Vanquis Credit Card - charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I wondered if I can get your thoughts on this situation.

I have had a vanquis credit card for four years. I raised a complaint to them to try and recover some £12 fees. I have received their final written response, as I expected a decline, and I am going to try my luck with the ombudsman service.

In their letter it stated:

"In addition our default fees have also been assessed by the Financial Ombudsman Service who

have confirmed that our £12 default fees are justified."

Is this true and am I wasting my time or is that to try and put me off from escalating this further?

The OFT and FOS are two different organisations, The FOS havent assessed the justifiability of the fees, usual bulltwoddle from CC providers. The OFT never stated that £12 was justified either, they stated that £12 was a threshold at which they wouldnt intervene but that a court would need to ultimately decide what was or wasnt fair. The details are below in the link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284445/oft842.pdf

Personally i would take the county court route, look through the number of successes re CC charges and also the ratio of how many of the CC providers actually went into a court room and defended there unjust and unlawful fees, i think the current score is somewhere in the region of:

Banks 0 v 1000's Claimants

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Vanquis have today written to me detailing the charges. I would be charged £12 for a direct debit failure, this would mean another £12 for a late payment and those two charges would put me over my limit meaning a further £12 charge. This meant each problem I had would cost me £36.

Between 29th October 2012 until now I have been charged a total of £360 in charges and that does not include any interest. It is with the ombudsman at the moment but I am prepared to go the county court route - what would I write in the claim? When I work out the interest do I use the APR of the card?

Yes, you would use the rate you are charged interest on the card and claim compound interest in restitution as per your spreadsheet

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

• 1 month later...

I received a reply from my ombudsman adjudicator today, they state as follows:

"Vanquis has shown us that its charges of £12 are broadly in line with its actual and estimated costs of default and follows the general legal principles outlined by the OFT’s statement."

Looks like my only option would be to go to court for any chance of recovering the charges.

MCOL time now then

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

True but it cost you nothing to test the water either

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

• 2 weeks later...

i highly doubt it but it is a possibility, time to start gathering the paperwork together.

what did you put as your POC on the claim, could you post it please so you can be correctly advised from herein

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled