No Contract, No Money ... is this right?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everybody!

Here's hoping you can help ...

I left my part-time job at local shop, a couple of weeks ago, to start another job (full time).

In the relatively short time I was employed at the shop (4 weeks) I accrued around 50 hrs, which I have not been paid for.

After contacting them about this, they have stated that the reason I haven't been paid is because I left during my trial period and I did not have a contract of employment with them.

Granted, I did'nt give them much notice (a few days, in fact) in telling them that I was leaving to start my new job, but surely I'm still owed payment for the hour I worked there?

I'd appreciate your advice on this matter

Hello Everybody!

Here's hoping you can help ...

I left my part-time job at local shop, a couple of weeks ago, to start another job (full time).

In the relatively short time I was employed at the shop (4 weeks) I accrued around 50 hrs, which I have not been paid for.

After contacting them about this, they have stated that the reason I haven't been paid is because I left during my trial period and I did not have a contract of employment with them.

Granted, I did'nt give them much notice (a few days, in fact) in telling them that I was leaving to start my new job, but surely I'm still owed payment for the hour I worked there?

I'd appreciate your advice on this matter

What was agreed? A contract exists even if verbal.

They need to be paying you at least National Minimum Wage.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/worker

They can't say you aren't a worker based on you being on a "trial period" nor because "you had no (written) contract", as :

(Likely a worker if)

"They have a contract or other arrangement to do work or services personally for a reward (your contract doesn’t have to be written)"

"Their reward is for money or a benefit in kind, eg the promise of a contract or future work"

Send them a "letter before claim" noting your pay is due, and that if needs be you will take legal action to obtain what is owed.

are you over 25? The it will be easy to calculate the minimum amount you are due. Under that age and there is room for argument about what was agreed but the glib statement about a trial period is utter rubbish. One shift may be considered in that light but not 4 weeks work