and sent a recorded letter as advised to do by CAB.

and again I waited a week until I received an email stating that I now owe £127.

and I quote on this email it said

''Please note that any further communication which does not contain new pertinent information

or evidence will not be entertained or replied to.

Where do I stand do I pay it and put it down to experience or where do I stand if i don't pay it.

Hi, I have moved your thread to the correct forum, where I am sure there will be someone who can help you.

This is purely an administrative move and you will still be able to find and post on your thread.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I live in another EU country and as far as I know there is no mechanism in place to make the keeper of a British-registered car, for example, pay a fine for driving in Hungary, for example, once you've left Hungary.

At least I've always operated on that basis.

I don't want to be rude, but given you had paid for the motorway, why did you pay the fine?

Is the car a British-registered vehicle? Are you British yourself?

And how did they get your address? Last time I paid for the motorway in Hungary I simply stated my registration number, nothing else.

I'm not an expert on this forum but I have some experience, albeit some time ago, of similar problems to yours.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I think you will find it is not a FINE

and nowhere do theyuse thay word?

its a motorway toll levied by a private company

but even if it is a 'fine'

there is nowt they can do to you .

ignore

just been away to read their website

so these are 'offences' and they I think rather cleverly use the words penalty and fines

but if you read the small print carefully

it says that even if it were legally enforceable & judged against in the country it was 'committed' in

it doesn't mean its legally enforceable in another until it has been judged their!

very clever wording

https://cse.google.co.uk/cse?cx=partner-pub-0964707606882478:652l7hswbgv&ie=UTF-8&q=EPC+euro+parking+company+&sa=Search+CAG#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=EPC%20euro%20parking%20company&gsc.page=1

I see we've dealt with them before too

its a company [private] that 'buys' fines/penalties

or more importantly

is allowed access to the data.

urm..like in 2009

I smell a rat.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Over the years I've had a few fines in other EU countries with a British-registered car, not because I think it's OK to act like an idiot abroad, but due to ignorance and on one occasion because of incredibly-misleading signs.

I never paid any of them.

Nothing whatsoever happened to me.

but even if it is a 'fine'

there is nowt they can do to you .

dx

Spot on.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

As an aside, are you sure that the original fine by Hungarian motorways was issued correctly? It's easy to check here http://toll-charge.hu/articles/article/pricing if you purchased the vignette for the correct period and for the correct category of vehicle.

But this is an aside, EPC can do nothing anyway, and it's a pity you paid the original £54.

It wasnt a fine

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for the advice the letter off Euro Parking Collection PLC states that it is a fine and that they are acting on the behalf of national toll payment services of Hungary. and that i have paid for the wring category of vehicle.

it as penalty charge notice on the letter.

the new letter as Contractum Collections on it and is the same address as Euro Parking Collection plc.

It is a uk registered van.

so EPC must have got my details form DVLA.

It can state whatever it wants. Its not a fine. If it does state its a fine, then it could be reported

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Under eu law you can be sued for the money in a Hungarin court and you then get the matter transferred to your local county court.

EPC cannot represent whoever in Hungary as the debt cannot be assigned and they cant sue in their own name either.

Do you think that they are going to spend an absolute fortune on this?

You have paid the original amount and an unlwful admin charge already

so they see you as a mug who is likely to pay up again.

Do you intend to travel there again?

If not then nothing whatsoever to think about. If yes, dont go in that van.

Complaint to the DVLA about releasing your details when there is no cause to do so.

Thanks for the advice

just worried that I might have bailiffs knocking on the door.

But i will just ignore the letters now i feel that i have done enough with paying the original amount they asked for.

But thanks again to for all the advice I have received.

then you dont understand the difference between a bailiff and a dca.

This is quite common, you wont see a bailiff until you have been taken to court,

lost the case

and then failed to pay any debt

and then ignored another letter saying the matter was being taken back to court for enforcement.

dca's send out letters because they are paid to.

They make the letters look very scary by hinting that something nasty will happen if you dont pay.

Itinerant fortune tellers sometimes do the same so just lump the 2 together in your mind and leave it at that.

• 10 months later...

Im curious?

Did EPC actually try to follow this up and pursue their nonsense?

I know someone in a similar predicament and Im wondering what to advise them.

My gut feeling is to suggest they ignore the letters, but they are written in a threatening manner.

you tell them to totally ignore it

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...