What constitutes evidence 'beyond reasonable doubt' ?

pmailkeey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Is there any truth in the rumour (English law) that a court won't convict on the evidence of a sole witness ?

Also, is there any truth in the rumour that witnesses must be independent - i.e. ruling out 3 close members of a family effectively being 3 witnesses rather than 1 ?

Mike.

No to both.

What is true that in each case the magistrate or jury has to decide what weight to give to witness evidence. All other things being equal the more witnesses there are the more weight witness evidence is likely to have - if they say similar things anyway. Similarly if witnesses might have colluded and aren't independent of each other this can also affect what weight is given to the evidence, or whether the jury believes them at all.

There are no rules about this, each case will depend on its specific circumstances.

You also have to consider the 'hearsay' rules. Did the witnesses see what happened or did they hear it from a 3rd party? Things like this are important.

Sadly there too are rules as to what 'hearsay' is and when it can be relied upon.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Sadly there too are rules as to what 'hearsay' is and when it can be relied upon.

Not sure why it's sad that there are rules about hearsay evidence - surely it's a sensible thing to have rules about? - but the detailed rules are on Crown Prosecution website here:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/hearsay/

There are more user friendly summaries on several law firm websites if you search for 'hearsay evidence'.