Jump to content

Clamping Fine. How do I appeal


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2051 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

My husband is on dialysis 3 times a week and was in hospital with a chest infection at the time. I

will be as succinct as I can.


Our old car gave up the ghost and had a Exemption Car Tax attached to it.


We bought a stop gap car which was a category 'C'.

The garage gave us 2 forms,

1 to obtain a log book and

1 to apply for car tax.



I switched the insurance from the old car but during all this my husband was ill ... panic to a certain degree.


I tried to find a website on the DVLA to explain the fact our Tax was exempt and it needed to be switched to the new car but of course I needed the replacement log book (this takes up to 5 days).


I paid the clamping fee of £260 and the woman on the end of the phone said I could try appealing

when she had listened to my story of why it was not taxed but told me to take it off the road,



I then considered renting a car but thought why don't I pay the £99 for 6 months car tax (would be cheaper).



I went to the post office and they did it all for me .... the application for the log book and the car tax was paid.


I think this was a bit of an unusual case where the Tax Exemption comes in....and the time frame.


Where do I appeal for the cost of the £260 ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mollie this is the website you were after;




Tax your vehicle online


Tax your car, motorcycle or other vehicle

using your reminder letter (V11).


If you don’t have a reminder letter, you can use:


a V5C registration certificate (log book) that’s in your name - get a replacement if you don’t have one


your new keeper supplement (V5C/2) if you’ve just bought the vehicle


your ‘last chance’ warning letter


Plus there are other ways to tax, Post office etc.


I also have exempt tax & when I bought my new car a year ago, I had to swap it from my old to the new.


I used the site above & once my details were entered, there was an option to input my Tax Exemption certificate number & once that was done, my car was taxed for the following year.


Do you know who clamped your car? What reason why was it clamped? (As I couldn't find this in your post).


Of you do know which Company it was, then I would write to them & ask them about appealing the £260 fee.


Good luck!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...