BankFodder BankFodder

Guest roaringmouse

SORN - Damned if you do, damned if you don't

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1475 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Guest roaringmouse

Here is the situation. I purchased a used car on 15 December 2015 to replace my existing one. I wanted to keep my existing car on the road until sold so I could show people all all worked and drove perfectly - I drive automatic as I am disabled.

So, I had the dealer deliver it to my driveway. Now, you cannot declare sorn as such unless you are the registered keeper as although I was at that point the new owner, I would not be registered as keeper until DVLA received and processed the V5c from the dealer. Well you can if you use form V890.

So, even though it would be just a week or two until I sold my existing car and my new car was on my driveway the entire time, I duly sent in form V890 with a covering letter and that was that.

I sold my old car on 28 December evening, so on the following day changed the insurance over to the new car and taxed it (disabled) at the post office, keeping the receipt of course.

That was that and I thought nothing more of it. Except the car turned out to be a little small for my needs, so I bought another car last week and the (policeman) seller very kindly drove it to my home and parked it on my driveway. I intended to do exactly the same thing.

With me so far? Good. Here is where it all goes tits up!

Someone rang about my existing car for sale and asked why it is off the road. I asked what he meant and he said it is on SORN. I said no, it is taxed. He thought I was being a clever-cloggs and put the phone down. Bemused, I looked on the GOV website and found indeed it was on SORN. I had been driving around in it since the end of December!!!

I rang DVLA and here is what they told me:

Yes, it is on SORN. You asked us to put it on SORN.

Correct. I did that on 15 December when I bought the car. I then taxed it on 29 December and have been using it ever since.

We processed the SORN at some time in January.

So, although I had done everything possible to stay within the law, DVLA technically put me outside the law.

FORTUNATELY, I was not stopped and haven't received any notices of driving un-taxed. The woman at DVLA said it could take 4-6 weeks to sort out, but on checking today I see it has been rectified to correctly show current tax expires in December.

SO people. Be very wary of this SORN business if you buy a car. If you don't SORN it you are in trouble. And if you do sorn it, then tax it, I suggest assume the tax will be cancelled and you will ultimately receive a refund, by which point you have technically been driving around un-taxed!

KEEP a copy of the V890 and the receipt when you do tax it. At least if you get stopped, the police SHOULD realize you are one of the good ones. But don't count on it.

Situation resolved, but only by chance. Had I not been selling, it was just a matter of time before I got stopped or a fine.'No is is taxed officer' is not going to be believed as the computer says no.

:-x

Confused... can a car be SORN'd AND taxed at the same time? TB:|

Guest roaringmouse

No it can't. It can only be one or the other. When you buy (since October 2014) it needs to be taxed or SORN'd immediately. But only the registered keepr (old owner until you become registered) can do that online. So, your only options are to tax it now or fill in V890 and send it off. BUT as mentioned, by the time DVLA get their sorry act together you will probably have taxed it if you are doing what I am. So you tax it, and when they finally process your SORN application they UNTAX it for you!

The DVLA is well known for being the most disorganised and shabbily run of all the government departments.

Unless mail is sent recorded they invariably deny ever receiving it, they must be the best customer of the shredder companies ever.