You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Hi   1. Have all seven residents complained officially to the Local Authority of the overgrown conifers and had a response in writing?   2. Were the Local Authority informed that the several residents were employing a contractor to cut back their conifer trees due to them being overgrown?   I would also suggest asking the contractor that carried out the work if they could do a letter for you explaining the work they carried out and the advice given about trimming as they remain the LA property.  
    • Hi dx   sorry for late reply didn't realise you had replied. When I think back I have had at least 2 cheques in response to charges from HF in the past few years (I had a student OD and a current account) if it effects anything
    • well thats not an issue to you.   if you have have not received a SJP form with lots of sheets of other journeys for you to sign off as TIC then i don't think they can prove the use was yours and not the designated user of the card.   since the even have your purchased or use a valid pass and have proof of this ? what date is the SJP case please   dx  
    • you'll only ever be poked to people like moneybarn etc that are all +40% via most online site.   have you had any running credit in the last few years? i've had none and that killed my score just as bad as a default would. they cant see you can have money management skills bar the default.     the other thing to remember is covid is killing credit approval too and ofcourse they can use the poor rating excuse.  
    • I've had a look at some of the other backdoor CCJ threads, but haven't found an example N244.   However, in a sense that's a good thing, write your own draft based on post 98.  It doesn't have to be in legalese,  just a quick summary of your position in normal English.   One of the Site Team could do it for you, but we're normally very reluctant to do so because it will be you (not us) in front of the judge (or given COVID, probably on the phone to the judge) so it's important that you understand and are confident with your arguments.   Wait for EB to comment on the draft tomorrow, on those other threads I see he goes on about a Supreme Court judgement re set asides and he's been in court himself in a similar situation several times.    I don't know about suing for the £255, maybe dx or EB will know more.    Whatever you do, there will be an element of risk due to mistakes (mistakes are no problem, been there done that, but learn for the next time).  It's not a good idea to throw away documentation when you're in a legal dispute with someone, and you should always tell them of a change of address.  Plus a case should have been built at the time against these charlatans, such as taking photos of their rubbish signs.   Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your personal circumstances are irrelevant to the court.  You've "defied" a court order - tough.  Of course we know you haven't really defied a court order as your N244 will show, and will be the start of the fightback.
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
Shogun83

Sold car last year and sent logbook slip off... Now being pursued for not having insurance.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1585 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

So I part exchanged my car in the middle of last year; sent off the slip to the DVLA and thought nothing more of it.

Then December last year I started getting letters from the DVLA etc saying my car wasn't insured. I sent off the proof of sale and they sent me a document telling me I was no longer the registered keeper.

So it seems like they never received the original paperwork and I'm now still being pursued for not having insurance for a car I have proof of sale of!

This seems ridiculous to me - do I really have to defend myself against this?!!

Which "slip" did you send off?

When selling/part exchanging a car, you have the new owner fill in their details on the v5 and hand the new owner the "slip" that remains and you send the v5 to the DVLA, who in turn, update ownership and send the new owner the new v5

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Which "slip" did you send off?

When selling/part exchanging a car, you have the new owner fill in their details on the v5 and hand the new owner the "slip" that remains and you send the v5 to the DVLA, who in turn, update ownership and send the new owner the new v5

That is the process for a private sale.

If it was part exchanged with the trade, it is different. The seller sends the completed 'Transferred to the Trade' slip from the V5C to the DVLA and gives the rest of the V5C to the trader.

I'll have to check my current log book to see if I can remember exactly which. It was a part of the logbook that I completed; not anything else.

Thanks for your replies guys

So it seems like they never received the original paperwork and I'm now still being pursued for not having insurance for a car I have proof of sale of!

This seems ridiculous to me - do I really have to defend myself against this?!!

If the slip has gone missing, and you were still shown as the Registered Keeper, that will be why the DVLA are writing to you.

It is the Registered Keeper that commits the offence - s.144A, Road Traffic Act 1988.

If I've proven I wasn't the owner at the time why are they still trying to enforce against me?

As I see it I have two options -

A) not guilty as I wasn't the owner of the vehicle

B) guilty by negligence - as I could have checked that the DVLA had updated their database

What do you think?

It is not the owner that commits the offence, it is the Registered Keeper. Which is why they are writing to you, being the Registered Keeper at the time.

It is not the owner that commits the offence, it is the Registered Keeper. Which is why they are writing to you, being the Registered Keeper at the time.

thanks Radway - this is still hard to swallow!

I've already told them I'd made all reasonable efforts to register my car properly.

Seems like you're saying I should plead guilty as ridiculous as it feels to me

*Raykay (autocorrect sorry)

I sent off the proof of sale and they sent me a document telling me I was no longer the registered keeper.

Did the DVLA send you this document? if so, then the slip must have arrived

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Did the DVLA send you this document? if so, then the slip must have arrived

That's the problem - I thought I'd had the acknowledgement letter but can't find it - so maybe the slip didn't get to the DVLA.

I got a letter from the DVLA in December so sent them my proof of sale document and got an acknowledgement letter then. I'd thought that was the end of it!

If you cant find it now, have you tried asking DVLA to re send the letter acknowledging you are no longer the RK?

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

If you cant find it now, have you tried asking DVLA to re send the letter acknowledging you are no longer the RK?

They sent me a new one in January (recently dated) after I sent them the proof of sale,

And does this state that you are no longer the registered keeper or does it say you are no longer the owner?

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

And does this state that you are no longer the registered keeper or does it say you are no longer the owner?

No longer the registered keeper (sorry for the delay)

So, am i right in now thinking that the DVLA acknowledged in writing that you were not the RK when the alleged non insurance incident occurred?

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

No they have backdated the "offence" to December :-(

No they have backdated the "offence" to December :-(

Even if you have no record of DVLA confirming the RK change, whoever you part exchanged the car with will be able to confirm in writing that they took the car on x date. They might even have record of what happened to the car.

Get this information to whoever is threatening prosecution and it should be stopped. You cannot Insure a car that is no longer yours or in your possession.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Even if you have no record of DVLA confirming the RK change, whoever you part exchanged the car with will be able to confirm in writing that they took the car on x date. They might even have record of what happened to the car.

Get this information to whoever is threatening prosecution and it should be stopped. You cannot Insure a car that is no longer yours or in your possession.

The date that the vehicle was exchanged would not be relevant. The offence is contrary to s.144A, Road Traffic Act 1988 - that the vehicle does not meet the insurance requirements of the act - for which the Registered Keeper is liable.

Not the offence of not having insurance, s.143 of the same act - for which the user is liable

Shogun can you confirm if the letters you are getting regarding this are saying if you have contravened any part of the RTA as raykay is pointing out. ?

Whether it is or isnt could well determine how to approach dealing with it

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

The date that the vehicle was exchanged would not be relevant. The offence is contrary to s.144A, Road Traffic Act 1988 - that the vehicle does not meet the insurance requirements of the act - for which the Registered Keeper is liable.

Not the offence of not having insurance, s.143 of the same act - for which the user is liable

If they no longer had the car, how could they insure it ?

People would cancel any insurance on the date of part exchange and send off the V5 slip to DVLA.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

S.144A is when there is a problem that the Insurance arranged is not valid ?

S.143 is about using a vehicle without Insurance.

Unless i am misreading RTA ?

S.144A is when there is a problem that the Insurance arranged is not valid ?

Unless i am misreading RTA ?

There needs to be insurance in force - s.144A, complying with (2) - (5). The registered keeper is liable if there is not.

There needs to be insurance in force - s.144A, complying with (2) - (5). The registered keeper is liable if there is not.

OK, but then it seems that s.144B may well apply ?

They neither owned or were using the vehicle. Surely, if they can evidence that, then they should not be prosecuted, because you cannot maintain Insurance on any vehicke after selling it. The RTA act cannot mandate something that is not possible.

OK, but then it seems that s.144B may well apply ?

Unfortunately, none of the exemptions in s.144B apply in the OP's case.

The insurance is not required to be taken out by the Registered Keeper to comply with s.144A, but they are liable if there is no insurance that complies with s.144A.