Check Talktalk aren't charging for free upgrade

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When Talktalk were hacked last year, they offered customers a free upgrade as compensation.

They were able to add one of the following to their existing services with the group:

• TV content including movies, kids entertainment and sports;
  • A mobile SIM with a monthly allowance of free texts, data and calls;
  • Unlimited UK landline and mobile calls;
  • A broadband health check by experienced engineers

Turns out that far from free, Talktalk have been charging some customers

TalkTalk customers should check their bill closely if they accepted a free upgrade, and make sure they are not paying for it.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/01/talktalk-hacking-free-sim-offer-apology-charge

I'm afraid I have little sympathy with anyone silly enough to get involved with TalkTalk. I sacked them some years ago, and endured a year of evasions, lies and 'lost' correspondence as they sought to obtain money I simply did not owe them. Promise after promise that it had been sorted out - only for the harassment to resume within weeks. It took legal action to sort them out - they gave in the day before the hearing. A year later, they bought out my isp - Claranet - after which quality of service went totally down the tubes. I cancelled of course. But... well you can guess the rest. Though it did get a bit surreal when they claimed they did not know I'd changed isps - contacting me via my new email address!!

There's only one way to deal with TalkTalk - STAY AWAY FROM THEM.:-x

Edited by pixwix

• 2 weeks later...

We took the Picture Box upgrade and was annoyed to find I had been charged over £30 for movie downloads. Apparently the movies are different from Picture Box, which I cannot even find !

To make matters worse because I had gone over my credit limit of £50 by just over £2, my phone was cut off ! Anyone trying to use the phone was redirected to Talktalk, but only I could deal with them.

After a LOT of complaining I received a refund but could not make them understand how upsetting it was to lose the phone. What if my teenage children needed to call out in an emergency, my Wife is a Nurse and regularly rings work. What if it had been urgent ? No they didn't grasp it.

Why could I still download a film but not use the phone ? No answer. I asked could they have contacted me in advance, first person said they sent an Email, but could not tell me where to. The customer service manager said they do not send emails it is upto the customer to monitor account.

So, for the time being I will stick with them, because up to now I have been happy with the service. But I will be considering alternatives in the future.

As I said to one of the reps' I feel I have been scammed by the people who should be protecting me.

Found out last week that they charged me for the "free" upgrade.

Duly called them and told them I was leaving.

They said I had to pay £80 early termination fee.

I replied that I would have reported Mr dido (ceo) who offered me the free upgrade.

Also told them I would start court proceedings against him personally for allowing my personal details to be released.

Since the hacking I have blocked over 500 numbers of companies who knew my personal details.

They let me speak to a manager and she agreed to let me go without extra charges.

By the way, I'm not leaving before the end of my contract which was ending at the end of this month anyway, so why did they try to charge me £80 is a mistery.

Got a cancellation reference number and thought all was good.

Friday I received a call by a (not so) smart woman who was waffling words and made clear several times that she was recording the call.

In one of her waffling she mentioned that I agree to the £80 charge.

I stopped her right there and said that the game was over.

I had recorded the call from the beginning and when I told her she quickly terminated the call.

Nice one talk talk!