Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Yes owners of the debt can issue a UK court claim if you reside in the UK, subject to UK court procedures, so can defend the claim. 
    • So between 08/07/2015 to 11/06/2019, did you have an agreement with the landlord in respect of this address where the water bill is owed ?  If so, did the agreement with landlord say you were responsible for water & sewerage charges ? 
    • Hi guys, Sorry I'm  not quite following. Are you saying there is a chance I could be taken to court? Thanks Lou
    • I came back home on Monday and found this Claim form in my letter box. In the light of what I have explained earlier in regards to this debt claim, can anyone tell if I have any chance fighting it in th Court. SW in the last conversation request the proof of me living somewhere else, which I can't provide. They have info from the landlord of property being rented to me, I was there on electoral register, had bank account opened on this address, Driving licence had this address etc., but I wasn't living there.      Name of the Claimant -  Southern Water services   Date of issue – 12/06/2019     Particulars of Claim   The Claimant is statutory...etc The Claimant claims the sum £969 for unpaid water and or sewerage charges payable under s. 142-144 of the act and the Claimant Charges Scheme. The unpaid sum of £969 is for period 01/04/2014 - 08/07/2015. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year  from 08/07/2015 to 11/06/2019 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of the judgment or earlier payment at daily rate of £0.21   What is the total value of the claim? £1423   Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC ( Pre Action Protocol) ? yes Letter before Action   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  Yes, COA address.   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? No Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account?    No, water charges   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? Allegedly after - April 2012   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? No   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/ Equifax /Etc...) ? No, no anymore   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Southern Water - original creditor   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment?   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? No.   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? No   Why did you cease payments? Never. I wasn't aware of bills.   What was the date of your last payment? Never   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? Yes, creditor did not take my notice of bills being wrongly issued in my name.   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No  
    • If the case was brought before a UK civil court would UK rules apply or foreign rules?   I wonder if the original contract would strate what jurisdiction it's terms would be decided by?   I note that UK contracts frequently have a clause that says in so many words that any disputes  will be interpreted under UK law.
  • Our picks

    • Future Comms is a Big Con. How to get out of it. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/417058-future-comms-is-a-big-con-how-to-get-out-of-it/
        • Like
      • 4 replies
    • Future Comms issues. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416504-future-comms-issues/
      • 5 replies
    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.
      I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1218 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

We were flooded on 30 December last year along with most of our village.

The downstairs was destroyed and flooded with sewage.



A company called Chemdry came out and did some tests.

They told us there was raw sewage and hepatitis B and C contamination.

We sent our two teenagers to Perth to live with my brother as the house was not livable in.



C and L said to look for alternative accommodation,

we have a small holding so need to be close by to feed the animals

and also to kid out goats which are due now.



We found a caravan and sent the details - C and L said it was too much

then they told us the claim was on hold and was not to be progressed

until their investigators could look at it



we were visited by a very rude domineering individual called Euan Stewart.

Who suggested we could do most of the wok our self's.

He passed the claim back to CL who then put us in a hotel 15 miles away from home and the animals.

It's costing them £840 a week for accommodation and a further, approx, £340 a week for food.

We've been here for about 3 weeks now. All of us in one room.



I'm disabled and so is my son but this has been ignored.

I think because I have untreatable depression and my son is on the autistic spectrum.



We need to get out of the hotel but there are only two domestic let's with in 15 of our home both are unsuitable.

One is a very dark place.

The other is too small with only storage heating and the lowest heat rating.



We found a very close holiday let fully furnished and insulated.

This would also let us take our dogs, two terriers and a working sheepdog.



CL said they won't look at it as it's £1200 a month.

We don't know what to do now.

Our MP got involved but no luck.



Three other families in the village were all put in holiday let's in the village

all more expensive than the one we looked at.


Any help or real advice would be great full.

Can CL force us to take one of the domestic let's?

Can they 'evict' us from the hotel?

Can they refuse to keep paying the hotel bills?



I've never been in this situation before.

So any help will be great fully received.



Thanks. John

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to get Zurich involved in this situation, by contacting their head of claims. Your Insurance cover will cost of alternative accommodation up to a certain percentage of the sum insured. What the loss adjusters have to work out is how long you will need alternative accommodation and work out a budget. If the hotel is costing too much and there is a private rent alternative within reasonable distance of work, they will ask you to move.


You have to give Zurich full details of all of your circumstances and try to work out a way that is best for you, but meets with the financial budget of what your Insurance covers.


I seem to remember when Hull was flooded, Insurers did pay for Caravans to be provided near to peoples homes and work. But there was some criticism of people still being in caravans over a year after a flood and suffering in cold weather. So Zurich might not be keen on this option.


Sometimes these loss adjusters are not helpful as they are working on so many claims for different Insurers. If you want help, you are best dealing with Zurich.

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is quite ridiculous that they are refusing to pay £1200 a month for something that will cater for you all and reasonably comfortable yet are prepared to pay £840 a week for one room - How is that saving money ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **


Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first


1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -


2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read





2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS




Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
It is quite ridiculous that they are refusing to pay £1200 a month for something that will cater for you all and reasonably comfortable yet are prepared to pay £840 a week for one room - How is that saving money ?


The way it works is that the loss adjuster has to try to work what can be afforded based on the alternative accommodation amount available.


Because the amount is based on a percentage of the sum insured, it depends on sum insured. Other neighbours might insure their houses for more, so they have a bigger budget.


There is also the extent of the work that needs doing, which will vary from house to house. Given that it is winter, it will takes ages for the house to dry out and therefore some work will have to wait. They might face having to live somewhere else for say 8 months.


I suspect that because of the length of time estimated for repair, the loss adjuster is wanting a cheaper alternative which is reasonable within the budget available. Once the Insurers have paid out the max for alternative accommodation, the OP will have to move back in or pay for their own accommodation.


My sister had to move out for 7 months due to a burst pipe, but luckily there was a rented house around the corner which was within budget. In some areas lack of availability makes it very difficult.

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

They won't be paying 840 / week.


More likely negotiated to around 60 per day, take away the vat - 48 quid. After 28 days the price drops due to vat reduction for longstay.


There will be an agent taking 10 - 15 % commission also. This is extra income. No comm on a rental....

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...