BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1455 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me.

I have had a bailiff visit today for a council tax debt that i have been paying up until recently but have missed 2 payments in the last few months due to work circumstances.

The bailiff asked about goods in my home to which there is nothing of significant value.

He then proceeded to say if I didnt pay 335 today he would recommend committal.

For the last 6 months or so i have been paying £40pm and also £20pm to a debt sent back to the council.

They have also charged £235 for the visit so its made a £100 debt £335 and charged £235 for the second account making £335 go to £570.

I have been charged multiple times for bailiff visits and i thought they could only charge me once.....if it wasnt for the constant £235 charges this debt would have been cleared a long time ago.

Can anyone advise on how to deal with this best as im not wilfully declining payment i just cant afford the ludicrous amounts they are asking for.

Thanks All

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me.

I have had a bailiff visit today for a council tax debt that i have been paying up until recently but have missed 2 payments in the last few months due to work circumstances.

The bailiff asked about goods in my home to which there is nothing of significant value.

He then proceeded to say if I didnt pay 335 today he would recommend committal.

For the last 6 months or so i have been paying £40pm and also £20pm to a debt sent back to the council.

They have also charged £235 for the visit so its made a £100 debt £335 and charged £235 for the second account making £335 go to £570.

I have been charged multiple times for bailiff visits and i thought they could only charge me once.....if it wasnt for the constant £235 charges this debt would have been cleared a long time ago.

Can anyone advise on how to deal with this best as im not wilfully declining payment i just cant afford the ludicrous amounts they are asking for.

Thanks All

An enforcement agent has nothing to do with committal. That action is pursued by the council at Magistrates and they will only considef this for willfull refusal to pay.

You need to send a full written complaint to the Head of Revenues at the council, marked urgent threatening to involve the local government ombudsman.

Also regarding the enforcement visit fee, if they are visiting regarding two liability orders, they can only charge £235 once.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the response.

Am I within my rights to ask for the debts to be passed back to the council and to pay them direct.

I currently work in finance and told the bailiff that any action like this would cost me my business to which he said iy was my fault.

Im not a serial debt builder and just want to be able to pay a set amount each month to clear this without constant charges.

In relation to 'multiple fees', the legal position is that when the enforcement company receive an instruction (or warrant), they should check their computer records to ascertain whether there are any other debts (maybe another Liability Order or a Penalty Charge Notice) owed by the same debtor. If so, then all debts should be enforced together and just one enforcement fee of £235 charged.

However, if for example another account was received by the enforcement company after the enforcement agent had visited, then a separate enforcement fee of £235 may indeed be added.

If two enforcement fees have been applied, then you really must make enquiries (with the local authority) to find out the dates when each account had been referred to the enforcement agency.

Thanks for the response.

Am I within my rights to ask for the debts to be passed back to the council and to pay them direct.

You can indeed ask for the debt to be returned to the council but it is very rare for the council to agree. The following document outlines the problems that you may face:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?453047-Bailiff-enforcement-Setting-up-a-payment-arrangement-and-whether-you-can-pay-the-court-or-the-council-direct