The European Union.....In or Out?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

some people are incapable of sussing things out for themselves, so are sheep and follow the other sheep, i.e. I do not like being told what to do in law = well this countries laws are antique in nature, and the government want to take away all your right ( what little there is left), so use your head or get a calculator.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have worked out two things.

1) UK is a small island and punches beyond its weight mostly because of history/language. As time goes by, with massive population increases mostly in Asia and Africa, the UK as an independent nation trying to trade with the world is going to be more difficult. It is probably better to be part of an EU trading bloc.

2) Migration levels are unlikely to change much following Brexit, because it is highly likely freedom of movement will continue, as part of having full access to the market on a tariff free basis. There is a chance of a sudden influx of people after an out vote, as those interested in coming to the UK might be prompted to make the move. UK citizenship applications from EU mainland citizens living in the UK will increase.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

As has been pointed out frequently - we are a small island nation. Which, over the past 20 years or so has been changed radically - with the citizens of the UK having to adapt and change with no obligation on those wishing to come here, for whatever reason, to adapt and change with us. That is not a generalisation - but for the majority of migrants to this country, the minute they have their foot on our soil are wanting things done the way THEY are used to !

You might want to have a read of an article from 2002, which covers the Ugandan Asians that were forced to leave Uganda in 1972. One thing that simply lifts off the page is the acknowledgment the Asians were party to their own downfall. Aside from which, the larger amount of those expelled (80,000) 30,000 by far the largest group, came to Britain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/2399549.stm

But some have taken the view that however wrong the actions of Idi Amin, the Asian community did not exactly endear itself to Ugandans.

Yasmin Alibhai Brown is a newspaper columnist. She and her family left Uganda in 1972.

Looking back, she says that she still misses her homeland but also loves London, where she now lives

"Many Ugandan Asians have similar ambiguous views - that so much was lost and even more gained when Amin banished us from a country we had helped build".

She says that the Asians did little to share their wealth and skills, they sent money out of the country illegally and "most Asians were deeply racist, unable to imagine marrying Africans and living with them as equals".

She says that the president also reminded them that relatively few Asians had been killed in Uganda but that half a million Ugandans died in the wars that began during Mr Amin's period in power.

She concluded that when looking back on the expulsion of the Asians, people needed to remember the truth about what happened.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/11/bradford-stabbing-prompts-uk-asians-to-warn-of-racism-towards-black-people

Another article from 2015 where Asians are pretty much advised to look among themselves with regards to racism - against black people !

I noticed during some of the interviews that were done by the BBC, a lot of Asian people were also seriously against the taking of more migrants - and it didnt seem to matter whether they were asylum seekers or economic ?

It is my belief that migration, is one of, if not the main issue, that is being given as a reason for those wishing to exit the EU. Resolve that and you will likely find that people will not concern themselves about anything else.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It is probably better to be part of an EU trading bloc.

Trading bloc yes. That is what we were taken into, it is now our Government setting our laws, rules and regulations.

See, Hitler is still alive but he now wears nothing but Primark jackets and has had a breast implant.

Very thought provoking CB.

The way i look at it is, that migration has been happening forever. It will continue forever, whether people like it or not.

The worlds population has trebled since world war 2 and will hit 10.5 billion by 2050.

Donald Trump wants to build a new wall across the Mexican border. It looks like the EU will agree to build a border surrounding the EU to stop migration. Turkey is being asked to take migrants back and ships are being sent to stop the boats crossing to Greece. Australia deports migrants back to the country of origin straightaway or if not possible to offshore islands to be kept in refugee sites.

Migration will get worse because of climate conditions, water and food shortage. Even within western countries there is significant migration of citizens looking for work and affordable housing. In the US, there are apparently several million living life on the road, sleeping in hostels, cars, with the number of charity food outlets increasing all the time. I have seen documentaries showing American families sleeping in charity run hostels, community halls, receiving free meals.

Cameron picked a very bad time for a referendum, because quite a lot will vote purely based on migration and looking to close the borders. This probably will not happen, with borders staying fully open to EU citizens, as voting Brexit is unlikely to change things.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Trading bloc yes. That is what we were taken into, it is now our Government setting our laws, rules and regulations.

See, Hitler is still alive but he now wears nothing but Primark jackets and has had a breast implant.

Don't get the Hitler gag.

Apparently he had a micro penis, which might account for his bad temper.

Trading bloc yes.

The preamble "ever closer union" was already in the 1957 treaty of Rome. When Britain joined the EEC in 1973, the preamble was already there. When voters voted to stay in the EEC in 1975, they voted to agree with that preamble. No excuses can be taken.

The bigots who rant about a presumed dictatorship of the EU, are happy to clean for the queen, an unelected millionaire who is actually half German.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Don't get the Hitler gag.

Apparently he had a micro penis, which might account for his bad temper.

I forget the bit about changing his name to Mrs Merkel. You must get the Primark bit, have you ever seen her in anything else but those cheap nasty jackets, she even wore one to a formal dinner where all the ladies were dressed up to the nines and the men wore bow ties.

The preamble "ever closer union" was already in the 1957 treaty of Rome. When Britain joined the EEC in 1973, the preamble was already there. When voters voted to stay in the EEC in 1975, they voted to agree with that preamble. No excuses can be taken.

The bigots who rant about a presumed dictatorship of the EU, are happy to clean for the queen, an unelected millionaire who is actually half German.

Yes Ted Heath, Margaret Thatcher and all Prime Ministers since have understood the situation. The Tory party have been split on the EU mostly since Thatcher changed her mind in the late 1980's and encouraged what John Major called bast*rds. Then in opposition it just festered away with consituency parties and membership being mostly hostile to the EU. At every party conference, ministers had to sound Eurosceptic, even if they were in favour.

I am a republican who likes the Queen, but would prefer an elected President to follow.

The thing with 'migration' is there are two different aspects to it which seem to be avoided.

There are the illegal migrants, often referred to as refugees, which the UK does not have to take (in or out the EU) and actually - neither did the EU

Then there are the EU members which we do have to accept while we are in the EU, and which will grow, and if Turkey gets its way, will include them as soon as they can wangle it.

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

I forget the bit about changing his name to Mrs Merkel. You must get the Primark bit, have you ever seen her in anything else but those cheap nasty jackets, she even wore one to a formal dinner where all the ladies were dressed up to the nines and the men wore bow ties.

I have a thing for German women. Don't know what it is, but there are exceptions.

I think Farage is married to a German lady, who at one time was employed as his secretary using his EU MEP expenses. Kind of ironic ,

The thing with 'migration' is there are two different aspects to it which seem to be avoided.

There are the illegal migrants, often referred to as refugees, which the UK does not have to take in or out the EU, and actually - neither did the EU

Then there are the EU members which we do have to accept while we are in the EU, and which will grow, and if Turkey gets its way, will include them as soon as they can wangle it.

Too much opposition for Turkey to join.

Too much opposition for Turkey to join.

At the moment yes, and thank goodness for that, but that may change, and there are a number of other applicants.

The EU intends to grow.

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

I have a thing for German women. Don't know what it is, but there are exceptions.

I think Farage is married to a German lady, who at one time was employed as his secretary using his EU MEP expenses. Kind of ironic ,

My paternal grandfather married a German lady after his first wife died. She was a very nice person , sadly this caused a huge rift within the family and when he died, Nana Gita was made to feel so uncomfortable, she returned to her birth Country.

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My Dads family house was destroyed by a German flying bomb and it killed one of his brothers. My Dad had only just cycled away from the house. Then a few years later another brother died while working as an RAF pilot in an accident. Within about 5 years of the end of WW2, my Dad was stationed in Germany on military service, as the British Army was guarding the border with Russia and also to help rebuilding Germany. Keeping peace in Europe was one of the reasons the European project was started. Also it was strength in numbers against Russia during the cold war period.

Last nights newsnight is worth a watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b073hl11/newsnight-07032016

First part is on the migration crisis and Turkey negotiations

Although short, it says:

Turkey coast guard is not responding - leaving any Greek coast guard reports of ships until they are in Greek waters

EU chappie saying they dont see Turkey as being suitable for EU membership for at least 3-5 years, and that Turkey would need to change.

Same EU minister saying majority of migrants so far are young men

and not least it shows the immensely uplifting hospitality (as always) of the Greek people.

The Tory Legacy

Turkey already has a large number of migrants and of course it will be young men who migrate more.

If the UK had a large number of migrants wanting to leave the UK, do people think the UK would be trying to stop them leaving ?

Turkey already has a large number of migrants and of course it will be young men who migrate more.

If the UK had a large number of migrants wanting to leave the UK, do people think the UK would be trying to stop them leaving ?

I would hope so if they were being paid 3B euros and had agreed to do so, even if we did then say 'we want another 3B and some other stuff'

(The second part of that newsnight is a female Turkish MP on the censorship arrest and take over of Press and free speech issues in Turkey - aka what issues?)

The Tory Legacy

I would hope so if they were being paid 3B euros and had agreed to do so, even if we did then say 'we want another 3B and some other stuff'

(The second part of that newsnight is a female Turkish MP on the censorship arrest and take over of Press and free speech issues in Turkey - aka what issues?)

I think anyone applying western values to Turkey and expecting them to honour deals is living in cloud cuckoo land.

The simple fact is Turkey is a major instigator of the cause of the migration and continues to seek those same goals

Look at the latest EU deal with Turkey.

More money

- Understandable, but I think the EU should be giving all this money to Greece to manage the siuation on behalf of the EU. Greece would benefit from the cash influx and would be on board for EU goals. The refugees would also be near Syria for return at the end of the conflict. Genuine refugee applications could then be properly processed while also helping an EU country in need of economic support.

Syrian refugees taken from Turkey for each non Syrian/non refugee returned to Turkey

Well Turkey will be onboard for that so it could depopulate Syria of Syrians (making them an EU problem) making way for Turkish migration into Syria.

But who could define who is and is not Syrian?

What about Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Yemen, Afghanistan all of whom are in similar situations?

Let alone Balkan and Pakistani migrants?

The Tory Legacy

I think Greece had already shown they were not trustworthy with finances - so would they use any money provided to them for the benefit of the migrants, for the migrants ?

It was inevitable that Turkey would pretty much blackmail the EU into providing more cash or other benefits.

BCOBS

I think Greece had already shown they were not trustworthy with finances - so would they use any money provided to them for the benefit of the migrants, for the migrants ?

It was inevitable that Turkey would pretty much blackmail the EU into providing more cash or other benefits.

I think the government was not wise with money and the EU was undoubtedly complicit in the misrepresentation of Greece and others financial status.

This seems to me no different and far less than the UK government entrenched affair with the financial sector.

Whatever the case with that, I think that 6Billion euro would be far better and more appropriately used by Greece than Turkey,

as would the migrants/refugees themselves.

The Tory Legacy

Politicians politicking

apparently spain has chipped in with a 'threat' re gibralter. the more these politicking 'threats' come in, the more its an out vote.... :)

The preamble "ever closer union" was already in the 1957 treaty of Rome. When Britain joined the EEC in 1973, the preamble was already there.

When voters voted to stay in the EEC in 1975, they voted to agree with that preamble. No excuses can be taken.

The population of this country were not told in 1975 what the result of joining the Common Market (it was for trade) would be, they were lied to and kept in the dark. Just like the country is today by Cameron and his cronies.

An internal government memorandum said;

“I enclose a draft on sovereignty…We are rather worried about the impact on Parliamentary opinion…the fact of the primacy of community legislation cannot be disguised. But I feel that there is a case for omitting it altogether.”

A British Foreign Office paper is quite explicit;

“Community law is required to take precedence over domestic law: i.e. if a Community law conflicts with a statute, it is the statute which has to give way….the community system requires that such Community Law as applies directly as law in this country should by virtue of its own legal force as law in this country prevail over conflicting national legislation.”

(FCO 30/1048, National Archives)

So when, in the October 1974 General Election, Harold Wilson’s Labour Party manifesto included a pledge to renegotiate terms for Britain’s membership and then hold a referendum, (now were have I heard that before) the loss of sovereignty was an issue about which not merely the entire ‘yes’ campaign wanted to keep quit but also the Government itself. (we could be talking about this referendum)

Edited by Conniff
add - tidied up formatting - added quotes
  • Haha 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks