Confusion over License change

Heckler
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Need some confirmation as the supplied documentation that comes with the form seems to contradict itself.

I moved home, and need to get my paper license address changed.

I was told that I'd need to upgrade to a photo ID type license.

The form I have is D1 and makes no such assertion that I MUST upgrade to a phot license. It has a section just for changing the address on your paper license.

In other parts of the form it says that I need to provide a photo (signed by recommended professional) as proof of identity...

It also says that a change of address carries no charge, but supplying a phot carries a £20 charge... then goes on to say that changing from a paper license to a photo one carries no charge.

To say that I'm confused is a little bit of an understatement and the woman in the Post Office didn't have a clue what I was on about.

All I want to do is change the address on my license... but the form doesn't make it clear which if any fee applies or if I have to apply for a photo one... and if I do then is it no fee or a £20 fee... and it gives 2 different dept postcodes to send it too... one for a change of address and the other for updating to photo one.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

OK, I've been through that form and registered and filled everything out... only wanted to change address on my paper license... after I submitted the form it tells me at the top of the page exchange paper license for photo one... Which is not mentioned on any of the online forms I just filled out.

Says it's sending me out a form to fill out/sign but I am pretty sure it will simply be the same form that I have sat on my desk and will have the same conflicting info printed on it.

So after all that... I am still none the wiser if I can simply change my address and get a paper license back FOC as it implies... or if I am going to be FORCED to exchange for a photo one... Because their website isn't exactly clear on the matter.

if you change your address you will be getting a photo license.

Do you have a valid passport?, the photo can be cross referenced from there, did that with my daughters just before xmas, all done online and as the passport photo had already been approved, no need to re approve for DL

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Unfortunately my passport expired last year and I've not got around to renewing it... because at the moment I have no plans for any trips abroad.

Getting a photo isn't an issue... it's the ridiculous and misleading information they have on their forms and website that says you can change your address on your paper license, but then at the end says you are exchanging it for a photo one... likewise the forms state that you can get your address changed for free on a paper license but you have to send a photo in as proof of ID and it states that they charge £20 for a photo.

I had to re-apply for my driving licence after it being temporarily suspended due to health reasons, it took about four attempts of it going backwards and forwards to the DVLA due to ambiguous questions!

I did get there in the end and to be honest, the photo licences are only a credit card size, very useful to keep in your purse or wallet and is an acceptable form of identification if you need to prove who you are.

Hi heckler, my daughters passport was also out of date but that wasnt a problem, they still used the photo, she has just this week applied for a new passport so it must have been expired when we git her DL.

Only if you have "significantly" changed in appearance should you need to supply a new photo

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Well I've filled out the form as best I can... I've got my expired passport and my birth certificate, along with some new passport photos... the last being take in 2004 and my beard has gone very grey over the last 12yrs and my hair is a little longer. :)

Just got to get the damn photo signed, but at least they seem to have relaxed this a little... But it's also asking for proof of NI number and my NI card was damaged 30yrs ago (cheap plastic crap that split and fell apart in my wallet) and I never bothered replacing it... Hasn't been a problem for the last 30yrs.

It's almost like they DON'T want you to change your address at all... maybe they're hoping to fine people for not realizing that they've moved the goalposts yet again.

Your NI number can be found on wage slips or dwp letters

My Passport ran out, appearance the same but ten years older, but still me, you could tell that in the photos. Applied on-line for new passport, no verification needed, just send back application form and new photo's. New passport came in less than a week, followed by cancelled old one.

Next, change paper license for photo license. As Gov'nt already have up to date photo, complete on-line application form, new license came within 7 day's. Old license cut in two and returned to DVLA.

Not complicated, all good.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

was about to add myself, passport is much easier to update so long as appearance hasn't changed (just aged) took less than a week for mine last week but cost is £70+ your driving licence should be easy to update to paper one once passport has been done, I though all paper license's had been exchanged even to the point the paper part of the 2 part license is now obsolete

was about to add myself, passport is much easier to update so long as appearance hasn't changed (just aged) took less than a week for mine last week but cost is £70+ your driving licence should be easy to update to paper one once passport has been done, I though all paper license's had been exchanged even to the point the paper part of the 2 part license is now obsolete

Driving licenses are updated to photocard ones not paper ones and yes, paper counterpart is now obsolete, you only get the photocard version