Great Britain and Its Weather.Have you any tales to tell.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The weather and how it affects us here in Great Britain.

I must admit having worked in construction and now roaming the beaches each day collecting driftwood

i tend to keep one eye on the weather forecasts and one eye on the

stormy seas and the other eye on what i am collecting.

This winter the Atlantic has in my mind spoilt the fun for those of us who could be called coldies.

Snow has been forecast week after week only to be blasted out of the way by the jet stream and its warmer air.

However for the first time this winter models are suggesting and seemingly agreeing at the moment for

a dumping of snow for many places even the South towards next weekend.

Could change but the first time things seem to point this way.

Well i will leave that bit now,forecasting has been very tricky this winter,

a few degrees out and everything goes pear shaped.And has.And makes you look stupid when you warn all the neighbours

get your sledge out,best bearskin coat and huskies ready for action.Only to find you need your boat instead.

Or tea shirts and shorts and barbeque as it is balmy.

Now when i was a kid winters were winters,icicles hanging from the gutters of the house,sometimes a foot long or more.About 30 centimetres for you youngsters out there.

You went out of the house very carefully,tending not to slam doors.

In case a avalanche of snow landed on your head sliding of the roof. or worse.Snow lay for weeks,and this was on low ground not elevation.

Frost on the ground and in my house on the inside of the windows never mind outside.

Used to write names and draw on it first thing in the morning.

As you breathed out the breath used to freeze as you exhaled landing on the floor with a tinkle as it broke into pieces.

Enough of that,why have i written this.Well i am sure some of you are coldies,looking out sometimes when it snows,

Perhaps watching the lamp post light to see the snow drifting by.

Enjoying the countryside and towns when things are suddenly transformed into a winter wonderland.

Have you ever been caught out by the weather as i did late Autumn.

On the Shoreline,nice enough ,all of a sudden no place to hide,spotted the sky darkening.wind got up and hailstorm

from hell arrived,all in minutes.

Horizontal wind and ice pellets that stung worse than the pea shooter my brother used to fire at me when a kid.

Have you ever been caught in a weather event ,perhaps the thunderstorm,lightning from hell, a blizzard,seen a unusual event.

Are you a coldy hoping for some snow before winter fades away.Or looking forward to the first real warm day of spring soon.

Next weekend perhaps.:madgrin:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Britains climate is now mostly mild, wet and windy, with grey skies most of the time. We don't get any long settled periods like we once did. Even 10 years ago, we would get a few nice weeks in Spring, with blue skies, crisp mornings and it warming up by lunch time.

I have worked in Insurance handled claims during major storm events. Taking 200 calls a day, leaving the office with a sore throat. Head still ringing after being shouted at by numerous people. When you are dealing with many tens of thousands of claims, some people think you have an army ready to sort out their issues within normal timescales.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi unclebulgaria67

You just reminded me of a event in 1987 i think.Not 100% sure of the date.

I was watching a weather forecast as usual on the BBC.I can still remember it to this day.

Michael Fish i think said a woman has just phoned and said a Hurricane is coming should i be worried.

No calm down dear nothing like that to worry about he said.Something like that.

Next morning i got up went to the front door and opened it to be greeted by chimneys,chimney pots slates,tiles,fences flying down the street.

It blasted half the country that night.Temperature as i remember rose rapidly that night and in the Hurricane came.

I tell you this it kept me in work for over 6 months.And for many months afterwards.Took months for the smile to leave my face.

Strange how out of dangerous weather events some gain.Someone has to fix things.

Just checked nice one Michael.

Better cool down about Michael Fish as he still lives with that forecast to this day.

You cannot really blame him.

It is said that the Met Spotted a storm and warned ships to avoid the area that is was expected.For days before.

The forecasters used to gain a lot of info from ships back in the day.

So the ships headed away from the area as you would expect.

So no real upto date info then was available.And the storm arrived unexpected by many.And devastated parts of the country.

I still watch the weatherman to this day on his weekly forecast.I think he is now 72 years old.

So i have read.Best i can do,i am sure others can explain more.

TV weather presenter Michael Fish will long be remembered for telling viewers there would be no hurricane on the evening before the storm struck. He was unlucky, however, as he was talking about a different storm system over the western part of the North Atlantic Ocean that day. This storm, he said, would not reach the British Isles - and it didn't. It was the rapidly deepening depression from the Bay of Biscay which struck.

If you have any pictures of weather events or stories recent or older please put them on.

Really enjoy reading your stories and any pictures.

Now have i told you about the time i saw the clouds beginning to turn in a circle one stormy day,or working in a place called Knott End when the alley i was working in got hit by lightning twice in one hell of a thunderstorm.Hail the size of golf balls hit another day.Did no end of damage to my plants.Never mind greenhouses round and about.How does that happen do you think.

Or arriving in a place called Brough to see the telephone box nearly buried in the white stuff and stopped by the police who said no further for you young owl.

No, well i will leave it for another day,waiting for your stories and perhaps pictures as things move on.

Some of you must live in the hills perhaps or wonder how the country sometimes slides to a halt when a couple of inches of snow falls.

Tell us your tale of the unexpected.Whenever you feel like doing so.Or a picture or two.

Bye for now.

Tawnyowl.

Afraid I cant provide any photographs, but have 3 rather scary memories of being caught out by heavy snowfall

1954/55, I lived in a small village outside of Cambridge. I was just 5 years old and my first term at school, it was a 1.5 mile walk and Mum used to drop me off in the mornings and come pick me up at school end on her bicycle. This one particular day it had started to snow when she started out to collect me and was about 6 - 8 inches by the time she got to the school. We tried to cut across the fields but the wind was fierce and the snow quite heavy as I was so small she was finding it heavy going. So she cleared an area of snow - upended her bicycle and tied me to it with her scarf and raced off to collect a farmer and tractor to come and pick me up. She said in later years that it was about 20 minutes, but it felt like a life time to me.

1968 - Wandsworth, London heavy snowfall brought traffic to a halt - I was on a bus and about half hour away from home and 8 months pregnant ! I went into labour !!

1984/85 - Working at London Bridge, living in Sidcup, Kent - heavy snowfall brought traffic to a halt again - trains just stopped and the bus I managed to cram onto only went as far as Eltham. It took me just over 3 hours to walk from Eltham to Sidcup - snow was about 4-6 inches deep. I was so cold and by the time I reached home I couldn't get the key in the lock I just sat on the doorstep and sobbed until someone heard me and let me in :lol:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Michael Fish will certainly be remembered for that day :lol:

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I rarely take any notice of the national weather now because here in sunny Southend on sea, the weather changes by the second!! it either blows hot or it blows cold sometimes even blows warm, this changes only because my lovely daughter (24) is at home, if I ask how she is I get snapped at (cold) ask if she wants something to eat or drink (warm) if I ask if she wants to go out shopping it blows a heatwave!!!

If I read the mood right I get a warm smile if I get it wrong I get the icy look, if I tell her I 'love you' it gets warm, get the drift lol? Women how they change the weather by the second by Dad!!!!

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

I rarely take any notice of the national weather now because here in sunny Southend on sea, the weather changes by the second!! it either blows hot or it blows cold sometimes even blows warm, this changes only because my lovely daughter (24) is at home, if I ask how she is I get snapped at (cold) ask if she wants something to eat or drink (warm) if I ask if she wants to go out shopping it blows a heatwave!!!

If I read the mood right I get a warm smile if I get it wrong I get the icy look, if I tell her I 'love you' it gets warm, get the drift lol? Women how they change the weather by the second by Dad!!!!

:lol:

BCOBS

Michael Fish will certainly be remembered for that day :lol:

:) poor chap, it'll prob be on his headstone 'i got it wrong'

not really just re gb weather, but have been caught out by an outgoing tide (N Corn) whilst diving. imposs to swim against even with fins.

When we leave the EU, we'll be finally free to decide our own weather, instead of having it dictated by the Brussels bureaucrats!

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

When we leave the EU, we'll be finally free to decide our own weather, instead of having it dictated by the Brussels bureaucrats!

Absolutely :lol:

BCOBS

mikeymack2002

I rarely take any notice of the national weather now because here in sunny Southend on sea, the weather changes by the second!!

Wondered why sunny Southend on sea was written so checked it out.

And yes,tis true it is a fact Southend on Sea is the warmest and driest place in the UK.

Essex worked down there in 2011 and had a fine time. Late Oct 76 degrees swimming around in the North Sea.

Southend-on-Sea is officially the warmest and driest place in the UK - they don’t call us ‘Sunny Southend’ for nothing!

http://www.southendweather.com/climate.php

And daughters yes my youngest is 21 at home and controls the mood as well.Warm at the moment.Planning a holiday in the Canaries so climate is heating up.

Having said that Mount Teide in Tenerife is snowed in at the moment,roads were closed.

citizenB

Afraid I cant provide any photographs, but have 3 rather scary memories of being caught out by heavy snowfall

No need to the picture you painted with words made things as clear as any photograph.

Dangerous,scary situations that you came though unscathed but have never forgotten and now written down as everybody should do to remember these events in life.

And look back on.

3 interesting events for sure.

Ford.

poor chap, it'll prob be on his headstone 'i got it wrong'

We have to mention it again.

What about this,Michael Fish.

Great Storm of 1987: Michael Fish's 'white lie'

Did it do him any harm.

On the 25th anniversary he told current BBC weatherman Nick Miller his version of events and how he could never have imagined it would lead to him featuring in the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics.

Interview Video.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19926031

Ford

have been caught out by an outgoing tide (N Corn) whilst diving. imposs to swim against even with fins.

Very scary,caught out myself in Essex,one minute i looked next minute getting sucked out by tide.100 Metres

Still here so got back as luckily so did you.And fins as well,powerful stuff.

More stories please i know many of you have them and they are really interesting and sometimes humerous.Enjoying them.

Bye for now.Just getting sledge and barbecue ready just in case it goes either way this weekend.

Tawnyowl.

:)

not really just re gb weather, but have been caught out by an outgoing tide (N Corn) whilst diving. imposs to swim against even with fins.

Ford

Very scary,caught out myself in Essex,one minute i looked next minute getting sucked out by tide.100 Metres

Still here so got back as luckily so did you.And fins as well,powerful stuff.

More stories please i know many of you have them and they are really interesting and sometimes humerous.Enjoying them.

Bye for now.Just getting sledge and barbecue ready just in case it goes either way this weekend.

Tawnyowl.

I think that is one fear I have on the coast.. getting caught in turning tides !

:lol: Dont forget the snow shovel and rubber dinghy !

BCOBS

I think that is one fear I have on the coast.. getting caught in turning tides !

:lol: Dont forget the snow shovel and rubber dinghy !

:) meant to say 'snorkeling' (instead of actual diving), but couldnt go back to edit the post :lol:. but, yeah it was a weird experience, going nowhere fast.

a 'winter' barbe', sounds good.

citizenB

When i got caught i was in a strange area and had not had time to work out the tides.

Still could not name the place.

It was a freaky spell of hot weather and was in Chelmsford.So went to the coast with friends.

A small resort with a few beach huts and what seemed like a power station at the other side.

Straight in like a dolphin,swimming about and just floating on my back looking at the sky thinking life was great.

The tide must have changed next time i looked i was 100 metres away from where i wanted to be.

I was not the only one.One lad was further out than me and flapping.

It was a strange feeling,what to do.First of all i went out a bit as you would but quickly realised no chance of dragging him in,if things went pear shaped, so let loose a tirade of language to gee him up.Which did thank goodness.And set off sidewards towards the shore at olympic speed before he arrived shortly afterwards and was off like a Hare.

Could have been very dodgy.Wondered why i was so tired but had a heart attack a few weeks later so that explained things.

Half a hour later as quick as that the sea had departed.

Only in the last few weeks i have seen a couple of people on the verge of being caught out on sandbanks as the tide encircled them,got me flapping again because apart from calling the coastguard you wonder what will you do if,and you do not really know till it actually happens.

A dodgy place the shoreline at times.

Especially if you are not familiar with the area.

Ford

yeah it was a weird experience, going nowhere fast

Fully understand.And how it affects your brain at the time.

With fins that was one powerful pull,Davey Jones locker was calling.:madgrin:,only joking. Nice escape.

Well things are going to get a lot cooler as the week progresses.

What is going to happen will.Sun is getting slightly higher.Whatever you want i hope it goes your way,whether dry or snow.

The weather forum i go on one hell of a debate is going on, weather models are flying around.

Everything on a knife edge,quite promising,we will see.

All options are covered.

I agree year round Barbies,why not.:-)

Bye for now

Tawnyowl.

Could have been very dodgy.Wondered why i was so tired but had a heart attack a few weeks later so that explained things.

Very frightening - and thank goodness you didnt have your heart attack at sea, TO ??

BCOBS

Hi citizenB

Very frightening - and thank goodness you didnt have your heart attack at sea, TO ??

55 at the time,thought i was pretty fit,still feel that way,gym a few times a week,but at the time while in the sea,thinking why so breathless.

Maybe i had a lucky escape because while out there for a moment the thought did cross my mind something is not right.

Few weeks later wire up the arm trying to get a stent into my blocked artery.No they said,like concrete blockage.Started talking about drills.

Which sent a few shivers through me.I had developed a collateral artery,kind of a natural bypass i suppose.Lucky.

Back in 7th March for examination of heart to see what they are going to do,another crack at unblocking or bypass,or nothing,i will see.For sure.

Gym on treadmill to prepare is my answer.

Sorry for going on a bit,flapping a touch.Not that keen on hospitals.

Now the weather.Around the North West this morning,yes can you believe it,snow showers have been around.

For snow lovers who have been starved of seeing a snowflake even a happy start to the day.

Some are saying in parts of the country that their ankle biters,or rug rats or kids have never seen a snowflake in the last few years.

A photo of the coast the day i got caught in a hail storm and had nowhere to hide.And a stormy day,collecting driftwood.

The birds in the top right hand corner were getting a right pasting.Felt sorry for them.

2n9ch6u.jpg[/img]

Not the best picture but it was a quick shot.My excuse.I will send another of a stormy sky .All within a few miles of Blackpool's beach.

Christmas eve.2015.Beach was covered in Sea Foam.Had my eye on a Massive piece of driftwood.A little rough.

If you have never seen sea foam a video as well to show you.Sticks to your car,for sure and takes a little getting rid off.

2daahs8.jpg[

Sea foam.Quite keen on this beach.

Is that a car stranded in that final image, TO ?

BCOBS

Hi citizenB

No,just having a scenic drive.:lol: The sea foam is often around that area.Flies around and looks like the blizzard from hell as you approach.

People seem to enjoy it,strangely enough.Like suds in a washing machine,light and fluffy.But if a high wind around a little uncomfortable.And a devil of a job to wash off the car.Ha.Some dip down in it and vanish to emerge looking like a abominable snowman.

Another picture of a piece of driftwood i had my eye on for months as it moved around that area.Covered in foam. And a piece that appeared which made me think the Loch Ness monster was on holiday in the area. People wrote poems on it,strange how some things motivate people,inspire them.Finally a message appeared on it saying do not chainsaw going to be used for a community project.Will post later.Hope it interests someone.

Weather models have now changed as they have done all winter getting many banging their heads against the wall when promising snow,then delivering nothing special.

So many chops and changes to come.A cold easterly perhaps :-(

Beautiful and sunny here even if it is cold, been like it where I am for most of this week, got blue sky as well! Am hoping the The Flying Scotsman comes by as I am near a rail line :)

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Beautiful and sunny here even if it is cold, been like it where I am for most of this week, got blue sky as well! Am hoping the The Flying Scotsman comes by as I am near a rail line :)

Does it bring back childhood memories of when it first ran !

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Snowdragon.

Yes.Nice sunny weather.Sun is a little higher.Noticed the UV levels have moved from 1 as most of the winter to 2 so do not get sunburnt:-)

I hope you see the Flying Scotsman.

Saw it on the news arriving Kings Cross.Going to York i think then touring perhaps.