Issues with second hand car bought from a small dealer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Posting this on behalf of my friend that purchased a used car from a small dealership in the North West. It was a Vauxhall Vecta 1.8L petrol on a 57 plate.

The car looked and drove well, it has some minor scratches and a fault with the electric window that they are aware of an willing to put right at a later date convenient to him.

The issue started last week, he was in the boot and all of a sudden the boot lid dropped on his head, it turns out the gas lifter had popped of as there was no retainment clip on the ball joint, then then caused the boot lift to get wedged in the gap between the boot lid and rear tail section of the car. This has caused the window to completely shatter and some body work damage (paint has come off and metal has deformed where the gas lifter got wedged.)

The window was then repaired next day via Autoglass due to it being a car he has to use to get to work (no local transport to his area of work,) at a cost of £75.

The next day he is driving to work doing around 45MPH and the bonnet all of a sudden flips up and smashes the front window screen and puts several huge cracks down it, this again has cost £75 to replace. The bonnet has also been damaged in the two corners as they have bent backwards due to the force of impact and the center of the bonnet has 4 huge dents where it initially hit the window screen.

After getting home he has checked the safety latch on the bonnet catch and it was rusted stiff (he has taken a video of this to show it won't move,) he has sprayed it with some WD40 and with some force managed to free it as again he needs to use it to get to work.

The question is, is where does he stand in regards to getting the money back for the costs of window screen replacements and getting the bodywork issues fixed ? The car was only sold to him 10 days ago.

Thanks in advance

Wondering how he didn't notice the issue with the boot when he bought it?

Went from a 106 to a Vectra, he said the boot felt a bit heavy that was it, from a visual inspection he didn't notice the missing clip, they are tiny. When I say the car before this happened it looked fine, it was still attached to the ball joint.

and he didnt notice the problem with the bonnet so he did not look at the engine

There are two parts to the latch, it was the safety catch that failed.

it would now start to get difficult to return as the buyer has start to interfear with the car, the buyer has oil'ed the bonnet latch to get it to work and has paid out money to replace windows

it would be argued the bonnet catch would have been user error, you mention the safety catch has failed ?

A few questions

On what date did you buy the car ?

How much did you pay for it ?

Why did you not check these things out at the time of test driving and examining the car ?

1 - Purchased on the 26/02/16

2 - £1395

3 - Bonnet was opened and closed once engine bay was checked, don't think him or myself have ever checked a bonnet latch or boot lifter to a major extent as you kind of assume they work if the bonnet/ boot opens and closes.

In regards to liverpoolluke, he needs the car to get to and from work so that was his main priority so he thought if he took a video of it sticking that would be enough to take it up with them when he went back in to get his O/S window sorted (a fault that he was made aware of.)

He went back in to get that done yesterday and they have agreed to cover half of the money paid out to Autoglass and are enquiring with a couple "family friends," to get the body work damge fixed at the rear and then to find a second hand bonnet at trade price.

I like how people have called this out to be a bit "fishy," yet don't care to give an explanation on how they have come to this conclusion. If you care to explaint I will try and provide a reply to put their concerns to rest seeing as they went out their way to put their word in.

If the seller has offered any money up for repairs to things flying open and causing damage then in effect they are admitting liability I would press for more, giving half towards a claim in insurance isn't really a solution

At the sort of money paid I would be more inclined to return the car and demand a refund which you are entitled to within 30 days of sale

Maybe next time your friend wants to buy a car they should take someone with mechanical knowledge for guidance, after all you wouldn't go to the fruit and veg man to buy steak for tea

If the seller has offered any money up for repairs to things flying open and causing damage then in effect they are admitting liability I would press for more, giving half towards a claim in insurance isn't really a solution

At the sort of money paid I would be more inclined to return the car and demand a refund which you are entitled to within 30 days of sale

Maybe next time your friend wants to buy a car they should take someone with mechanical knowledge for guidance, after all you wouldn't go to the fruit and veg man to buy steak for tea

To be honest, the car mechanically is fine (obviously apart from those two bits,) it's clean, drives well, no suprising knocks or bangs etc and the mileage for the price was quite low at 64K miles.

How ever it turns out the car had been sitting for a while and they said it may be due to that and they hadn't greased / checked much whilst it had been standing (a bit worrying, however it was given a full once over yesterday by the MOT station next door to the dealership at no cost to him.)

Like I said above, I don't think we have ever paid much notice to those two parts of a car before, it has never at least crossed my mind to as you would hope whilst they have it on the court they are starting the car a couple times a week etc.

I did tell him about the changes in I think 2015 regarding returning a car but he didn't listen, he wants to keep the car as he will be worse off money wise due to insurance (being 22 it isn't cheap,) will have to return and get a new car the same day ideally other wise he is stuck getting to work.

I would say he is an extremely fortunate man and should name this selling dealer so we can all take advantage of his generosity. To sell a car at that price and then without any legal requirement or quibbling, refund expenses and spend hundreds of pounds repairing it, this has to be a car dealer in a million, if not a one off.

Edited by Conniff

I would say he is an extremely fortunate man and should name this selling dealer so we can all take advantage of his generosity. To sell a car at that price and then without any legal requirement or quibbling, refund expenses and spend hundreds of pounds repairing it, this has to be a car dealer in a million, if not a one off.

Will ask him for the dealer name later when I speak to him.

They gave him £75 back for one of the visits from Autoglass and then are sourcing a bonnet at trade price, he has to pay for it nowhere in the post did I say they are going to cover that cost the same with body work, so please make sure you read the post correctly before making your sarcastic remarks and get of your high horse ;)

Sorry, but if they are paying for the glass excess, that is admitting there was something wrong with the car so should pay for the lot. But, of course, he can't insist on this as he has no proof, and has had others play with the car so it could be argued it's not the car the seller sold.

Sorry, but if they are paying for the glass excess, that is admitting there was something wrong with the car so should pay for the lot. But, of course, he can't insist on this as he has no proof, and has had others play with the car so it could be argued it's not the car the seller sold.

Now someone gives an expliation on why it could be fishy, I see your point but Autoglass was called out under his insurance against that car and the paperwork had been filled out to reflect that. I understand he shouldn't have messed with it but the dealer being about 80 minutes away and no other way to get to work bar this car, he needed to do it.

By any chance is this car a dark red 57 plate vectra sri purchased from a small dealership around Warrington area?

Wow, and I thought I was good!!!!

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

I think the main problem with this thread is that it is all being done through a third party. Can't you get him to come here personally so we can get immediate straight answers without an intermediary ?