Car written off - can I seek 2nd opinon?

bristolmary
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2952 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have a car which was a Cat C - repairs were done and insurers were happy for it to be back on the road.

Two weeks ago I was hit on a roundabout by a driver turning right from a straight on lane. Car went to Dingmasters in Bristol who have told me today that my car is write off. The damage was a dent above the rear passenger wheel arch and scratch to paint work.

I'm not in a situation where I can find the money that easily for a new car after a few months unemployment. I have asked for the car back which they have said will be today.

Can I seek a second opinion from another garage or will the insurance refuse?

If they also say no (the garage) I've heard people talk about buying the car from the insurers - can I do that? Though it means paying twice for it and will it be easy to insure?

thanks

Mary

Hi

I have a car which was a Cat C - repairs were done and insurers were happy for it to be back on the road.

Two weeks ago I was hit on a roundabout by a driver turning right from a straight on lane. Car went to Dingmasters in Bristol who have told me today that my car is write off. The damage was a dent above the rear passenger wheel arch and scratch to paint work.

I'm not in a situation where I can find the money that easily for a new car after a few months unemployment. I have asked for the car back which they have said will be today.

Can I seek a second opinion from another garage or will the insurance refuse?

If they also say no (the garage) I've heard people talk about buying the car from the insurers - can I do that? Though it means paying twice for it and will it be easy to insure?

thanks

Mary

Of course you can get another garage to take a look and quote for repair. If you can get it repaired cheaper than write off value, your Insurers will agree to that.

It is your car until you agree a write off accepting payment from the Insurers and let them take it away.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Great thanks. Sounds daft but was the last thing my mum bought me before she suddenly died so am stupidly attached to it more than I should be!

Are you still able to buy cars from the insurance companies?

Great thanks. Sounds daft but was the last thing my mum bought me before she suddenly died so am stupidly attached to it more than I should be!

Are you still able to buy cars from the insurance companies?

If you think about it.

Any car belongs to its owner until they agree to sell it to the Insurers in lieu of a write off. If there is a change of mind after write off agreed, it is up to the new owner the Insurers whether they wish to sell it back. If they have already sold it on to a salvage company, they might not be able to.

I think what often happens is that a car gets recovered, it is written off and it then proceeds towards settlement. By the time some people decide they want the car back, it is already on its way to a salvage yard. If people have not received the write off settlement and not agreed to it, then it is still their car, so can be recovered wherever it is.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for this.

It's going to another garage this weekend to be looked at. Hoping they can pull something out the bag.

Thanks for your quick replies on this I do appreciate it! Have a good weekend.

I think what often happens is that a car gets recovered, it is written off and it then proceeds towards settlement. By the time some people decide they want the car back, it is already on its way to a salvage yard. If people have not received the write off settlement and not agreed to it, then it is still their car, so can be recovered wherever it is.

The Insurer would get in big trouble if they dispose / sell the car on before they've agreed and paid their customer for the write off value as it belongs to the customer until then