Which benefits can be lawfully attached to to recoup Council Tax debt and magistrates fines?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I read this yesterday and was waiting to get some information sent to me before responding further.

Once a Liability Order has been issued, the local authority can apply to the Department for Work and Pension to make deductions from source from only the following benefits:

Job Seekers Allowance

Income Support

Employment Support Allowance

Pension Credit Guaranteed Credit

jJust to remind everyone and MM in particular that the above is what is relavant to AOEs and this is in the hands of the DWP, not the LA

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

This seems to answer most of the questions

https://www.canterbury.gov.uk/council-tax/arrears-and-debt-recovery/attachment-of-earnings-and-benefits/

Attachment of benefits

We ask the Department for Work and Pensions to send part of your Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance directly to the council.

The amount deducted is £3.40 a week for Income Support and Jobseeker's Allowance.

For Employment and Support Allowance the amount to be deducted will be:

Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (unless there would otherwise be an entitlement to income-based Employment and Support Allowance) is one third of your Allowance.

Income-based Employment and Support Allowance is 5% of your allowance.

Deductions continue until the amount on the liability order is fully paid, or until your benefit stops for any reason.

It is not possible to make direct deductions from any other kind of benefit.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I have a strong feeling that universal credit is also attachable.

There is some confusion here-Only one AOB may be implemented at any given time.

The deductions made from income related benefits (JSA, income support, ESA, Pension Credit etc) is at 5% (Regulation 7 of the Council Tax (Deductions From Income Support) Regulations 1993)

LA's know who are receiving benefits because the responsibility for issuing CTB is with the authority. Anyone claiming one of the above income related benefits would automatically qualify for CTB also

Thanks but no confusion we have already covered this :)

Thanks but no confusion we have already covered this :)

You didn't cover anything. The other individual read my post elsewhere and changed her stance.

There was still confusion-My post rectified this. If I had longer, I'd correct more historic threads but we'll probably have to let them go now.

Yes please let it go, enough confusion on her without more incorrect data.