Jump to content

advise regarding finding new property for rent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2019 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts


I would like to get some advice please.


Me and my partner are both are on IVA and on year 2.


2.5 years ago we decided to rent out a property and our contract expires end of March 2016 ,

idealy we would like to move out of the flat asap to a house as its small

and a lot of condensation



the letting agency advised us of 2 months notice period

– which was fine (last date 31st April).


The letting agency found someone to move in end of March (what we originally wanted)

and asked if we can leave early- which we accepted.


Now the problem we are having is every property that we express interest seems to go quick

or the letting agency are awkward in terms of timings for viewings



another challenge we have is the checks that the lettings do

me and my partner are on IVA this will flag up and they may require a guarantor,

which unfortunately we don’t have bcause a lot of our family’s are on benefits and elderly.


We are looking at private landlords and not a lot are coming by because some are too big or too small.


Both of us work,

I work full time and she works part time (no kids),

combined wage of nearly 30k a year and I fear that by end of March we may become homeless.


I spoke to SHELTER on Sunday to discuss this and they weren’t as helpful as I thought

as they kept stating that I should not have accepted the early leave until I found a place,

but what they couldn’t understand is that I will be in same position by April anyway

and no landlord would be willing to wait for 2 months,

so my search for new property would fall in to April anyway.


Because I have got factors which I got no control over, where do I stand.


I guess im looking for someone to offer me advise to speak to Council maybe?


Please help

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I would speak to your Local Council.


Perhaps also have a word with Shelter who might have some ideas




If you cant find answers in the FAQ page I have linked you to - I think they have a free helpline phone number on their contact page.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **


Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first


1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read





2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS


Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.



Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

thanks for the advice, i found a letting agency who are happy to take us on as we're both working and secured a property and moving next week. next problem is finding a car space outside house/street lol.:-D

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...