• Tweets

• The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Unfair tenancy agreement. Property law advice please?

picklefactory
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello folks. I'm hoping for some advice on tenancy agreements please? Sorry for the long read, but I think I need to be as clear as I can.

My son is at Uni and he and 9 friends decided they wanted to share a house. Being young and foolish, they all got pressured into signing the tenancy agreement, as they were assured they would lose it if they didn't sign quickly. None of them clearly understood the agreement and all of them required guarantors.

I am currently guarantor for my son in his present, single accommodation, absolutely no problems there, but when I read the new tenancy agreement for the proposed new house, I raised numerous concerns and refused to sign as guarantor. Like many such, it is a joint and several tenancy agreement, but how any guarantor would ever sign one of those is a mystery to me. I am perfectly happy to take responsibility for my son's rent and actions, he's a great kid, but I would never agree to take joint responsibility for 9 total strangers. The guarantor agreement also stipulated a joint and several responsibility. I also noticed a number of clauses, in the main tenancy agreement, that caused me concern, and looking at the OFT site, there is a large section there, on this very subject, that seemed to bear that out, if I am understanding correctly?

EG. There is a clause that insists (Not advises) that each tenant must take out insurance to cover contents and accidental damage to the property.

There is a somewhat hidden clause, by way of a reference to a paragraph in a chapter of the 1988 Housing Act, that, once I'd managed to hunt it down, gives the landlord the right to give 2 months notice to the tenants to quit the property, but there is no such option for the tenants to do the same.

There are 2 conflicting access clauses, one that states the tenants are entitled to peace and quiet and to not be disturbed by the landlord, and further down states that the landlord/agents can demand access at any reasonable time of day.

There are others that I think are dubious too, but I'm rambling enough as it is, so those are the main ones. It appears to me as if the landlord has added amendments to a standard agreement to suit his needs.

None of the other guarantors agreed to sign either, and based on that, all of the tenants decided it was a bad move, and wish to pull out, but they have already signed the agreement and the landlord is trying to force them to fulfill that agreement. I realise that they were foolish to sign the agreement in the first place, and that they should have ensured that they, or someone they could trust, had thoroughly read and understood it first, but are they now stuffed and liable? My thought is that the agreement is unfair and could be challenged if it comes to that, but how many unfair clauses would it take for the contract to be deemed unfair?

We have spoken to the landlord to try and come to an amicable agreement, but he is now saying he cannot find anyone who will pay full rent (So much for the queue of potential tenants that forced a quick signature initially!!) and the signed tenants would have to make up the shortfall in the rent from the proposed replacement tenants in order to be released from the agreement.

I'm also wondering, if it did go to court, would the students be eligible for legal aid in a civil case, as none of them are employed, but living on their loans.

I hope someone can advise, and apologies again for the length of this question.

Thanks for reading, those of you who have struggled to the end of this.

Edited by picklefactory

Is there not someone at the University that deals with these housing issues ?

My reading of your post is that the terms of the agreement are pretty standard and not a departure from the norm. Do you have examples of other tenancy agreements, so you can judge fairness or not ?

The tenants having Contents with accidental damage is standard. Under a Contents Insurance there is a section called tenants liability which covers liability for accidental damage caused by tenants to the house, which is not covered by other Insurance. Typically with students, they each arrange a separate Personal Possession policy for their own possessions. Students cannot normally buy one Contents policy for all of them.

If all parents had signed as guarantors, you would all share in any potential issues. But you are relying on others signing it and stumping up their share when a demand is made.

Suggest that they get advice from the Universities housing advice people or student union.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the response uncle B. (I still miss the Wombles)

My son is going to seek help from the university, but I suppose I'm trying to pre-empt any potential ugliness.

This is why I was hoping for some clarification. The Office of Fair Trading site states insisting on tenants to have insurance is unreasonable, quote below

"4.8 Unnecessary insurance requirements - we consider that whether

tenants wish to insure their own personal belongings is a matter for

them and that it is unreasonable for the landlord to make this a

contractual requirement. "

Also on the break clause, the OFT states

"3.65 Landlords sometimes choose to use a 'break' clause allowing them to bring

the agreement to an end on service of two months' notice. We would object

to such a term if it was not balanced by a similar provision allowing the

tenant to give notice in the same way. "

I have no idea if the opinions of the OFT bear any relevance at all, or are they just that...opinions? Do they have no bearing on anything in reality?

Thanks again

Thanks for the response uncle B. (I still miss the Wombles)

My son is going to seek help from the university, but I suppose I'm trying to pre-empt any potential ugliness.

This is why I was hoping for some clarification. The Office of Fair Trading site states insisting on tenants to have insurance is unreasonable, quote below

"4.8 Unnecessary insurance requirements - we consider that whether

tenants wish to insure their own personal belongings is a matter for

them and that it is unreasonable for the landlord to make this a

contractual requirement. "

Also on the break clause, the OFT states

"3.65 Landlords sometimes choose to use a 'break' clause allowing them to bring

the agreement to an end on service of two months' notice. We would object

to such a term if it was not balanced by a similar provision allowing the

tenant to give notice in the same way. "

I have no idea if the opinions of the OFT bear any relevance at all, or are they just that...opinions? Do they have no bearing on anything in reality?

Thanks again

OFT does not exist in the same form, as it was, as the government changed it. But those issues are not law or requirements. They are comments on the issues.

The tenants don't have to arrange Insurance. The landlord is not going to ask to see 9 personal possessions policies to check that tenants liability is covered. But if they don't have Insurance they are still liable. For example a chip pan causes smoke damage after being left on. No fire claim, but a smoke damaged kitchen that needs redecoration. The tenants attempt some minor DIY which goes wrong.

The break clause does not point to any law being breached by this term. It is unlikely the landlord would get a tenancy agreement drawn up that was not in compliance with law as it would unenforceable.

Not an expert on tenancy law and others will comment. But i have read of very similar terms in tenancies and understand them to be pretty standard.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks again. Sounds like they may be up a particular creek without a paddle then. I think this will certainly be a life lesson for them all, if nothing else and I hope it won't get to the ugly stage anyway. It is a real mess now, as there are so many of them involved, trying to get an agreement between them all now is unlikely, and most of them are actively looking elsewhere, so I have no clue how this will end up. I hope it doesn't go too far, as I don't see how anyone can gain. They all have zero assets or employment, so not sure what the landlord could gain by pursuing it through the court. At least it all happened before they moved in, the agreement wasn't due to take effect until June for them to move in, so I assume he has existing tenants in place.

The legal position is that contract terms in a 'standard form' tenancy agreement will not be enforceable if they are regarded as unfair. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2083/regulation/5/made. The OFT no longer regulates this area, but its previous guidance has been adopted by the CMA board and therefore remains valid. The guidance itself is not legally binding but is very helpful if you are trying to decide whether a contract term is 'unfair' or not.

It sounds like some of the terms you have described are unfair. The guidance is very clear that unlimited access rights and a compulsory requirement to take out contents insurance are regarded as unfair.

The effect of 'unfair terms' in a contract is that those terms are regarded as unenforceable. However the rest of the contract remains in force (see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2083/regulation/8/made). So if the students signed on the dotted line, they will still be bound by the rest of the contract. You could try to say that the contract was not binding because the landlord exerted undue pressure and falsely claimed they would lose the property if they didn't sign quickly, but I don't think this would stand up legally.

It sounds to me like a sensible solution would be to ask the landlord to change the contract terms which are causing concern. When that has been done, all parties can sign the revised contract. Your negotiating leverage is that none of the guarantors have signed up at the moment. If that is not possible, then I guess the landlord will just need to find new tenants (there is not much point in him suing students).

If the landlord did want to begin a small claim, this would be a money claim. Legal aid would not be available for this type of case.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thank you steampowered, I will pass on the advice, that is very helpful.

I'm not sure the 'sensible solution' will become a reality though. I get the feeling from son that most of the others have already decided against it now, and unless the joint and several terms were somehow excluded from the guarantor agreement, I doubt the guarantors would sign, I certainly wouldn't. I will happily take responsibility for my son's, single share of the rent etc, but I refuse to be held liable for others potentially defaulting.

I'm hoping something sensible comes out of it.

If this tenancy does not start until June, the landlord has plenty of opportunity to find other tenants. I would query whether this landlord has incurred much in the way of costs.

Perhaps all of the 9 can sign a letter just stating the contract terms e.g A,B,C are unfair, non of the potential guarantors will agree to unfair contract terms. This being the case we don't believe it is possible to proceed and will have to find alternative accommodation.

Something like that might just put a line under this matter and the landlord will find other tenants.

I would not invite the landlord to change the terms if they are already finding other accomodation. What if they come back with another agreement ? Unlikely but it would just drag it on.

Ha...it may possibly have been beneficial had I mentioned the tenancy start date initially....Doh!!

That sounds like a logical step, thank you.

I suppose the point is that this tenancy agreement might never be accepted without guatantor singatures and without the guarantors the agreement never came into any force.

There is another new thread today by Dragnetpickle ( anything to do with you ?) about a student tenancy where one of six students did not pay and there was no guarantor. In that case a letting agency was involved.