The EU why can’t we go it alone?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To some this sounds attractive. Mind our own business.

make our own decisions. Pull up the drawbridge. In the

modern world it just is not practicable. It wasn’t so even

40 or 60 years ago. The world’s troubles, the world’s wars

inevitably dragged us in. Much better to work together to

prevent them happening.

Today we are even more dependent on what happens outside.

Our trade, our jobs, our food, our defence cannot be wholly

within our own control. That is why so much of the argument

about sovereignty is a false one. It’s not a matter of dry legal

theory. The real test is how we can protect our, own interests

and exercise British influence in the world. The best way is to

work with our friends and neighbours.

If we came out, the Community would go on taking decisions which

affect us vitally—but we should have no say in them. We would be

clinging to the shadow of British sovereignty while its substance flies

out of the window.

The European Community does not pretend that each member nation

is not different. It strikes a balance between the wish to express our

own national personalities and the need for common action. All decisions

of any importance must be agreed by every member.

LINK TO SOURCE

Edited by citizenB

Yes and I will give you the source but not just yet I wish to see the reaction to my statement first.

Sadly that is not the way it works. You MUST post a credit for anything copied and pasted from the internet and only up to 15% of the article.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think this might have been in connection with the 1975 Referendum.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I can ashore you that statement was not copied from the internet.

What I would like to know is does anybody agree with it??

We managed prior to our entry to the EU, I do not see why we cannot do so now (if we were to leave that is) .

The link I have provided to your first post shows that even if you did not copy/paste from that source, that it is a word for word copy :(

Edited by citizenB

BCOBS

I voted in the elections for the Common Market, I voted No!. as it looked like a stitch-up to me.

I kept all the literature that came through my letter box at that time, what I have put on CAG in my thread is a statement made in the YES! leaflet to stay in.

I would just like to ask this question don’t you think this is virtually word for word what we are hearing today from the scaremonger who wish to blackmail us to stay in???

fair dos. in or out. the big q up for referendum.

afaik, most wld prefer in.

put it briefly then, what are the pros and cons? convince an 'undecided' either way. with (todays) facts. (append to the existing thread?)

I can ashore you that statement was not copied from the internet.

What I would like to know is does anybody agree with it??

I voted in the elections for the Common Market, I voted No!. as it looked like a stitch-up to me.

I kept all the literature that came through my letter box at that time, what I have put on CAG in my thread is a statement made in the YES! leaflet to stay in.

I would just like to ask this question don’t you think this is virtually word for word what we are hearing today from the scaremonger who wish to blackmail us to stay in???

I think both sides will use scare tactics in one way or another.

I don't think the UK as a Nation take enough interest in what is going on - only what affects them directly.

Unless we are better informed then we cannot make informed decisions on what to do.

BCOBS

The real test is how we can protect our, own interests and exercise British influence in the world. The best way is to

work with our friends and neighbours.

If we came out, the Community would go on taking decisions which

affect us vitally—but we should have no say in them. We would be

clinging to the shadow of British sovereignty while its substance flies

out of the window.

All decisions of any importance must be agreed by every member.

If it is your main driver, the only way the UK can make its own choices is to leave as that last statement copied above clearly defines - and contradicts all the rest of the statements you make/copy.

(and as we have seen with the 'renegotiation)

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

That seems straightforwardly corrupt.  Shouldn’t they both be in jail?”

I wonder how Switzerland has survived without the EU for so long.

But its not about surviving is it, although the UK probably wont survive a brexit unless the EU collapses before the next Scottish independence referendum which a brexit will trigger.

Its about whats likely to be best for the future and prosperity of the UK.

It survival of the UK as a completely independent single nation in control of its own laws and regulations is your desire, I'm afraid that boat would appear to have sunk long ago.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

I am struggling to think what problems the EU presents to the UK. UK governments of all parties have quickly implemented most EU laws without any arguments and have even applied gold plating when passing legislation.

LBC's James O'Brien has done several phone ins where he has asked for specific EU issues people had a problem with and very few issues were raised. From memory it was only the power of vaccum cleaners and how various foods were subject to rules.

I am not convinved that Brexit would make any difference to the UK and it might just remove some rights people currently have. For example rights of movement, buying a holiday home abroad without facing more taxes than locals, being able to access local public healthcare in any EU country, EU arrest warrant, EU consumer rights across the whole of the EU, EU cross border use of courts.

If the UK left the EU, we would have years of negotiations and parliament spending most of the time processing bills to change tbe current laws. Do we really need this hassle, when the world is in such a mess ?

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It seems to me that its all these very large companies and very rich people who want to stay in.

As most of these use the UK systems to trade in the EU while paying tax in some tax haven, - sod em and their views.

If they move out of the UK then we might get some banks and businesses in the UK which benefit the UK far better.

Small businesses heavily invested in the local areas and the UK seem to not care.

The Tory Legacy

I think i am voting out, why, because i don't think we need it, USA, China, Australia and countless others do just fine without being a part of it, and costing more than 63 million £ a day to be told what we can and can't do by the germans and others....i think not, our country, our boarders, our people, lets take control back and start making this country great again for the future generation. As for the military aspect of it, we go hand in hand with the US, they help us, we help them between us we are a military powerhouse.

If Brexit would trigger a Scottish referendum, will the SNP be voting out?

Just a thought.

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

If Brexit would trigger a Scottish referendum, will the SNP be voting out?

Just a thought.

Unlikely - you would even have to look quite closely at the other Tories for more with the 'morals' of Mayor Borat

The Tory Legacy

I think i am voting out, why, because i don't think we need it, USA, China, Australia and countless others do just fine without being a part of it, and costing more than 63 million £ a day to be told what we can and can't do by the germans and others....i think not, our country, our boarders, our people, lets take control back and start making this country great again for the future generation. As for the military aspect of it, we go hand in hand with the US, they help us, we help them between us we are a military powerhouse.

In the new world we are moving into, you will see major trade/resource battles between the big powers e.g China, US, EU, India. The natural resources of this planet are fast reducing, because of globalisation and increasing human population.

Do you really want to risk UK negotiating power in the world, by moving from a market of 600 million people that is the EU and simply being an independent UK of under 70 million ?

Yes the EU has become too centralised, but you don't walk away from one of the major trading blocks in the world, hoping that you can do a better deal as a totally independent country.

After Brexit, the UK is likely to remain in the EU for about 5 years, as negotiations take place. The UK will still be paying into the EU and accepting EU laws. Immigration to the UK is likely to increase, as will the number of British citizenship applications. If you think it is bad now, it will get worse.

Then there are the economic consequences as the markets decide they don't like Brexit causing uncertainty. This could have a long term impacts on the UK, with interest on UK debts increasing, currency instability etc.

Personally, i would not take the risk. Better to negotiate a better deal within the EU, as other countries want changes anyway.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I think what the EU itself does over the next 3 months will have far more impact on the UK vote than all the targeted BS spouted by politicians on both sides of the referendum.

If the EU properly addresses the migrant issue, then I believe the UK will vote to remain.

If the EU fudges things and Merkel gets her way, then the EU may well come apart at the seams whatever the UK votes.

I think EU in/out is one of the smaller of our problems, with reliance, dependance and kow-towing to major finance business which really do sweet FA for the coutry outside of a couple of thousand jobs (most of whom have no relationship to the real UK people) and some fake numbers on the countries GDP and balance sheets for their £Billions in bonuses.

(Around £5Billion the financial and senior bankers have awarded themselves in bonuses recently)

What would we lose if sachs leaves the UK - sod all in taxs, a few thousand yuppy jobs and probably a chunk off the top line in London house prices

- Sounds like win win win to me.

The Tory Legacy