• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

@BrightHouseUK supplied BEKO tumble dryer which ignited

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The store won't visit as uve issued them a letter not to send bailiffs

I hope they didn't use that word...:lol:

if they did then they can be in serious trouble

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

£2440!!!???!?!?!?

Really? That's absurd?! And that's just for one dryer and one washer?!?!

Well they wouldnt have used "Bailiffs" - They would just be collection agents.

Do the words "Removal of implied right of access notice" ring any bells in any correspondence that has been written to BH? (If so then you need to let us know)

Anyway, back to the dryer. Well its completely up to you, however, I personally would let them round, minus them taking it away so they can do a damage report. (I wouldnt let them take the thing)

How are Beko going? Have they said they will help you out on this one? Could avoid BH completely?

Fire leaflet seems to just be the outside unless im missing something?

Should i also assume that you have 2 accounts with BH, one for you and YP? If so how much are you / were you paying out to BH?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

£2440!!!???!?!?!?

Really? That's absurd?! And that's just for one dryer and one washer?!?!

Well they wouldnt have used "Bailiffs" - They would just be collection agents.

Do the words "Removal of implied right of access notice" ring any bells in any correspondence that has been written to BH? (If so then you need to let us know)

Anyway, back to the dryer. Well its completely up to you, however, I personally would let them round, minus them taking it away so they can do a damage report. (I wouldnt let them take the thing)

How are Beko going? Have they said they will help you out on this one? Could avoid BH completely?

Fire leaflet seems to just be the outside unless im missing something?

Should i also assume that you have 2 accounts with BH, one for you and YP? If so how much are you / were you paying out to BH?

Evening.

Beko do seem keen to resolve this themselves due to nature of complaint and issues with other similar condenser models.

BH have been informed and brushed me off I won't be chasing them in any way shape or form (I'm not like the other half)

Implied rights of access notice is exactly what it was and because this was issued the store refused to attend yesterday after the customer relations team at BH Requested they visit.

If they came round it would be filmed and it make that clear as I can't trust them to be quite honest and as a professional business why would they have an issue being filmed?

The leaflet was just a general information booklet left no further details enclosed however shows that fire brigade have been in attendance.

Legal clarity required.

BH attend to to a damage report, as they obtained peaceful entry would they have the right to repossess goods once inside?

Evening.

Beko do seem keen to resolve this themselves due to nature of complaint and issues with other similar condenser models.

BH have been informed and brushed me off I won't be chasing them in any way shape or form (I'm not like the other half)

Implied rights of access notice is exactly what it was and because this was issued the store refused to attend yesterday after the customer relations team at BH Requested they visit.

If they came round it would be filmed and it make that clear as I can't trust them to be quite honest and as a professional business why would they have an issue being filmed?

The leaflet was just a general information booklet left no further details enclosed however shows that fire brigade have been in attendance.

Legal clarity required.

BH attend to to a damage report, as they obtained peaceful entry would they have the right to repossess goods once inside?

Where did you get the Implied rights of access notice from? It has no basis in any law whether Bailiff or Repo John just down the road. All you have to do is just tell them to go away :) , Bailiffs (You know the proper type) are permitted to attend the property.

As for peaceful entry, at any point you may order them out of your house, its your property.

Be aware that unless you've paid more than 1/3 of the cost of said item, then they could take them, however if you send in written correspondence that they are there to attend JUST to do a damage report and not take ANY Items and they confirm they are happy to just attend to do the damage report and wont attempt to repossess any of the goods then it should be good

As legal action is involved on YP's side then BH would be daft to do anything stupid at this point...

I was under the understanding that the unit had been moved outside?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

'they' cant take anything.

even if you invite them in for whatever reason.

1/3rd paid or not.

if you don't wan them to take the goods

end of - its your private property

you tell them so.

they are not bailiffs and have absolutely no legal powers.

remember they are in your house.

the ONLY people that could do that would be COURT BAILIFFS

with a return of goods order.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

'they' cant take anything.

even if you invite them in for whatever reason.

1/3rd paid or not.

if you don't wan them to take the goods

end of - its your private property

you tell them so.

they are not bailiffs and have absolutely no legal powers.

remember they are in your house.

the ONLY people that could do that would be COURT BAILIFFS

with a return of goods order.

Agree with DX but due to the nature of whats been bought up by YP - I would suggest full written correspondence to the tune of what I told you.

Be aware that unless you've paid more than 1/3 of the cost of said item, then they could take them, however if you send in written correspondence that they are there to attend JUST to do a damage report and not take ANY Items and they confirm they are happy to just attend to do the damage report and wont attempt to repossess any of the goods then it should be good

Covers you and them should they try any funny business.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

It is outside in my shed however they'd need to come through the house to obtain access.

There going to have a lot more problems with me than what they have had regarding other agreements.

This don't compare to a credit file entry.

I don't hold out any hope they will contact me tomorrow as I certainly won't be contacting them.

I've moved in with partner did this before Christmas.

BH were advised on my now address via email in form of a written letter.

Beko have confirmed the incident on partners address BH have got my old address it seems.

They ain't realised who's house the fire took place in as of yet

The other half has been told not to discuss this incident with them

and I'll deal with them as I need to ensure they don't combine his issues with mine

post 31

covers it then.

IMHO do nowt interms of comms..agree

dx

and they

Update

Please be assured that we do take seriously any claims involving BEKO products and are concerned to hear of your comments regarding the tumble dryer.* I confirm that our Technical Liaison Officer, Chris xxx, has left a message on your mobile.

In order to assist we must first attend and inspect the appliance to identify the cause if the issue.

Please also note that our appliances that are sold via Brighthouse do not come with a manufacturer warranty and all warranties are with Brighthouse directly. However it is due to the severity of the issue advised that we are sending an engineer to inspect the appliance.

Once again we apologise for any inconvenience this matter may of caused you.

Kind regards,

Beko

Beko have cancelled the scheduled engineer visit as the technical liaison officer is visiting himself at 9.30 am tomorrow Tuesday

But I have now since heard from BH.

-I was questioned on the delay of fire service attending. The fire was self extinguished and you guys advised I contact fire service and when I did they dispatched a unit immediately.

-BH confirmed they were in an awkward position due to ongoing proceedings with my partner and harassment issues.

-BH questioned why I failed to update them of my change of address they soon apologized once they were emailed a complaint submitted to them in September 2015 that I am still awaiting a reply to. Including in that letter was notification of change of address.

-BH Requested my consent to discuss my account with partner and vice versa they stayed they had to cover themselves.

-BH were granted permission to visit the house to do a damage report by partner however he stated he'd want it confirmed in writing their reasons for attendance and that they were not to repossess any goods, BH immediately got defensive and advised us they don't appreciate such accusations and would never repossess under false pretenses.

-BH advised my account was in default so I have no applicable service product.

-BH decided they will await Beko visit and will make contact at 10am to confirm next steps. Beko are coming at 9.30am.

-BH have been provided with the fire call reference number and have confirmed attendance. As speculated they had checked my old address on Saturday totally incompetent

I've tided up your posts into one post. So BH take it as an accusation? It wasn't supposed to be that at all and was to just set the record straight, however if they have confirmed they wont attempt to take the goods then it should be fine.

Okay so for now, let the Safety Officer Attend and let BH then make a decision. I'm surprised that Beko dont offer a Warranty with BH sold Washers / Dryers... That smells a little IMHO Opinion (No pun intended)

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Regardless of there failure of Warrenty wouldn't the above Consumer protection act still apply as the manufacturer.

A claim may be brought under the CPA by any person who is injured by a 'defective product', regardless of whether that person purchased the product. A claim may be brought for death, personal injury or damage to private property in excess of £275. However, no claim may be brought for damage to business property or for 'pure' economic losses. In particular, the CPA provides that a claim cannot be made for the loss of or damage to the defective product itself. Other than these restrictions, the CPA imposes no financial limit on the producer's total liability

I've tided up your posts into one post. So BH take it as an accusation? It wasn't supposed to be that at all and was to just set the record straight, however if they have confirmed they wont attempt to take the goods then it should be fine.

Okay so for now, let the Safety Officer Attend and let BH then make a decision. I'm surprised that Beko dont offer a Warranty with BH sold Washers / Dryers... That smells a little IMHO Opinion (No pun intended)

It does indeed stink especially as the model has been dicontiuned and can't be purchased through an everyday retailer only catalogues eBay or brighthouse.

BEKO have attended alone for the first hour then they decided they had a further independent inspector outside and asked if he could come in.

Cause of fault internal fluff and dogs hair that had overheated.

Basically my fault, apparently it's not advised to use the appliance in a room with dogs as the fur can get caught up and build up close to the heater this happens when the fan is in operation.

Cleaning the filers after every other wash is not adequate it should be done after every wash.

They have cleaned the machine and will sent me a new filter to replace the burnt out plastic one.

The smell was refereed to as burning the hairs on your arm and the incident is my fault AS THERE MUST HAVE BEEN SOME OIL OR FAT FROM COOKING ON THE CLOTHES IN THE APPLIANCE THAT HEATED UP CAUSING THE HAIR AND FLUFF TO IGNITE.

I must stress the machine was purchased in September 2015.

I will leave you form your own opinion on the assessment.

BEKO have attended alone for the first hour then they decided they had a further independent inspector outside and asked if he could come in.

Cause of fault internal fluff and dogs hair that had overheated.

Basically my fault, apparently it's not advised to use the appliance in a room with dogs as the fur can get caught up and build up close to the heater this happens when the fan is in operation.

Cleaning the filers after every other wash is not adequate it should be done after every wash.

They have cleaned the machine and will sent me a new filter to replace the burnt out plastic one.

The smell was refereed to as burning the hairs on your arm and the incident is my fault AS THERE MUST HAVE BEEN SOME OIL OR FAT FROM COOKING ON THE CLOTHES IN THE APPLIANCE THAT HEATED UP CAUSING THE HAIR AND FLUFF TO IGNITE.

I must stress the machine was purchased in September 2015.

I will leave you form your own opinion on the assessment.

So not as bad as thought? What have BH said?

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

So not as bad as thought? What have BH said?

I won't be using the machine again. It's clearly not fit for purpose if the fluff builds up inside the machine and escapes the filters.

I will be obtaining an independent report and the fire sevice report and review my options.

The filter is being replaced as black and burnt out what's to say this won't happen again.

I'm not satisfied with the explanation and it comes as no surprise there has been no contact from BH

I won't be using the machine again. It's clearly not fit for purpose if the fluff builds up inside the machine and escapes the filters.

I will be obtaining an independent report and the fire sevice report and review my options.

The filter is being replaced as black and burnt out what's to say this won't happen again.

I'm not satisfied with the explanation and it comes as no surprise there has been no contact from BH

Some hotpoint dryers are being modified (& those that can't be modified replaced!)

due to a similar issue : Fluff build up, catching fire.

However, expect the manufacturer (+/- retailer) to try to differentiate between

i) design fault : fire risk even where manufacturers instructions regarding primary and secondary filters followed, and

ii) no design fault, no fire risk when instructions followed, but fire due to not following instructions.

You can bet the instructions say "clear the (primary) filter after every load".

What do the instructions say about any secondary filter (if any)?

Is it a condenser or vented dryer?

(Secondary filters / fluff build up being more common with condenser dryers as fluff doesn't go out to atmosphere).

As for "not to be used where there is dog hair" ;

was this highlighted at time of sale or in the instructions?

If not, how can you be expected to comply, and given lots of people have pets

- should they not make this a prominent warning?

You may need to get an expert opinion as to:

a) if the fire was due to a design fault or non-compliance with eg filter cleaning expected of an average user, and

b) was the dryer suitable for use in a house with dogs?

Is it a condenser or vented dryer?

(Secondary filters / fluff build up being more common with condenser dryers as fluff doesn't go out to atmosphere).

As for "not to be used where there is dog hair" ;

was this highlighted at time of sale or in the instructions?

If not, how can you be expected to comply, and given lots of people have pets

- should they not make this a prominent warning?

You may need to get an expert opinion as to:

a) if the fire was due to a design fault or non-compliance with eg filter cleaning expected of an average user, and

b) was the dryer suitable for use in a house with dogs?

Condsenser dryer.

There was a build up in the secondary filter and apparently the ventilation was causing this to blow around internally.

As for dogs well..... its their escuse and I must say myself it's a rather good one however I must agree that it should be a warning considering most dogs sleep in a kitchen and most dryers are situated in a kitchen.

This is not excess dog hair as the room is hoovered daily. As I said it's a bloody good excuse to deny liability at this early stage

Update

BEKO have resolved this to my satisfaction.

As for Brighthouse I still have not heard from them.

Not that I'm shocked.

Excellent, BEKO want to limit reputational damage, as to Brighthouse, it would seem their reputation is six feet under.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!