• Tweets

• it is NOT A FINE.....this is an extremely important point to understand no-one bar a magistrate in a magistrates criminal court can ever fine anyone for anything. Private Parking Tickets (speculative invoices) are NOT a criminal matter, merely a speculative contractual Civil matter hence they can only try a speculative monetary claim via the civil county court system (which is no more a legal powers matter than what any member of Joe Public can do). Until/unless they do raise a county court claim a CCJ and win, there are not ANY enforcement powers they can undertake other than using a DCA, whom are legally powerless and are not BAILIFFS. Penalty Charge Notices issued by local authorities etc were decriminalised years ago - meaning they no longer can progress a claim to the magistrates court to enforce, but go directly to legal enforcement via a real BAILIFF themselves. 10'000 of people waste £m's paying private parking companies because they think they are FINES...and the media do not help either. the more people read the above the less income this shark industry get. where your post said fine it now says charge .............. please fill out the Q&A ASAP. dx  
    • Well done on reading the other threads. If ECP haven't got the guts to do court then there is no reason to pay them. From other threads there is a 35-minute free stay after which you need to pay, with the signs hidden where no-one will read them.  Which probably explains why ECP threaten this & threaten that, but in the end daren't do court. As for your employer - well you can out yourself as the driver to ECP so the hamster bedding will arrive at yours.  Get your employer to do that using the e-mail address under Appeals and Transfer Of Liability.  
    • good you are getting there. Lloyds/TSb...i certainly would not be risking possible off-setting going on if a choice were there, but in all honestly thats obv too late now..., however..you might not never be in that situation so dont worry too much. regardless to being defaulted or not, if any debt that is not paid/used in 6yrs it becomes statute barred. you need to understand a couple of things like 'default' and 'default notice' a default is simply a recorded D in the calendar section/history of a debt, it does not really mean anything. might slightly hit your rating. the important thing here is a default notice , these are issued by the original creditor (OC) under the consumer credit act, it gives you 14 days to settle whatever they are asking, if you don't then they have the option to register a defaulted date on your credit file. that can make getting other credit more difficult. and hits your rating. once that happens, not matter what you do after that, paying it or not or not paid off or not, the whole account vanishes from your credit file on the DN's 6th b'day. though that might not necessarily mean the debt is not still owed - thats down to the SB date above. an OC very rarely does court and only the OWNER of a debt can instigate any court action (Attempted a CCJ) DCA's debt collection agencies - DCA's are NOT BAILIFFS they have ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter what it's TYPE. an OC make pass a debt to a dca as their client to try and spoof people into paying through legal ignorance of the above statement. an OC may SELL on an old debt to a DCA/debt buyer (approx 10p=£1) and then claim their losses through tax write off and their business insurance, wiping their hands of the debt. the DCA then becomes the debt OWNER. since the late 70's dca's pull all kinds of 'stunts' through threat-o-grams to spoof a debtor into paying them the full value of the debt, when they bought if for a discounted sum (typically 10p=£1). you never pay a dca a penny! if read carefully, NONE of their letters nor those of any other 'trading names' they spoof themselves under making it seem it's going up some kind of legitimate legal 'chain' say WILL anything....just carefully worded letters with all kinds of threats of what could/might/poss happen with other such words as instruct forward pass... well my dog does not sit when instructed too...so... DCA's SOMETIMES will issue a court claim, but in all honesty its simply a speculative claim hoping mugs wet themselves and cough up...oh im going to court... BIG DEAL DCA - show me the enforceable paperwork signed by me...9/10 they dont have it and if your defence is conducted properly, most run away from you . however before they do all that they now have to send a letter of claim, cause the courts got fed up with them issuing +750'000PA speculative claims and jamming up the legal system. so bottom line is two conclusions.... if you cant pay a debt, get a DN issued ASAP (stop paying it!) make sure it gets registered on your file then it stops hurting your file/future credit in 6yrs regardless to what happens (bar of course a later DCA CCJ - fat chance mind!)  once you've a registered DN , then look into restarting payments if the debt is still owed by the OC, if SOLD to a DCA, don't pay - see if they issue a letter of claim (then comeback here!).        
    • Any update here?  I ask as we have someone new being hassled for parking at this site.
    • Any update here?  I ask as we have someone new being hassled for parking at this site.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Fined for dropping a cigarette end on private property

BlankUser
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My son was walking through sainsburys car park smoking a roll up

and absently mindedly dropped it on the floor (he knows he's a very naughty boy etc)

then from no where pops up a woman in uniform armed with a camera

telling him he'd been filmed littering which is an offence and he is to be fined £60 to be paid within 11 days

or it goes up to £80 or court

Whilst I agree littering is bad.

..nothing worse then takeaway wrappers blowing all over the place

or having to tip toe through dog dirt in the park but I've never had in issue with cigarette butts..

..but yes..litter is litter & he did a naughty thing

...my issue is not with that, on reading the government guidelines for these 'litter enforcement officers'

it seems to state that a person should be given the opportunity to pick up their litter.

..but I suppose thats the up to the officer and on reading they get some kinda commission for their fines,

unlikely they'll be letting people off...

.so my other issue is the car park is private property shared with sainsburys, homebase, argos & McMucks.

..NOT council land..

.the gov website also states that they are not permitted to issue fines on private property,

even if used by the public without permission off the landowner.

I contacted sainsburys to enquire why they have allowed their customers to be

intimidated, humiliated by uniformed people claiming to be council workers

loitering outside their store entrance armed with CCTV filming their customers!! Disgusting:-x!!!

However, sainsburys HO don't seem too happy about it either

and they contacted my local store who have assured me that they had no idea of what was happening in their car park

and they are looking into it for me.

...now I'm wondering if this fine inflicted on my son (a student and forever skint) will stick

...of course i want to get him out of paying it.

..I have done the online appeal thing to raise my concerns with the council on his behalf.

..has anyone had success arguing the toss about fines on private land???

Thanks

If the car park is on private land then you just need to point this out to them.

If they want to pursue this in court it won't go down to well with the judge when it's mentioned that they're milking the cows (us) on private land for littering.

Make sure you get something in writing from Sainsbury which confirms that the car park is on private land.

Littering is a criminal offence. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/43/section/87

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he throws down, drops or otherwise deposits any litter in any place to which this section applies and leaves it.

(2) This section applies to any place in the area of a principal litter authority which is open to the air

Although the car park is not owned by the council, it is still a public area open to the air, so it seems to me that the legislation does give the council the right to issue a fine in that car park.

£60 does seem a bit harsh for dropping a rollie, but I don't think you can really complain as your son was littering. Someone has to pick it up.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

are you sure it def was the council?

thus you could get on the website and complain

if it wasn't you wouldn't be able too?

bit stupid of the coubcil to make such a simple error on jurisdiction of their litter patrol...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

cheers for the replys...according to the gov website they can't fine people on private land with out permission

Issuing FPNs on private land

You must have permission from the landowner or occupier before you enter private land to issue FPNs.

This applies to privately owned land which the public can access.

The only exception is for waste collection authorities investigating fly-tipping. They can enter private land without permission.

(I can't seem to post the direct link!?!)

dx yeh I'm sure, I did the appeal via the council form on their website today, tho it is a private company (kingdom ltd, I gather) who do it on behalf of the council....much of this feels like scaring people into paying ott fines much like the parking fines

Littering is a criminal offence. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/43/section/87:

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he throws down, drops or otherwise deposits any litter in any place to which this section applies and leaves it.

(2) This section applies to any place in the area of a principal litter authority which is open to the air

Although the car park is not owned by the council, it is still a public area open to the air, so it seems to me that the legislation does give the council the right to issue a fine in that car park.

£60 does seem a bit harsh for dropping a rollie, but I don't think you can really complain as your son was littering. Someone has to pick it up.

It doesn't apply, otherwise I would be fined for throwing a cigarette butt in my front garden, open to anyone who wishes to come in (no gates or fence) and open to the air.

Also the council would not be responsible for cleaning a private piece of land, so no loss to them.

The ceo was just trying to maximase his commissions

I think it's very poor they have started to loiter outside of supermarkets.

.often I just chuck my till receipt on top of my shopping trolly which sometimes gets swept away with the wind when i exit the store..

..this I assume would be an offence,

it seems to me that these 'companies' working on behalf of local councils have simply found a good source of revenue.

..personally the way I'm feeling is that the uniformed lady is the one that has committed the offence here,

loitering with intent to extort money, harassment...erm..

..I'm sure I can think of some other things.

..oh and claiming authority on land that is not in there jurisdiction

...can I fine them??...haha

So the regulations aren't that they cannot issue a FPN on private land, only that they require permission of the land owner. Perhaps they have this? From the sounds of it Sainsburys aren't the land owner, they are merely tenants so they may not necessarily know that the land owner/landlord has given permission for people littering to be fined on their land.

£60 may seem harsh but littering, especially people just throwing cigarette butts on the ground, is a major problem and the only way to drill the message into people to stop doing it is with harsh penalties.

Guest roaringmouse

Whatever the outcome, I am sure he won't do it again!

You need to establish who the landowner is. Do not assume, find out. Then you need to establish in writing if they gave the LA permission to patrol their private property. If they did he is bang to rights. If they did not, he has a legitimate defense.

All this is on the assumption that the 'fine' was issued by an official from the LA and not some wannabe car clamping muppet.

The legislation I linked to before says 'This section applies to any place in the area of a principal litter authority which is open to the air ... This section does not apply to a place which is “open to the air” for the purposes of this Part ... if the public does not have access to it, with or without payment.'

The gov.uk guidance says 'It’s an offence to drop litter on land that’s accessible to the public, even if it’s private'.

My reading of all this is that the council can fine you for littering in an open area that is open to the public. So it looks to me like the council are allowed to fine you for littering in a privately-owned car park which is open to the public. The council couldn't fine you for littering in your garden because that is not a public place. I could be wrong though.

Blankuser, please do let us know how you get on with appealing to the council. It will be interesting to hear what they say, and helpful for people who face the same problem in future.

Hi thanks for your comments, I will certainly let you know how it goes, I'm not hopeful to be honest but we'll see. The issue I have is it could be argued that there's a lack of bins..but as it's a supermarket carpark then it's not the councils responsibility to make sure bins are in place so how can they issue fines in all fairness, also they should give people the opportunity to correct their error knowing that the humiliation of being stopped in public is lesson enough :|

I get the impression, from reading online that smokers are targeted, I'd even go as far as saying smokers are 'stalked' by these people which is wrong. If I spot one in a supermarket car park again I will go into the store and complain the the manager that their customers are being harassed...which then I assume/hope will lead to the jobsworth being asked to move on (which I might film on my phone...not to post online just to dish out the same treatment :drama:. )

As for who owns the land (if it isn't sainsburys) I'm finding hard to find out,,,,but I do feel there's a moral issue here...whilst litter is bad and I can't justify that at all, stalking and fining without warning is just not on in my opinion

The legislation I linked to before says 'This section applies to any place in the area of a principal litter authority which is open to the air ... This section does not apply to a place which is “open to the air” for the purposes of this Part ... if the public does not have access to it, with or without payment.'

The gov.uk guidance says 'It’s an offence to drop litter on land that’s accessible to the public, even if it’s private'.

My reading of all this is that the council can fine you for littering in an open area that is open to the public. So it looks to me like the council are allowed to fine you for littering in a privately-owned car park which is open to the public. The council couldn't fine you for littering in your garden because that is not a public place. I could be wrong though.

Blankuser, please do let us know how you get on with appealing to the council. It will be interesting to hear what they say, and helpful for people who face the same problem in future.

My garden is open to the public.

There's no fence or gates, anyone can come in as they wish, but it's still private land.

I shall be careful next time I cut some wood in the front garden and leave bits and pieces lying around 😁

No, sorry.

LA cannot issue pcn on private land unless authorised by the land owner (see post #6).

After all, as said, they do not clean the private area so no loss to them.

Hi thanks for your comments, I will certainly let you know how it goes, I'm not hopeful to be honest but we'll see. The issue I have is it could be argued that there's a lack of bins..but as it's a supermarket carpark then it's not the councils responsibility to make sure bins are in place so how can they issue fines in all fairness, also they should give people the opportunity to correct their error knowing that the humiliation of being stopped in public is lesson enough :|

I get the impression, from reading online that smokers are targeted, I'd even go as far as saying smokers are 'stalked' by these people which is wrong. If I spot one in a supermarket car park again I will go into the store and complain the the manager that their customers are being harassed...which then I assume/hope will lead to the jobsworth being asked to move on (which I might film on my phone...not to post online just to dish out the same treatment :drama:. )

As for who owns the land (if it isn't sainsburys) I'm finding hard to find out,,,,but I do feel there's a moral issue here...whilst litter is bad and I can't justify that at all, stalking and fining without warning is just not on in my opinion

I don't see how "There's a lack of bins" can be an argument at all. If there's nowhere to dispose of a cigarette butt, don't smoke there. A cigarette butt should never be thrown into a normal bin anyway as it poses a fire risk.

And I don't really see how you can say "fining without warning". It's the law, the fact that the law exists is the warning.

I don't see how "There's a lack of bins" can be an argument at all. If there's nowhere to dispose of a cigarette butt, don't smoke there.

And I don't really see how you can say "fining without warning". It's the law, the fact that the law exists is the warning.

Can you quote the law regarding littering on private property as that is what CAG is all about?

I don't see how "There's a lack of bins" can be an argument at all. If there's nowhere to dispose of a cigarette butt, don't smoke there. A cigarette butt should never be thrown into a normal bin anyway as it poses a fire risk.

If thats the case then there should be 'no smoking' signs on display,

smokers are demonised from all angles (and no, I am not a smoker, I did used to be).

..the act of smoking in public is not yet illegal,,,although it's not just smoking,

I found a article online where someone in wales got hit with the fine for some lettuce falling from her McD's wrap

(no idea of the outcome)

also a cleaner of a pub who, after discovering the pub had been broken into

smoked a cigarette in the pub car park whilst waiting for the police to arrive

only to have a litter enforcement person jump out on her when she discarded her cigarette

(again this was on private property/land and she had the support of the landlord...again outcome unknown) .

..if you're fine with the idea of people going around videoing joe public

in the hope to extort money out of them for losing their grip of a till receipt,

dropping a bus ticket..whatever, then thats your choice,

however I'm personally pretty uncomfortable with it.

..does the money go into council funds?.

..no...it's a private firm called Kingdom Ltd who have done a deal with the council

and pay them a percent, also I read that these patrol wardens are on commission

Can you quote the law regarding littering on private property as that is what CAG is all about?

The one that king linked to earlier,

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/43/section/87

It makes no provision/exception for private land, merely that the land is accessible by the public. The only exception it makes is if the land is not accessible by the public.

If thats the case then there should be 'no smoking' signs on display,

By that logic we should have "No murdering" signs on display everywhere and all houses should have a "No breaking and entering" sign on them.

By that logic we should have "No murdering" signs on display everywhere and all houses should have a "No breaking and entering" sign on them.

Murder is illegal and the legality of murder is common knowledge....however, smoking tobacco is NOT illegal...you dafty :razz:

Murder is illegal and the legality of murder is common knowledge....however, smoking tobacco is NOT illegal...you dafty :razz:

No, but littering is illegal, that's the point. Dropping a cigarette butt on the ground = littering, that's why the fine was for littering, not smoking.

No, but littering is illegal, that's the point. Dropping a cigarette butt on the ground = littering, that's why the fine was for littering, not smoking.

That link clearly indicates that it is not an offence to drop a cigarette butt on the ground in a supermarket car park unless the woner has emphatically stated no littering. I am not condoning littering, but the law needs to be applied correctly.

That link clearly indicates that it is not an offence to drop a cigarette butt on the ground in a supermarket car park unless the woner has emphatically stated no littering. I am not condoning littering, but the law needs to be applied correctly.

Which section are you referring to specifically? I can't see anything that would state it isn't an offence to drop a cigarette butt on the ground in a supermarket car park unless the owner has stated no littering on signage.

My garden is open to the public

LA cannot issue pcn on private land unless authorised by the land owner (see post #6).

After all, as said, they do not clean the private area so no loss to them.

I don't think your garden could reasonably be said to be 'open to the public'.

The same concept has been used for a number of years in the smoking ban legislation. The smoking ban affects private premises like pubs, and can be enforced by local authorities issuing fines, and smoking remains banned even if the landlord wants to allow it.

The Health Act 2006 applies the ban as follows: 'Premises are smoke-free if they are open to the public' ... 'Premises are “open to the public” if the public or a section of the public has access to them, whether by invitation or not, and whether on payment or not'. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/28/section/2. There are some grey areas as to what exactly constitutes 'premises open to the public' but it is usually obvious.

And my point re lack of bins was to say that the council will not take responsibility for providing bins on private land so how can they issue fines on private land?

I fully appreciate what you are saying and I agree the fine sounds a bit excessive for what your son did. I am just explaining what I think the legislation says after reading it - have a look at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/43/section/87, the first three paragraphs, as these are what your son would have been cited for.

I suppose the justification for passing this legislation would have been that you should take litter home with you rather than dropping it on the floor for someone else to pick up (or to blow into a river or garden).

Any idea of how the law stands on stalking and covert filming??? does that not fall foul of human rights/civil liberties?

Covert filming is legal, but there are a number of different laws which would prevent it from being used in an excessive way. For example -

- there are laws against harassment which would stop surveillance that crosses the line from annoyance into harassment

- the Human Rights Act places a duty on public authorities to avoid interfering people's private lines where necessary to do this (this only applies to public authorities like the council and not to individuals)

- where the surveillance concerns an identifiable individual, the recording will be 'personal data' subject to the Data Protection Act. There is an exemption from the DPA where the recording is necessary for functions of a public nature (I imagine litter control would fall into that box).

The Health Act 2006 applies the ban as follows: 'Premises are smoke-free if they are open to the public' ... 'Premises are “open to the public” if the public or a section of the public has access to them, whether by invitation or not, and whether on payment or not'

Therefore my front garden is open to the public and littering there constitutes an offence.

Straight forward but wrong.

LA cannot issue pcn on private land without landlord permission.

The truth is that the bloodsuckers are from Kingdom Uk, not LA.