BankFodder BankFodder

aj84

Samsung TVs discontinue Skype

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1442 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

I had an interesting message pop up last night on all our Samsung TVs to say Skype is being discontinued and basically it will be uninstalled by June 2016.

All of them are fairly new in the house and the main one - a 55" curved was bought specifically with Skype in mind as we do use it a fair bit.

Where do we stand on this? Essentially, the TV is sold as "Skype ready" I guess- clearly it is not.

And if it was sold on that basis that you could skype and no longer can, surely it is no longer fit for purpose?

There is a lot of noise about this on various forums but I could not find any legal point of views

Thanks in advance

Check the terms and conditions that came with your TV. I suspect that Samsung have included a wording in regard to any feature that involves a third party organisation such as Skype. It will say that Samsung cannot be held liable for the withdrawal of services provided by a third party company and will provide users with advance warning where possible.

I am sure i have heard of people trying to take similar issues to court under SOGA and it is difficult to argue. It might only be the value of the loss of the ability to use Skype if this was a main feature being sold. You can buy a device that links your TV to internet/wifi that allows full access to various including Skype. My brother has one of these devices and i am trying to think of the product name.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi all,

I had an interesting message pop up last night on all our Samsung TVs to say Skype is being discontinued and basically it will be uninstalled by June 2016.

All of them are fairly new in the house and the main one - a 55" curved was bought specifically with Skype in mind as we do use it a fair bit.

Where do we stand on this? Essentially, the TV is sold as "Skype ready" I guess- clearly it is not.

And if it was sold on that basis that you could skype and no longer can, surely it is no longer fit for purpose?

There is a lot of noise about this on various forums but I could not find any legal point of views

Thanks in advance

somewhere in the terms and conditions it wil lsay services through the smart hub are subject to change . however its not all lost is your desktop computer hooked up to a tv in which case get a webcam any tablet can have skype on . personally i find skype worked far better on computers and tablets than through the smart hub

I did think of that and in theory, all is not practically lost in that we do have various gadgets connected to it that would/could allow it. But it would mean that the in-built camera on the big one is now defunct and the others that we spent almost £100 each to get a SAmsung camera for is now down the drain.

What is shocking is these cameras are still on sale and both the cameras and TVs are still being sold as skype compatible/ready

Apparently its Microsoft (Skype) that have made the decision not Samsung......

Skype’s smart TV app will no longer receive updates after June 1, but those who have already downloaded it can continue to use it. There’s no confirmed date for when the app will cease to work, but it is living on borrowed time.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/08/skype-is-killing-its-smart-tv-app/

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

I thought as much - most likely a licencing model change

But in Samsung's case, they almost always uninstall the app when it gets discontinued and it is up for the manufacturer to decide what to do on discontinuing a service. I'm pretty sure I read on the message that it will uninstall it by June/in June

Just to mention, I have 2 samsung TV's at a clients office, both of them have issues with Skype, the picture will freeze after several minutes until you reconnect again. Many people have had this issue. My guess is they couldn't fix it and thus have given up with it.

Just to mention, I have 2 samsung TV's at a clients office, both of them have issues with Skype, the picture will freeze after several minutes until you reconnect again. Many people have had this issue. My guess is they couldn't fix it and thus have given up with it.

get the freezing on normal laptop use of skype picture

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Give FACETIME (Apple) a try no comparison to SKYPE...years ahead.:-)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Give FACETIME (Apple) a try no comparison to SKYPE...years ahead.:-)

i use both and i find i get far less freeze on skype than i do with facetime . i tried both of them with my aunt who is deaf and blind in one eye so she has to lip read and she has found skype is better for her .

get the freezing on normal laptop use of skype picture

different issues.