Dress shorten

Devdas73
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took a £100 brides maid dress for some shortening work. I told them to do it 4 inches but it has been done too short. The shop has refused to reimburse money for the dress. But out of goodwill can sort it.

I'm not sure what to do. As shop says they did shortening by four inch so they only followed instructions. Would It be worthwhile taking it to small claims? After all the shop has a duty of care and responsibility.

please advice dress is for a wedding in summer

It's not clear whether they followed your instructions and the result is that the dress is too short, or that they received your instructions to shorten by 4 inches but shorten a dress more than 4 inches – against your instructions – with the result that the dress is too short.

If they followed your instructions and that resulted in a dress which is too short then I'm afraid that the only thing you can do is to accept their gesture of goodwill because the responsibility lies with you.

On the other hand, if they disregarded your instructions then the responsibility is with them

It's not clear whether they followed your instructions and the result is that the dress is too short, or that they received your instructions to shorten by 4 inches but shorten a dress more than 4 inches – against your instructions – with the result that the dress is too short.

If they followed your instructions and that resulted in a dress which is too short then I'm afraid that the only thing you can do is to accept their gesture of goodwill because the responsibility lies with you.

On the other hand, if they disregarded your instructions then the responsibility is with them

Thanks proving that they shortened it too much is the problem it's basically my word against theirs as they insist it was done to the length I requested as I was the one who pinned the dress.

Did they have you sign on the ticket book (or book they use) the instructions and did they write that it was pinned (and therefore measured) by you

No their argument is I pinned they shortened. So no need to make note

Was the frock pinned whilst you were wearing it ?

I discovered that if you want a frock shortened by a few inches and measure up from the bottom of the hem and pin whilst flat - and then measure and pin whilst there is someone inside the frock you will get two different lengths !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D