• Tweets

• The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
    • Hi. I'm afraid I've had to hide your post with the pdf files to keep this anonymous for you. You've left the PCN reference number and your car reg showing. Could you edit that and repost please? HB    
    • Well naturally if you want to maintain your outrage, and retain something to bitch about, then arguing about the level of your fixed monthly DD is the way to go. You are of course perfectly free to ignore the easy solution.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Harlands Xercise4less cancellation

weastman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2925 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently cancelled my direct debit to Xercise4less thinking this was an acceptable was to cancel my membership. However it seems it was not and I have received a letter from Harlands stating that I have been charged a £25.00 admin fee bringing the bill to £44.99.

I cancelled the direct debit on the 2nd Feb with payments normally going out on the 4th of each month.

Now does any of what they say have any legitimacy. I have read around on here and it seems I do not need to pay the admin fee (no matter how much they insist).

However do I need to pay this months membership fee? I have just logged onto Xercise4less and have requested to cancel my membership with them.

Can somebody please advise on what my next step should be and what I legal am required to pay.

Thank you in advance.

It is usual to give them thirty days notice of cancellation and one months fee yes.

So if you have completed the contract (12 months?) then on the 11th month, you give them your notice to cancel, and one months fee, so at the end of that 12 month period you owe nothing.

You can ignore Harlands/CRS et al, their fees are wholly unenforceable, and laughable.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thank you, so I cancelled the contract today but cancelled the last payment on the 2nd Feb (ie final payment went out on 4th Jan) so will I have to pay two more month to them ie, them previous month and now a month forward from today. I am on a rolling month contract so don't have a fixed 12 month contract.

Thank you for the prompt reply

OK, be prepared to expect more deforestation from Harlands/CRS, and if you do, I'd be very inclined to forward them all to the gym in question and at the same time embarrass them on social media, before escalating their incredibly dire customer care the relevant authorities to investigate.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

My heads a little fuzzy (again!) today, so,

You had a rolling contract, your payments usually went out on the 4th of the month, in Feb you cancelled your DD two days prior to it going out?

AFAIK, you need to give them 30 days notice you want to cancel, so IMO you owe one months fee......Slick will no doubt look in on this later and advise, and either confirm or correct my advice.

The fees they add are NOT payable at all.

P.S. you should pay the gym.

Yes all you say is true, however I think that I may be required to pay two months membership as although I cancelled the direct debit on the 2nd Feb I only informed them I was cancelling the account today, am I therefore require to pay a further month from today forward?

IMO, I would offer them one months membership fee, you could offer them two if you're feeling generous?

Hi Weastman and welcome to CAG

How much were you paying a month.

I doubt you owe any more than one month's fee and you should not pay any fees added by Harlands/CRS.

Do not reply to any contact from Harlands for now and do not call them for any reason. They have no right to insist that you contact them.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I understand that I probably am required to pay one months membership to the gym (i think it is £20) so what do I do for now, how do I pay this. I know that legally I don't have to pay the fee but don't want to with hold anything (ie the membership) that I legally do need to pay.

Is there risk of this affecting my credit rating and so on?

Send a letter to the gym's Head Office in Leeds :-

Dear sir or madam,

I cancelled my DD mandate on 2nd February to end my monthly gym agreement.

I now realise I should have paid a final month's fee for the notice period.

I am willing to pay this but I will not pay the penalty fees that Harlands are demanding on top.

Please let me know how I can pay you the final month's fee to end this matter.

Please also ensure that Harlands stop contacting me immediately. I will not pay the penalties they demand.

Send this by letter and get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO, as proof.

If the gym fails to sort this and let Harlands make further demands, you can go public using the gyms' Facebook and Twitter facilities.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Should I also contact Harlands in any way? Or not at the moment.

I have also just moved house so I assume I should notify them of this. Should this just be a simple letter or should I also refer to the fee and membership.

Thank you for your help

I'd normally suggest you do not contact Harlands at this stage, just the gym.

However, it's important that Harlands have your new address. So write to them confirming your new address but I wouldn't bother saying anything else at all.

Get a free Certificate of Posting for all letters sent.

Edited by slick132

Attempted to PM you Slick...

However, IMO, if the OP informs the gym of their current address for correspondence,even stating ''please acknowledge my current address'' (if it differs from the original at sign up).

Then IMO that is surely evidence enough, should it be needed, that you have been open and transparent, and should they attempt any underhand methods of enforcement (which they don't) it can easily be exposed for the fraud it really is?

Hi BBoo,

The reason for the brief letter to Harlands is to ensure they have the new address, thus avoiding the chance of them taking court action (unchallenged) using the old address.

Just Belt and Braces really.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent the recommended letters to both Harlands and Xercise4Less a couple of weeks ago now but have not heard anything back, really hoping they are not sending letters to my previous address. In addition I have attempted to cancel my contract with Xercise4less both online and through email requests to head office, but again have received no reply. Any recommendations or should I just sit tight?

Hi Weastman,

Are you able to check if anything was sent again to the old address ?

In any event, no reply from Harlands and from X4Less is good for now. It doesn't mean it's all over but, the longer they take to contact you further, the better it is for you.

Keep us posted.

Ever since The OFT v AMSL case in the High Court in 2011, no data has been carried by CRA@s about alleged gym m/ship arrears.

But keeping an eye on your CRA files is always sensible anyway.

Ever since The OFT v AMSL case in the High Court in 2011, no data has been carried by CRA@s about alleged gym m/ship arrears.

But keeping an eye on your CRA files is always sensible anyway.

Yes, I forgot that :frusty: even when I read my last post, I was sat here correcting my own advice!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received two letters forwarded on from my previous address from Harlands.

- Dated 17/03/16

We are disappointed that you have not responded to our previous correspondence.

The March installment has now been missed, resulting in a further administation fee of £25.00 being added. The total amount now to bring your account up to date is £89.98.

Please call the Harlands Helpline - 01444 449033 to make payment by Debit/Credit Card and reinstate your Direct Debit Instruction. If you wish to pay by any other method, you must still phone us to discuss your options.

The telephone lines are open 9.00am to 1.00pm and 2.00pm to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.

If you do not call us by 27 March 16, then the collection of your membership fees will cease to be administered by Harlands and will be passed to a Debt Recovery company. This may incur you significant additional fees and ultimately result in court action.

-Dated 23/03/16

Further to your recent letter to our offices,

Harlands can confirm we have yet to receive a response from Xercise 4 Less regarding your cancellation of your membership.

Please be advised Harlands are the direct debt management company for Xercise 4 Less and we cannot cancel membership without their authorization.

May we suggest you contact Xercise 4 Less directly to process your cancellation as a matter of urgency.

These letters worry me for the following reasons

- They are not dropping it

- They are still sending letters to my old address (who are getting a little annoyed) despite being requested to send to my new address in a letter to them.

- I have not received any contact from Xercise 4 Less in response to trying to cancel my membership, I do not understand how a company can simply be uncontactable and that essentially I am unable to cancel my membership (indefinitely)!

Can you please help me out with these points and advise on how to proceed, thank you in advance for your help.

How did you inform them of your new address?

In writing?

There is absolutely nothing to worry about, this is a well worn trick to exploit your lack of knowledge and make you react like you are now.

Get onto X4Les social media ages, FB/Twitter, and embarrass them on there, for their atrocious customer service.

If you sent them your new address ''in writing'' and have proof of this, then they will fail miserably if they try and obtain a CCJ by default.

(Which they won't, I've yet to hear of them ever taking anyone to court for a flawed gym contract)

Hammer X4L, IGNORE this powerless CRS/harlands, they are completely toothless.

Exhaust their complaints procedure, with a view of demanding compensation off them for their terrible service/stress caused.

Embarrass them on social media, warn any potential customers to avoid these like the plague!

I assume you followed advice in post #13 and wrote to Harlands with your new address.

No need to reply to Harlands/CRS at all. They should be ignored completely.

Best way forward is to use Facebook and Twitter to publicly complain to X4Less that :-

1. You wrote to them in February but have been ignored completely.

2. They are allowing Harlands/CRS to hound and harass you with no regard for how this impacts on you, their customer.

Thank you for the response, yes I sent the two letters with proof of postage to Harlands and X4L as advised, I worry as they will continue to send letters to my old address (who are getting a little annoyed) and I assume will now stop forwarding them on, so I will not know what Harlands ect are threatening. I will take to twitter now.