BT to divert nuisance calls for free

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

BT has said it will launch a new service later this year to divert nuisance calls within its network before they ring on customers' phones.

It said it will use huge computing power to root out 25 million unwanted calls a week.

Currently, BT customers can buy special phones that block nuisance calls, or pay to stop calls getting through.

But the new service will identify some of the 5 billion unwanted calls made each year before they arrive.

They will then be diverted automatically to a junk voicemail box.

Customers will be able to add numbers they don't want to hear from, for free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35545914

BT offers 'breakthrough' service to divert 'huge numbers' of nuisance calls

Most people receive an unwanted telephone call every month, mainly about PPI or personal injury claims, automated marketing messages or sales.

Now a BT team will monitor calls to our 10 million domestic customers and identify any patterns of callers.

The "rogue" numbers will be diverted to a junk voicebox, which we estimate will affect up to 25 million unwanted calls a week.

If you’re a BT customer, you’ll also be able to divert the calls yourself to the "Blacklist".

The service will launch later this year, harnessing huge computer power to analyse data.

http://home.bt.com/news/bt-life/bt-offers-breakthrough-service-to-divert-huge-numbers-of-nuisance-calls-11364039280071

I would like to see other networks do this as well. Nice one BT.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

about time they offered something, esp for 'free'..hopefully it will also weed out those dodgy international calls and those with odd forever changing caller id's that might get through.

i wld still like to see the Anon Call Reject service being free, given that it is free for callers to withold their number in the first place.

The right way to tackle the problem of rouge callers is to remove the ability to use anonymous dialing and force them to use a genuine caller ID. Once we can track down who is making these nuisance calls, they can be brought to book over their nefarious activities.

Monitoring calls to BT's domestic customers is sailing pretty close to the wind as far as invasion of privacy goes. Smacks of GCHQ/NSA involvement, but I welcome the move if it it really does stamp out these nuisance callers.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

BT has said it will launch a new service later this year to divert nuisance calls within its network before they ring on customers' phones.

Like others here, I seriously doubt that BT will maintain this as a free service for very long. If we can depend upon BT for one thing at least, it's surely greed.

I don't like spam calls any more than anyone else, but I find an allied annoyance even more of a nuisance.

And that's the growing habit of many public bodies, including the NHS, of withholding their numbers from caller ID. I refuse to answer any withheld number - I don't see why I should endure repeated withheld-number spam calls just on the offchance that one of them is from the NHS. None of the explanations I have heard makes the slightest sense - I served the public for 40 years before retirement and never found any need to conceal my telephone number. More than one of the medical personnel I have to deal with tell me that they don't understand the requirement either, and increasing numbers of their clients often cannot be reached by phone - like me they simply don't answer withheld number calls. Crazy.