Item bought from USA - Fedex now asking for payment without prior warning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2988 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought an item from a company in the USA. It arrived safely by Fedex.

A while later, I received an invoice from Fedex asking for payment of VAT and a handling charge, £26.29 in total.

The following is the relevant paragraph from my second and last email to them. I have now received a demand for payment from Control Account PLC.

"If Fedex had made it known to me before I agreed to purchase I would have been able to make a choice. As it is Fedex is trying to make a retrospective charge against me. According to my understanding English law does not allow retrospective charges to be imposed."

Is my understanding correct or do Fedex have a legitimate claim against me?

Thanks in advance.

I can't imagine that you are obliged to pay this.

If I were you, – and merely out of curiosity – I would like to FedEx and asked them on what basis they believe that you owe them the money

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Short answer: Yes.

Purchases from overseas (outside of the E.U.) incur import duties and VAT on the cost of the goods inclusive of shipping charges. For small quantities of items, the carrier will present the package to HM Customs and Excise who will determine the level of duties and VAT. The carrier will then pay this on your behalf and then add a handling fee on top unless you have already made alternative arrangements.

If you have made this purchase through Ebay or similar online trading site, it will state that the Buyer is responsible for import duties and fees.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

the goods are for your private use or for re-sale

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?

commercial consignments ie goods you have purchased, of £15 or less are free from Customs Duty and import VAT.

Note:

This does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters;

these items are excluded from the relief of duty and VAT at import.

In addition, commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands

do not benefit from any relief of import VAT

if you are sent a gift with a value of £34 or less,

which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4,

it will be free from Customs Duty and import VAT.

Gifts of alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters are subject to the limits shown in paragraph 2.5,

while gifts of perfumes and toilet waters are subject to the limits in paragraph 2.6

Customs Duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135

but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £7.

In summary:

Goods Value* Customs Charges applicable

£0.01 to £15 - No customs duty

- No Import VAT**

£15.01 to £135 - No customs duty

- Import VAT due

£135.01 and greater - Customs duty due, but waived if the amount calculated due is less than £7

- Import VAT due

*Excludes the following goods: alcohol; tobacco products; perfumes and toilet waters. These items do not benefit from the relief of customs duty or VAT at import, and alcohol and tobacco products will also be liable to Excise Duty. **Commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from relief of import VAT.

There are a number of other circumstances where relief from some or all customs charges may be available. If you think your goods may be eligible for a relief you can contact the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) Customs, International Trade and Excise enquiries service on Telephone: 0300 200 3700 for further information.

Further ways to contact HMRC for general advice and information on imports can be found on the GOV.UK website.

2.4 Gifts

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Short answer: Yes.

Purchases from overseas (outside of the E.U.) incur import duties and VAT on the cost of the goods inclusive of shipping charges. For small quantities of items, the carrier will present the package to HM Customs and Excise who will determine the level of duties and VAT. The carrier will then pay this on your behalf and then add a handling fee on top unless you have already made alternative arrangements.

If you have made this purchase through Ebay or similar online trading site, it will state that the Buyer is responsible for import duties and fees.

really! And under what agreed contract between the courier and buyer is that?

The VAT would be due one way or the other. You can possibly argue against the handling fee, I was able to get it waived by Fedex so that I only had to pay the VAT, but reading between the lines of their response I got the impression it was a one time deal and that since I was now aware of the handling fees they would be due next time.

The VAT would be due one way or the other. You can possibly argue against the handling fee, I was able to get it waived by Fedex so that I only had to pay the VAT, but reading between the lines of their response I got the impression it was a one time deal and that since I was now aware of the handling fees they would be due next time.

Cusoms charges are payable but handling fee is unenforceable. TB