• Tweets

• Hmmm, interesting point. In my career, that I am retired from now, there were an immense amount of rules and regulations that one had to adhere to by law. The qualification process is rigorous with on going assessments throughout your career and re-certification every 12 months. If you were shown to be not competent in those rules and regulations you could not hold the position and the operational consequences of that could potentially be dire. In the same respect, perhaps a judge who is not conversant in the rules of POFA should not sit in on cases that requires proficiency in that area? I also bow to your considerable knowledge in this area, perhaps I shouldn't be commenting but by doing so I find it helps the learning process. Your last point has just reminded me of something that may help my case, thank you.
    • Just had an email re the my breache in agreement by her rep.   I asked you yesterday if they had asked about her name in the thread being removed.   The issue they have is the Elizabeth turner and genetic pups entry on google.   they knew I did not put it up and told them so in court.  I dnt know how to post on google.   I told them I cannot remove what I did not post.  when i come back here and saw her name gone from threads title, I presumed her reps sought it.   now I get an email saying her names still on google ur breaching the agreement as it’s still on google.  
    • Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

The Y's V Abbey - Claim submitted ** WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

My 1st post on this brilliant site, and I am excited but nervous. Have already had 6 yrs of Abbey microfiche statements sent to me after paying my £10, (which they took out off my account on the same day they recieved the letter!) Have just sent off my 2nd letter giving them 14 days to give me a payment date, and claiming £782 for unpaid DD charges from 2000 to date. So far Abbey have been very fast with replying to me, and sending statements etc, hope this carries on!

Have been a customer of Abbey since 1978 and I am very nervous about all this. I know I am in the right to do it, but it still is a scarey thought.

Just read alll the posts about the bog off letters you have all recieved too. I suppose mine will apppear any day now! Anyway, the 1st 14 days is up on 21st November, so we will see what happens by then, if anything.

My fingers and toes are crossed as its about time I had a bit of luck!

Any advice would be great, as I am so nervous about all this.

Will keep you all informed.

Thanks!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks DS, and good luck with your claim too!

I posted the 2nd Letter - Preliminary approach for repayment on 7th November and today is the 10th November and have just had this morning a 'ta for your letter, sorry your unhappy' letter. Is this a record? 3 days to get a letter from the Abbey!!!

This is what I had:

Thanks you for your letter, I am sorry that you have been so unhappy that you have felt you must complain.

One of my team will be responsible for investigating your complaint and I have enclosed our Complaints leaflet, which explains our procedure for doing this. High quality customer sevice is of great importance to us at Abbey and we will do everything we can to resolve your complaint in a timley and satisfactory manner.

I know it is important to you that we resolve your complaint quickly, but we want to do a thorough investigation and sometimes this can take time. If we have not contacted you before then, we will write to you in four weeks time to let you know what is happening.

Although I do not know what the outcome will be, I do hope that we will be able to find a solution that you are happy with.

M Winder

Head of complaints

I have a few questions to ask if thats ok.

I presume this is a standard letter? And that I do not respond to it?

Am I right in thinking at the end of the original 14 days, which is November 21st, I then send off the LBA to the Abbey?

I am very nervous about all this but determind to claim back what is rightfully mine and any advice would be welcome!

Thanks!

Actually, I got a few dates wrong in the post above, the letter from Abbey was written on 10th November, 3 days after I posted my prelim letter, and I had the letter today Monday 13th November.

Hi Jany40,

Good luck in all you are doing. I am just about to send in my initial letter with schedule of charges and I am absolutely terrified! It comes to just under £3000 for the last six years. I know i am entitled to it but I am so worried that they will shut my account down and I haven't got a parachute account or the credit status to get one opened. Anyway, fingers crossed for you, will keep you posted as to my progress and I look forward to reading yours.

Sue

Hi Sue, I know what you mean about scary, but like you say, its our money and its only fair we get it back. About the parachute account, I have read somewhere on here on one of the forums that a Nat West Step Account is the best one to go to if your credit score is bad, so thats the one i am going to try anyway.

I am also sort of now excited about all this as well as its quite a challenge for us 'normal memebrs of the public' to take on a bank!!!;)

Good luck with your claim, keep in touch

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the tip about the NatWest Step Account, that's really helpful. I sent my preliminary letter off today with my schedule of charges so I will keep in touch as soon as I have any info.

You're sooooo right, it is exciting to be taking on the bank and I'm getting really upbeat about the whole thing now. BRING IT ON!!!!!:D

Good luck, Sue

Hi,

I can totally understand why you guys/girls were terrified but dont forget they took your money. You are only reclaiming what is yours.

I have just recieved my statements through for the last 12 months with the promise that those now stored on microfiche will follow.

So far my charges amount to £825.

I will of course be persuing them for this.

My main question on this is, that as the 40 days are almost up, do I make a claim now or wait for the rest of my statements to arrive.

I am totally piddled off this morning. Had a letter from Abbey refusing to pay. They have said it is our fault we got charged!

Account numberXXXXXXX

Thanks for your letter dated 7th Nov about your bank charges totalling £782. I am sorry you feel these are unlawful at common law, statute and recent consumer regulations,

Having carried out a full investigation, I can assue you that the charges do not contravine those regulations and therefore I cannot refund them.

The regulations say that we must explain our charges in plain language and that we have to act in good faith, which, according tp the office of fair trading, means dealing fairly and openly with customers.

I therefore reviewed the litrature and information you recieved when you opened your account, including the terms and conditions. This explains that charges will be applied if you do not keep to the terms and conditions of the account. Because of this I believe we have been fair and open in telling you about them. The charges were correct because you did not have enough money in your account to cover payments requested from it. When I look at your account I found that unfortunatly this was not the first time this has happened.

I can see we have refunded charges in the past as a gesture of goodwill, we also did our best to make you aware the importance of managing your account to prevent this from happening again.

I am confident that I have been fair and have and have taken into account all the points you made in your letter, but if you have any additional points you would like to discuss with me please call me on..........., I have enclosed a leaflet about the financial ombudsman service in case you are not happy with my investigation or decision. If so you should contact them within 6 months enclosing a copy of this letter as they would need it for thier investigation.

Now, this is the bit I am so annoyed with, I feel like they are patronising me, and I dont like thier wording at all

I hope we can work together to avoid charges in future. Little things, like checking your account as often as possible and looking at the dates of direct debit to make sure they are taken shortly after money is paid in. If you feel you might need longer financial helpo or advice please call .......and we will be happy to help

Senior customer resolutions manager

So, I now feel totally fed up, I am asking myself is there any point in carrying this on.

Has anyone else had a letter like this from The Abbey and you carried on and you have won and they settled in full?

Also, do I now have to wait for the 1st full 14 days before I send out the LBA.....that was due to be sent on 21st Nov originally if I had no reply.

Do I have to give them the full 14 days to offer a refund now, even though they have written and refused it?

I really don't know what to do now, I don't want to let them beat me, but today i feel they are winning.

PLEASE give me some advice!

Thanks

Jan

Hi Jan

I am sure you should proceed with a LBA immediately - giving them 14 days to cough up and pay you what is rightfully yours. Then at the end of that time just issue MCOL, everyone else has been getting their money back so why should'nt you.

Don't give up! We are all here to support you.

Regards

DS

Just keep going, it is just a standard brush off letter. You will get the money back eventually, send your LBA, then after 14 days put in a claim.

Abbey - Claim 1

full hearing 22 Feb 07 - Settled in full £710 :D

Abbey (Claim 2)

full hearing 22 Feb 07- Settled in full £4000 :D

Abbey (Claim 3)

Court date 27 June -

Capital One (claim 1)

£467 Settled in full 20 Sep :D

Capital One (claim 2)

£72 refunded 19 Aug :-D

Associates (Citicards)

claim 8 Aug/judgment by default 30 Aug/set aside hearing 9 Oct/Stay denied, ordered by Judge to reveal breakdown of charges andfull hearing 24 May/FULL DISCLOSURE ORDERED BY 8 MARCH/JUDGE TO STRIKE OUT DEFENCE AS NON-COMPLIANCE/DEFENCE STRUCK OUT PAYMENT IN FULL REQUIRED IN 14 DAYS

Thanks to you all for your support. I would be lost without you all. I would definatly have given up by now if it was not for you guys, I have today posted the LBA, so they have till 5th Dec now and then it's MCOL .

Can I ask what I should expect now? Will they ignore the LBA or is it usual to get some sort of response from them or is that just wishful thinking!!

Will keep you posted and best of luck to everyone who is claiming.

Jan

Hi Janey40

I wish you well in your pursuit of what is rightfully yours.

I've got as far as AQ (Allocation Questionnaire) and shAbbey, unfortunately, submitted its AQ yesterday, so I have to wait and see now.

I'm wondering whether or not this thread is in the right place, as the title is "Abbey and Cahoot successes" - that is why I logged on to it?. Perhaps you need to PM (Private Message) one of the Mods (Moderators) and ask them to move it to the Abbey and Cahoot general action thread space.:confused:

All the best

Sue

Wanabee:cool:but easily :confused:ed!!

23/6 Data Protection Act + £10

6/7 Pam Speed ltr

7/71 yr sttmts (2nd a/c) Faxed auth. 4 £10m'fiche

9/7 Screen prints 1 1/2 mths 1st a/c/2 1/2 mths 2nd a/c

11/7 20 mths sttmts 1st a/c

25/7 DPA reminders

1/8 40 DAYS UP & NOTHING

5/8-8/9, 7/8 3 "sorry not happy"/"m'fiche not covrd"ltrs

9/8 IFO form & backup mat'l

10/8 LBA/calcs 2 Dawn Hoyle

CHECK COPY STMNTS - DON'T HAVE CHARGES AT FRONT

12/8 a/c info fm 2001

18/9 £505 GWP offer

26/9 Rej. ltr/7 days 2 court action (1st a/c)

10/10 Moneyclaim form online (1st a/c)

20/10 Ack of Serv rec'd

3/11 AQ 2 court

20/11 Abbey AQ @ court

4/1/2007 Preliminary court hearing due

30th Dec. 2006 REC'D FULL PAYMENT INTO BANK ACCOUNT - ABBEY's WITHDRAWN!!:D

Hi Janey40

I wish you well in your pursuit of what is rightfully yours.

I've got as far as AQ (Allocation Questionnaire) and shAbbey, unfortunately, submitted its AQ yesterday, so I have to wait and see now.

I'm wondering whether or not this thread is in the right place, as the title is "Abbey and Cahoot successes" - that is why I logged on to it?. Perhaps you need to PM (Private Message) one of the Mods (Moderators) and ask them to move it to the Abbey and Cahoot general action thread space.:confused:

All the best

Sue

Thanks Sue, but I have no idea how to PM one of the mods, but do agree I think I put this in the wrong place. What is this AQ by the way?

Jan

I managed to open my parachute account yesterday , one worry less now! I opened a Nat West Step account, and even with a poor credit rating, there was no bother, so hope that helps anyone who is worried about opening another account.

I had to laugh, as the bank manager looked at what was coming in to our account each month and decided to apply for an Advantage Gold account...I nearly died when I saw her do this as I knew we would be refused, but anyway, she went ahead and low and behold, we were refused So I just turned to her and said all we wanted was a basic account, to pay a salary into and take out DD's etc, with a debit card, so she decided the Step account was for us...(err yes, thats what I asked for), and she set it up for us.

We also didnt need to pay any money into the account to open it, thought I would mention that incase that fact was putting anyone off opening another account till they were able to deposit funds.

Jan

Thanks Sue, but I have no idea how to PM one of the mods, but do agree I think I put this in the wrong place. What is this AQ by the way?

Jan

Hi Jany

Don't worry about AQ at the moment - it's what you have to fill in when it is allocated to a court. All the answers are here on the site.

PM (private message) to the Mods (or one of them) is again quite easy when you know how! Go to the top of your thread page and click on "Private Messages". On the left is "Create message" and in the message area is a "Receipient" box. Start to type in the name of whichever Moderator you choose - if you don't know who to use, it doesn't matter as they're all great. Just look at some of the other threads to get an idea of who is a Moderator, then start to type in that name. When you've put in a few letters it should bring up a list of those with that series of letters. Choose the Mod you're PM-ing and continue like any email/thread post.

Hope that helps.

Sue

Wanabee:cool:but easily :confused:ed!!

23/6 Data Protection Act + £10

6/7 Pam Speed ltr

7/71 yr sttmts (2nd a/c) Faxed auth. 4 £10m'fiche

9/7 Screen prints 1 1/2 mths 1st a/c/2 1/2 mths 2nd a/c

11/7 20 mths sttmts 1st a/c

25/7 DPA reminders

1/8 40 DAYS UP & NOTHING

5/8-8/9, 7/8 3 "sorry not happy"/"m'fiche not covrd"ltrs

9/8 IFO form & backup mat'l

10/8 LBA/calcs 2 Dawn Hoyle

CHECK COPY STMNTS - DON'T HAVE CHARGES AT FRONT

12/8 a/c info fm 2001

18/9 £505 GWP offer

26/9 Rej. ltr/7 days 2 court action (1st a/c)

10/10 Moneyclaim form online (1st a/c)

20/10 Ack of Serv rec'd

3/11 AQ 2 court

20/11 Abbey AQ @ court

4/1/2007 Preliminary court hearing due

30th Dec. 2006 REC'D FULL PAYMENT INTO BANK ACCOUNT - ABBEY's WITHDRAWN!!:D

Hi Jany

Don't worry about AQ at the moment - it's what you have to fill in when it is allocated to a court. All the answers are here on the site.

PM (private message) to the Mods (or one of them) is again quite easy when you know how!

Hi Sue:)

Thanks for that, I sussed it out in the end and have had it moved to here, so all is ok now. Thanks for your help.

Jan:smile:

Hi Jany40

You are well on the road to getting your money back and good luck with it. Just keep reading the threads, you will find those that are at a similar point to you or further on, and this will give you info and pointers in your own claim. Always remember that the bank want you to think it is all your fault and that they are blameless, that is not true we did not make the rules, regulations or have any influence over their T & C's. If you make a mistake you pay, If they make a mistake they pay and boy did they make a mistake.

Regards bish.

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

Can anyone tell me what address I put on the MCOL for the Abbey please. I thought I would go as far as I can with the form filling, save it, and then once the 14 days are up after the LBA ( I checked and they had it today recorded delivery), I will be on the ball !

Thanks

Jan

Abbey National PLC

Abbey National House

2 Triton Square

Regents place

London NW1 3AN.

Very plush I am sure.

Regards bish.

Abbey National PLC

Abbey National House

2 Triton Square

Regents place

London NW1 3AN.

Very plush I am sure.

Regards bish.

Thanks for that Bish :) I appreciate your help.

Yes, it does sound very plush, bet its all 2 inch thick carpets furnished with our bank charges fees lol

Any news on your claims yet?

Jan

I had confirmation of my account number etc on my parachute account - Nat West Step account - yesterday, so I am now a happy bunny. I know thats all set up if the Abbey decide to close my account.

Can anyone tell me if they have to give any notice if they close my account, or, put it another way, even if they do HAVE to give me notice, do they give notice! And if they dont give me any notice and they just close it, can I take it further?

Worried about my DD's and salary with it being so near Xmas.

Also just checked my account online and noticed a £10 card payment to HM Courts last week ( an old TV licence fine) so if Abbey decide to look at my account, and spot that, I hope the fact that they notice I have paid money to a court makes them scared lol, Prob not, but It's nice for me to think it will !!!

I wondered how many people have recently been offered either a GOGW since they sent their LBA in or full settlement.Wondered if their tatics had changed recently? I sent my LBA 3 days ago.

Hay ho, bring it on Abbey!!

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks to your advice I have now got a parachute account set up with Royal Bank of Scotland. Same as the Step account with Natwest, just called something different!

I'm still waiting to hear from the Abbey after my preliminary letter, they have got until Thursday (30th) and then I send the LBA. Still feel a bit sick with nerves but I MUST NOT BACK DOWN!!!

Glad to hear things are moving along with you, keep going and don't forget that it is your money, not theirs. I'm afraid I don't know about the notice before they close your account, or if it is standard practice for them to close it at all. Sorry, not much help there.:o

Keep in touch and good luck.

Sue

Hi Jany40

Glad to be of assistance. My claim is progressing very quickly now, I am confident that things will be settled on Monday.

Regards bish.

Hi Jan,

Thanks to your advice I have now got a parachute account set up with Royal Bank of Scotland. Same as the Step account with NatWest, just called something different!

I'm still waiting to hear from the Abbey after my preliminary letter, they have got until Thursday (30th) and then I send the LBA. Still feel a bit sick with nerves but I MUST NOT BACK DOWN!!!

Sue

Hi Sue, Glad to hear you have set up your account.

It seems I was lucky with Abbey with my prelim letter, they replied quite fast, seems their tactics are changing abit now:(

They have till 5th Dec to reply to my LBA then its MCOL.

Dont let them scare you, I was thinking like that when I had my letters, til i realised they were all standard letters, and I have seen copies of them on the forum quite a lot. Don't let them put you off Sue. Just keep coming to the forum, and you will feel better once you see your not alone.

We can help each other. I have pm'd you with my email addy by the way.

Hang in there!

Jan