new Universal Credit claim

mattcanary
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was dismissed from work for poor performance (the work just wasn't suitable for me and no gross misconduct issues) on Thursday 4 February. I was in a coldcalling role and just was not getting anywhere near enough sales to be kept on at the end of my probation period. Company are happy to give me a reference and said that I am a lovely person when giving me the news. Last day at work was Tuesday (9 February). Only paid up to this date (although I think I will be getting two days backdated holiday paid in lieu).

Now probably need to claim Universal Credit (as a single person with no children in a Universal Credit area).

Tried applying online but wasn't able to proceed as I do not receive my final pay until 26 February.

This seems to me to be grossly unfair. It seems to mean that in effect I am not paid anything for three weeks of unemployment(10 Feb - 4 March) as there is a 7 day period after which you put in a claim for which you won't get paid. On the other hand, if my last day at work was the 26 February I would have just seven day without any pay. Of course, I hope I find work soon but in the event that I don't, this seems so unjust. I would add that I have found it hard to find suitable work in the past and to hold down a job.

Now bear in mind, that Universal Credit includes the rent payment as well as a payment for general living expenses. How can this be right? Under Jobseekers Allowance you could start claiming from yesterday (albeit not getting any pay for the first seven days of unemployment).

I feel like filling out the online form and saying that I am due no more pay from my former employers. Would the DWP find out the real situation? What would then happen and perhaps I could appeal against this - even to the courts if necessary?

I should add that I do have mild Aspergers Syndrome and have periodically suffered from anxiety. Indeed, I have been taking medication for this (one 20mg Citalopram a day currently) for the last year or so. Perhaps I should claim Employment Support Allowance instead? (it is not covered by Universal Credit in my area). I ws claiming Employment Support Allowance up until last June and this issue is not heling my anxiety at all.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by mattcanary

Which group were you in on ESA when you previously claimed? WRAG or support? If you are making a fresh claim you can only claim for the same condition as you were claiming for previously if it has got worse. If you are claiming for another condition you can still mention the other conditions on your ESA 50 . Universal Credit is designed to save money by short selling claimants of benefits at the beginning or end of a claim

Which group were you in on ESA when you previously claimed? WRAG or support? If you are making a fresh claim you can only claim for the same condition as you were claiming for previously if it has got worse. If you are claiming for another condition you can still mention the other conditions on your ESA 50 . Universal Credit is designed to save money by short selling claimants of benefits at the beginning or end of a claim

That doesn't apply to the OP because he got a job, rather than got found fit for work. And he stopped claiming ESA over 6 months ago.

I've decided to apply for ESA. Waiting for a fit note from my GP.

None of these links contain anything about having to wait to put in a claim if you are still due your final pay from your previous employer in a few weeks time. This negative rule should really be publicised more by advice organisations. It really can be critical for some people.

I've decided to apply for ESA. Waiting for a fit note from my GP.

None of these links contain anything about having to wait to put in a claim if you are still due your final pay from your previous employer in a few weeks time. This negative rule should really be publicised more by advice organisations. It really can be critical for some people.

The rule is publicised by the government's own site. There is a long list of eligibility criteria under the following headings, including the one you are enquiring about:

Universal Credit frequently asked questions:

Q. Who will be able to claim Universal Credit?

To be eligible to claim Universal Credit (as opposed to existing benefits), you must:

"........not expect to receive individual take home pay of more than £330 in the next month - from 6 April 2015 this amount will increase to £338."

I took it for granted that you had already actually checked the government's own site and that's why I provided links to the two advice organisations, who, directly or indirectly, link to the information you seek.

Now this particular advice organisation, CAG, has given it it's moment of fame, or infamy, by momentarily giving it pride of place.

I agree with you about the 'negativity' of this rule but it is no more so than the whole welfare policy of this government.

I suppose another way around the rule to minimise the effects of it would be to apply for Housing Benefit alone to start the Monday after you lose your job and then put in the claim for Universal Credit on the day that you get your final pay in your bank account.

OP, if you do end up applying for Universal Credit you can expect to wait longer than a week for your first payment :( You will get a letter once you have completed your application telling you the exact date of your first payment.

Sorry to scare you but when I got that introductory letter it told me it would be 7 weeks.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/waiting-universal-credit-unbelievably-terrifying-7331079 might be worthwhile reading for anyone on the thread?

Claimants can request an advance but it is discretionary as to whether or not it is awarded.

Maybe if they get more bad press they will change this rule but it seems like they will not budge.

This article still doesn't mention the clause about having to wait until getting your last pay packet from work before you can apply for Universal Credit though (and then waiting for another 6-7 weeks for your first UC payment).