I step in constantly during my manager's long term absense

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have a question and I was wondering if someone could help me.

My manager has some health issues ( depression among other stuff) and during the past 3 years he has been off for a total of 9 months. 5 and 4 months continuously during 2 years and has now been off for over a week.

I have a feeling he will get another long term leave which of course as it is health related I totally understand he might need it. But the issue is that every time during his long absence , I end up doing his job and it involves allot of stuff.

For the 9 months I did his job I received absolutely nothing from the company and only a thank you after i complained about getting a pay rise ( which of course i did not get).

So i would like to know if I can demand or is my company obligated to pay me more if my manager goes on another long term absense.

If I do not receive anything can I refuse to do his job even though I am the 2nd in command?

I am happy to the job if he is on a short term sick leave ( 1 -2 weeks) or if he goes on holidays , but for more than that , I have had enough

Thank you in advance

Not entitled to anything as it is not permanent so any extra reward is discretionary.

You may be able to refuse to do his job but that would depend on the wording of your job description. If the only difference in duties is a level of responsibility the refusing will be a breach of your terms of employment. More is not the same as higher level.

Having read your other posting I would suggest that you read your job description and then keep quiet as you arent exactly making friends an influencing people.

I do not have a job description as it was an internal job which it did not exist before. The difference in duties is more than just responsibility, I will do all the managing of everything including paperwork , projects and as a consequence will stall my current training to move up the ladder .

In regards to keeping quiet , of course I will not if I feel being mistreated , hence I ask for further advice.

Do you believe doing my manager's job long term in 2 occasions in the past and most likely a 3rd one now is fair?

Thank you for your advice in both posts

I'd say if you want to move up the ladder do the cover well, wait until he's let go for illness, and Bob's your uncle.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

The main point of my comment is more is not the same as higher so beware of making a grievance and then landing on your backside because it is covered by a job evaluation. Being asked to fill in for someone is not mistreatment.

The suggestion of waiting until you know how long this latest episode of absence is a good point, you could ask for your job to be re-evaluated to include the change in career path once it is clear the absence is going to be more than very short term.

But whatever you do dont go complaining to anyone that the current situation is not fair, they will think you are not motivated or interested in the higher post and appoint a new bod over you when the time comes.