Redundancy question - employment law

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The company I work for last Friday informed us five staff from our office were under threat of redundancy. Two production staff and three designers.

We were then informed at the start of our 2 week period, that the two prod staff were gone and only two designers were needed.

I offered voluntary redundancy straight away which I have only found out today nine days later was refused through an email from our Northern HR, the decision has come from London HR who we have not spoken to or seen.

We have been informed our interview is tomorrow (we received a letter today), this will be held by two staff one is our manager who has never used a mac, the other is an IT manager who knows nothing about design or publishing.

Why would they do this when they have many more qualified personnel to take the interview in our London office - sorry but just dont trust them?

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

To be a good manager you dont necessarily need to have the same skills as those you employ to do those particular tasks. I would assume that those people know about intervieweing and getting the best out of people, employment law and various other fields that the company uses them for such as strategic thinking, custonmer focussed skills etc.

As the number of staff affected is failry low the procedure they are using is not faulty.

HR are not the same as the old personnel of days gone by, they have a different function in most organisations so again, not an unusual step