Expired experience day voucher

MissSocks
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2983 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, or if anyone can help, but it never hurts to ask....:help: please

I emailed a company with expired experience vouchers (by 17 days) explaining my situation,

which is:

My Mum bought me a sky diving experience and zorbing for 2 for my 'special' birthday (end of April 15).

She bought them early April 2015, it's all a little vague as a family friend helped her as she isn't very confident with the internet.

On April 12th, I fell very, very ill.

I missed my birthday, and more things than I can count since.

I've been in and out of hospital, had a multitude of tests, MRI, biopsies, and cameras.

I've lost my position at work.

I was also unable to complete a course, as I couldn't get to the exam.

I'm still awaiting a diagnosis.

I'm still very limited in being able to leave the house.

I only include this to highlight why I haven't been 'on the ball' regarding expiry.

I know it sounds somewhat :violin:

My mum was under the impression that the tickets she bought for me were valid for 12 months.

Again, I know it's our 'fault', we didn't read the vouchers thoroughly,

but I'm also sure you can understand why booking a day out hasn't really been a priority when facing what we have been. I was severely ill when I received them on my birthday and have been since.

I got the papers out today, as I wasn't feeling too bad.

Good days are a rarity, so I figured I'd be productive.

My good day quickly turned into floods of tears (not usually my style, sorry :embarassed:), frustration

(at missing out on yet another thing :x) and guilt

(as my Mum will probably end up losing her money,

and now feels bad that she didn't get me anything for a 'special' birthday

...all while telling me I'm more important).

She thought the vouchers were for 12 months, thus leaving us time to discuss the potential for an extension or refund....but they are only for 10 months.

I emailed the company as I was too upset to ring, and explained all of the above,

and that another company had been kind enough to extend a voucher bought

even earlier under the circumstances, and could they help at all.

I even offered to get medical letters to verify that I hadn't simply forgot, and that have been genuinely very ill.

I very quickly (same day...today) received the following reply:

"Thank you for your email and I am sorry to hear of the issues you had faced last year.

For all eventualities that would prevent a customer from taking their experience(s),

we do say that they can pay to extend their voucher(s).

This will only be honoured all the time that the voucher(s) are still in date.

Unfortunately as both of yours have now expired, we would not be able to assist you on this occasion.

My apologies.

Best Regards

(name removed)

Sales & Operations Manager

(company name removed)

:evil::mad2::sad::frown::Cry::Cry::Cry::confused: = my current emotions

Do I have any way to get my mum her money back or an extension?

Or has my illness cost my Mum her money and me my birthday gifts?

I'm not sure if the vouchers were bought using a debit or credit card (family friend will check)

but any help/ information would be greatly appreciated.

Yours in hope and desperation,

MissSocks :(

I think we had a similar situation last year.. I will try and find out what happened there. Meanwhile I will bring your thread to the attention of others on the site team.

I have to admit, I find it very odd that these are only valid for 10 months !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My own experience of these Vouchers is not a happy one. My Son purchased two experience vouchers for Hubby for his 60th birthday - it was Birds of Prey Experience. When trying to make arrangements for a date - we were faced with many problems - lack of centres within a reasonable traveling distance and timing - we were also left with the impression that the vouchers were over sold and they only permitted so many "voucher" visitors each session- in the end we advised our Son to ask for a refund which he did.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

BCOBS

Know the rules at point of sale

Retailers are allowed to impose expiry dates on vouchers if they follow certain rules, says Stephen Sidkin of City law firm Fox Williams. But there are four sets of rules that might affect a dispute, and how they would apply is not known. Mr Sidkin says, to his knowledge, a dispute over vouchers has never been tested in the courts.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 could help. The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 will also have a part to play.

However, the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts regulations 1999 appear to hold the key to freedom for customers clutching a sheaf of expired vouchers. These regulations aim to prevent an imbalance in the relationship between the retailer and the consumer.

It could be argued, says Mr Sidkin, that an expiry creates an imbalance in the relationship and causes significant detriment to the shopper. Peter McCarthy, a legal officer at Which?, formerly the Consumers Association, says the contract with the consumer would be undermined if the retailer failed to spell out the expiry rules at point of sale.

He says a retailer must tell the customer conditions apply to the vouchers and be prepared to answer questions about them. "It is not good enough to simply include terms and conditions in the small print with the voucher".

Mr Sidkin says: "Customers would need to show it was not a term included in the contract at the point of sale. If you ask yourself 'was there a time limit pointed out at the point of sale?' and the answer is 'no' then you have a reasonable argument to say the rules have been breached.

"Although the sums are often small, I'm surprised no one has taken a case to court yet," he says.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/apr/29/consumernews.moneysupplement

And further information

http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/experience-voucher-expired-can-i-get-refund.html

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread