Minor Speeding Tickets received months later!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am shocked to find I received 2 speeding tickets this morning (16-02-16).

1) Dated 02-10-15 doing 36 mph in a 30 mile road

2) Dated 11-12-15 doing 35 mph in a 30 mile road.

Since its 16 February 2016 the first ticket is over 4 months old. Obviously I have no recollection dating back that far.

The "speeds" are so minor over the limit and I would welcome any advice on whether it it possible to challenge these tickets fairly.

Amazingly the only memory I have of this particular road is being stuck in between lorries in traffic jams where a 10 min drive would take you up to an hour - seems rather strange and weird, unless a gap appeared and I moved???

On the letter its says pay £100 fine and then talks about a speeding course does it mean do one or the other or are you supposed to do both.

Never had a speeding ticket before so quite shocked.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

the speed over the limit is not 'minor'

prob a village or built up area on a major road.

so the limit is there for a reason. Schools p'haps or general public safety?

I believe its an either or offence

either take the points or do an awareness course ?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

the speed over the limit is not 'minor'

prob a village or built up area on a major road.

so the limit is there for a reason. Schools p'haps or general public safety?

I believe its an either or offence

either take the points or do an awareness course ?

Aren't tickets supposed to be issued within a certain time frame after the offence has occurred.

The police must serve an NIP within 14 days of the alleged speeding offence, but there are some circumstances in which the notice will still stand even if it's served later than this, for example:

if extra time is needed for the police to act with 'reasonable diligence' to find out who the registered keeper is and how to contact them; or

if the delay was the driver’s fault, for example because they have not told the DVLA of a recent change of address.

How long the police have to issue a speeding notice

The police must serve an NIP within 14 days of the alleged speeding offence, but there are some circumstances in which the notice will still stand even if it's served later than this, for example:

• if extra time is needed for the police to act with 'reasonable diligence' to find out who the registered keeper is and how to contact them; or
  • if the delay was the driver’s fault, for example because they have not told the DVLA of a recent change of address.

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/driving-advice/dealing-with-speeding-tickets/speeding-fines-your-rights/

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

prob also linked to the dvla not updating the address too

re this thread by the op

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?455380-Shock-traffic-Ticket-Enforcers-want-£500

and they

I am shocked to find I received 2 speeding tickets this morning (16-02-16).

1) Dated 02-10-15 doing 36 mph in a 30 mile road

2) Dated 11-12-15 doing 35 mph in a 30 mile road.

Since its 16 February 2016 the first ticket is over 4 months old. Obviously I have no recollection dating back that far.

The "speeds" are so minor over the limit and I would welcome any advice on whether it it possible to challenge these tickets fairly.

Amazingly the only memory I have of this particular road is being stuck in between lorries in traffic jams where a 10 min drive would take you up to an hour - seems rather strange and weird, unless a gap appeared and I moved???

On the letter its says pay £100 fine and then talks about a speeding course does it mean do one or the other or are you supposed to do both.

Never had a speeding ticket before so quite shocked.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

What proof is provided ?

You can opt to go to court to defend, if there is no reason for delayed notification and no proof is provided.

Remember that if you accept fine/points or driver awareness course to advise your Insurers. Check your policy about when they expect you to notify them. Don't leave it until renewal, forget about it and let the insurance auto renew.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

No proof is provided which I find quite strange, I thought they sent pictures out these days???

I thought they mostly took pictures these days, but it might just have been a hand held speed device. Some Police forces apparently allow private contractors to do this work. There is a Youtube video of someone trying to highlight this issue and the contractor called the Police.

Why the delay in notification ?

Was your address with DVLA out of date ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Some useful things to note:

1. If the vehicle is not registered to you personally because it is a company vehicle or you have car finance on the car, it is possible (likely) the notice was sent to the "Registered Keeper" within 14 days and so the 14 day defence would not apply to you.

2. If you are the registered keeper but you have failed to update the DVLA with the correct address for the vehicle, the 14 day defence will not apply.

3. You can only attend a speed awareness course once in any 3 year period and for one matter. (By far the more preferable option if you are eligible although it can be a dull 4 hours!)

4. There is no requirement for the police to disclose any evidence prior to proceedings being issued. Most constabularies will disclose photos but they are under no obligation to do so.

Edited by honeybee13
Removing invitation to get in touch.

the speed awareness course is discretionary and often only a number of courses offered in a particular time scale so even if you opted for that you can still get clobbered with the fine and points instead.

You can fight this but risk doubling the points and the fine can go up a lot.

Generally the letter will say that your vehicle was recorded as doing 35mph at a particular place and time so you will know if it is a fixed camera or other device.

Your constabulary will have a traffic technical bod who can look into why the delay and the other bits and they can be helpful or not, depending on how they view the world so it may be worth a phone call.

However, if you know more about these events than you are letting on you should consider whether it is worth the gamble or just take the hit and pay up