Having a nightmare!!! Learner Driver insurance

Welshblonde
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My point which i think the FOS would agree with, is that this company Collingwood are offering learner driver products. Therefore it is highly likely that parents will buy cars for their children and the registered keeper may be changed over from parent to the children. If there is any issue with potential voidance about registered keeper, given nature of this product, then Collingwood should offer a clear warning on their internet site.

They may well give a warning, hence my suggestion to do some research, if they don't give a warning it may assist your theory.

The OP's best hope of resolving the issue is via the Consumer Insurance Act and thus working out whether they would have offered cover under that scheme / Insurer based on the correct information should be the OP's first port of call as the FOS / TCF take a long time to resolve and is subjective

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been looking around for car insurance to insure him when he passes but the question is there about ever having insurance cancelled or voided on all websites I've visited. Any ideas?

Dacouc has already said that you simply take out a policy in your name as policyholder, note your Son as a named driver, but also the main driver. Make sure you advise the registered keeper correctly per the V5. See post #22

Then you need to get the complaint started about the voidance. I think there is enough information in this thread now, for you to start putting something together. Remember it is your Sons complaint as policyholder and if you want to deal with it, he would need to confirm his consent in writing within the letter sent. Dacouc and I have discussed in the thread the issues, with Dacouc giving the Insurers side as to what defence they could make.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The issue that I have is that all the websites I have looked at say have you and any named drivers ever had insurance policies declined, cancelled or voided. Therefore, there does not seem to be a way around it. I will collate the information today and get the wheels in motion.

Contact a local Insurance brokers (but not Swintons who are part of large French Insurers). They will know which Insurers will accept.

Explain to them that your Son arranged Insurance for learner car you bought for him, but you did not get around to sending off the V5 to change registered keeper to him. The learner insurance voided refusing the claim and this is now subject to a complaint. The brokers will know the questions individual Insurers ask, as it does vary.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The issue that I have is that all the websites I have looked at say have you and any named drivers ever had insurance policies declined, cancelled or voided. Therefore, there does not seem to be a way around it. I will collate the information today and get the wheels in motion.

Have a look at Direct Line, Privilege and Churchill as they tend to be lenient on void policies, read the questions and assumptions carefully.

Should the matter go to the Ombudsman and is judged in your favour or you succeed with an Official Complaint / Consumer Insurance Act, the Ombudsman will rule that the Collingwood must put you back into exactly the same position you were before their error. Thus it would be wise to keep a record of (Reasonable) expenses you incur and keep documents that show the difference in the premium he pays to replace the cover etc

One final question - as my son didn't have an accident and the claim has been declared void - do I still need to declare the accident when I am inputting his details. I've put it down on my driving record but not sure what I do about his!

You enter that you had an accident claim against you.

Thank you. I've checked the Collingwood site and I would not have been offered insurance if I was the registered keeper. When I inputted parent it stated I needed to have my own insurance! 😭 I've sent a letter anyway stating it was an honest mistake but legally I don't think that will hold up unfortunately! All a bit of a mess really.

Unless you click on the parent button there is no warning. All I can do is go down the this was an honest mistake and I feel that my son has been treated unfairly due to my error and hope that the void is taken off his name. Not even bothered about the money for the car- just the fact that a genuine oversight on my part could have such an impact.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent a letter to the insurance company on the 25th February and have not received any reply from them regarding this matter. Should I send another copy of the letter I first sent and ask them to acknowledge receipt in writing?

A bit early to chase. They have 20 days to respond and with Feb being a short month. But if you don't hear by middle of next week, chase it up.

Had a letter today stating that as he was not owner/registered keeper then policy is voided according to the underwriters as there was a false declaration. There is also an enclosed form of consent and indemnity to fill in. Do I send it back or not???

The insurance companies call this fronting and it used to be a common practice in order to reduce the young drivers premium, they will ask how many cars are in each house and who is the main driver. If you don’t tell the truth you could make your insurance invalid

I understand what you mean about fronting - however, I had my own car with my own fully comp insurance. Took learner driver insurance out for my son on his own car -I just didn't send off the V5 - admin error on my part - I only drove his car as a named driver as named on the policy. I really did think I had sorted this in the correct way.

The form is so you agree to repay them, whatever they pay to a third party, if you were liable.

Being that you are in dispute about the voidance, you can't really sign the form. It is like signing a blank cheque and letting them deal with it.

Think you now need to inform them that you will elevate the complaint to the FOS and take their response as their final letter. Then go onto the FOS site and start your complaint.

I spoke to a lady from the FOS this morning who stated that as he wasn't the registered keeper she wasn't sure if I had a complaint. This is all such a mess and all because I didn't send off a piece a paper. Talk about a lesson learnt!

Another question if my insurance states that I am allowed to drive any car that I am not the owner of as a third party - could my insurance pay out third party costs as I was not the owner only down as the registered keeper by error?

If you read through this thread, it has given you plenty of information to help you make your complaint to the FOS.

Whether you complete the form or not, the Insurers will have to pay the third party, as the Insurers holding the risk under Road Traffic Acts. You are just not giving them a blank cheque.