Extra hours "expected"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have searched the forum and found lots of good advice but not the specific detail I am looking for hope you can help.

I work in manufacturing as a shift manager, I have always got into work early and often leave late (versus contracted hours) however my employer is now expecting this and planning meeting etc out with contracted hours for myself and all my colleagues.

On discussion my direct Manager says that it is "expected for us to do additional hours"

I now have a problem with this attitude, but before I dig my heels in I would like to know where I stand legally.

Thank you in advance,

I should have added that I don't get paid for the extra hours.

Edited by Spewy87
more info

Hi all,

I have searched the forum and found lots of good advice but not the specific detail I am looking for hope you can help.

I work in manufacturing as a shift manager, I have always got into work early and often leave late (versus contracted hours) however my employer is now expecting this and planning meeting etc out with contracted hours for myself and all my colleagues.

On discussion my direct Manager says that it is "expected for us to do additional hours"

I now have a problem with this attitude, but before I dig my heels in I would like to know where I stand legally.

Thank you in advance,

I should have added that I don't get paid for the extra hours.

Many companies seem to do this these days. Not sure there is any specific law, apart from minimum wage legislation. If people were required to come in too early and/or leave a little later outside of contracted hours, it might mean the company is technically breaking minimum wage legislation for some staff.

I believe this is where unions come in handy to stop employers adopting abusive practices. It might be reasonable to have a ten minute unpaid meeting at each end of a shift, but more than that is unreasonable. Employers should really add into the contract what they expect of staff, so they can be treated fairly and equally.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you work in manufacturing your employer also has to consider whether extra hours presents and health and safety issue.

The TUC has a page on their site about unpaid hours, but it is pretty vague mentioning minimum wage legislation, but not much more. If there was a definite legal position about your exact position, i am sure you would have found information about law or court cases won.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I've had this too, I just put my foot down and said no. Nearly all contracts have something in small print which is ok in rare occasions but when it becomes expected every day it'd not on, especially if you havnt opted out of the 48 hour directive.

I am about to upset someone...

I seriously get mad at people who work over their contracted hours for free.

Workers all over the country have battled for decades to reach the employment legislation and protection we have today; they have lost many days pay because of strikes, the miners went on strike for 9 months straight and lots of them lost their homes and families.

All to achieve the employment standards we enjoy today.

Despite this some absent minded people think it's ok to be treated like slaves and mugs, work extra hours for free and breach all h&s regulations while doing so, just to please their boss.

It seriously infuriates me.

I hear employees of large organisations say: "if I don't do it, they'll sack me and get someone else to do it".

Really???

Why do you work more hours than stated in your contract?

If they want to slave you off for more than the contracted hours they should pay for the pleasure.

After all slavery (forcing people to work for free) has been abolished a long time ago...or maybe not.

I am about to upset someone...

I seriously get mad at people who work over their contracted hours for free.

I work extra hours because I find my work interesting and care about giving good service.

I also get flex when I need it eg working short hours from a different location when a family member was ill recently. We don't squabble over doctors appointments or car servicing.

I have an adult relationship with my employer. not parent/child. It is possible! They get a lot more out of me because of that relationship, and I enjoy work more. There's no slavery there.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I work extra hours because I find my work interesting and care about giving good service.

I also get flex when I need it eg working short hours from a different location when a family member was ill recently. We don't squabble over doctors appointments or car servicing.

I have an adult relationship with my employer. not parent/child. It is possible! They get a lot more out of me because of that relationship, and I enjoy work more. There's no slavery there.

You get something in return for your flexibility (satisfaction, days off to attend appointments, etc.)

I was talking about employees who work extra hours without anything in return.

I agree if you put in a bit extra but get nothing in return it causes bad feeling, nearly all contracts have a work bit extra clause, working in IT I'm prepared for this if major IT failures but not on a daily basis. I left a job for precisely this reason. Not helped by my manager being young and inexperienced in staff handling/management, it was mentioned in a performance review that I left on time !, putting pressure on me to work extra for free like more junior members.