Self assessment query

hillbilly5

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Hoping someone can give some advice please.

My daughter was doing some freelance work when she lived at home and never earned enough to pay tax and I helped her file her tax returns. She left home and got married in 2014. She did her last freelance work in Dec 2014 and then became employed in a different line of work. Her self employed income was all paid by March 2015. Although she remembered last year to fill in her 2013/14 tax return, because she is now employed and pays tax through PAYE she never thought about completing a tax return for 2014/15. She has received a letter from HMRC saying her return is late and she will be charged £100, which she accepts. I have checked her earnings for 2014/15 and this is the first time she would have earned enough to be liable for tax. She has just found out she is pregnant and so faces a tax bill to pay but also a hefty cut in her income as her hubby is on a low wage and she will be off work for a while when she has had the baby.

I have been reading that self employed tax is paid in a lump, which she can't afford to do. As she is now employed can the underpaid tax be paid through the PAYE system? Can she ask for payments to be spread over 3 years as you can for tax underpaid through PAYE?

Would be really grateful for any info as she is worrying herself sick and has already had two spells in hospital as she has been so ill since being pregnant.

Hi

As She was Self Employed for HMRC purposes did she at any stage contact HMRC to inform them that she was no longer Self Employed?

Did she receive confirmation in writing from HMRC the she was no longer Self Employed and didn't need to provide further tax returns?

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi

As She was Self Employed for HMRC purposes did she at any stage contact HMRC to inform them that she was no longer Self Employed?

Did she receive confirmation in writing from HMRC the she was no longer Self Employed and didn't need to provide further tax returns?

No. Unfortunately she thought that once she became employed it would automatically be picked up that she was paying tax through the PAYE system.

Hi

Hoping someone can give some advice please.

My daughter was doing some freelance work when she lived at home and never earned enough to pay tax and I helped her file her tax returns. She left home and got married in 2014. She did her last freelance work in Dec 2014 and then became employed in a different line of work. Her self employed income was all paid by March 2015. Although she remembered last year to fill in her 2013/14 tax return, because she is now employed and pays tax through PAYE she never thought about completing a tax return for 2014/15. She has received a letter from HMRC saying her return is late and she will be charged £100, which she accepts. I have checked her earnings for 2014/15 and this is the first time she would have earned enough to be liable for tax. She has just found out she is pregnant and so faces a tax bill to pay but also a hefty cut in her income as her hubby is on a low wage and she will be off work for a while when she has had the baby.

I have been reading that self employed tax is paid in a lump, which she can't afford to do. As she is now employed can the underpaid tax be paid through the PAYE system? Can she ask for payments to be spread over 3 years as you can for tax underpaid through PAYE?

Would be really grateful for any info as she is worrying herself sick and has already had two spells in hospital as she has been so ill since being pregnant.

No. Unfortunately she thought that once she became employed it would automatically be picked up that she was paying tax through the PAYE system.

Except the PAYE didn't start until April 2015 or after?

"I have checked her earnings for 2014/15 and this is the first time she would have earned enough to be liable for tax. She has just found out she is pregnant and so faces a tax bill to pay "

If it is just the late filing penalty & she will have no tax to pay (differentiating "tax" from "penalty")

1) get the return in ASAP

2) write, requesting they waive the penalty given the circumstances : they probably won't, but it is worth a try!

Or if she had non-PAYE income in 14/15 : sadly she should have put money for the tax aside once she went over the 0% threshold : can she claim any allowances to reduce her liability?