style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have today received a letter from my letting agent after an routine inspection that was carried out last week.

In this letter it states I am in breach of the tenancy agreement as there is mould on the bedroom ceiling. The letter states that notice to quit the property will be sent in another letter.

Now my issue with this is that I only noticed it two days before the inspection. Its in a corner of the bedroom ceiling I can't get to and as I only use lamps in my room then that corner is always in shadows as there is a chest of drawers on that wall.

When I informed the man who was carrying out the inspection I said it must be pretty new and explained that I kept my bedroom well aired. The window is open first thing in the morning to let the stale air out. I pointed put that the property next to mine and the one next to that are both empty. The property next to mine has been empty for 12 months this month, its a housing association property so I have no idea what could be going on inside that property.

He even agreed with me that it is more than likely down to the fact that the property next door is empty and freezing cold, he even said that something could be wrong with the house and having a knock on effect with mine. It seems though this is not what he has put in his report to the letting agent.

I just wondered how I should proceed with this, I don't have the money to find somewhere new to live and as I am signed off with depression and anxiety then all this is making it worse. I feel I am being punished for something that is not my fault as I keep my house warm and also ventilated.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

So they are wanting to end your Tenancy over a patch of mould?

Wow that's a first for me! In my opinion that's a bit OTT indeed.

What breach is it they state you have broken?

Is there anything in your Tenancy agreement re mould? (I'm also PR & mine just states that I've to maintain the property & garden to a good standard)

How long is your Tenancy agreement?

How much time is left on it?

I would in the first instance check your TA & then either write or call the LA & ask them exactly what it is you have done & how can you remedy it.

Do explain as you have here re the empty properties next door.

Now are you able to get the mould cleaned up & ask the LA to come check again?

I do hope you are able to get this situation sorted out with the least amount of stress on yourself.

Take care & good luck!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

So they are wanting to end your Tenancy over a patch of mould?

Wow that's a first for me! In my opinion that's a bit OTT indeed.

What breach is it they state you have broken?

Is there anything in your Tenancy agreement re mould? (I'm also PR & mine just states that I've to maintain the property & garden to a good standard)

How long is your Tenancy agreement?

How much time is left on it?

I would in the first instance check your TA & then either write or call the LA & ask them exactly what it is you have done & how can you remedy it.

Do explain as you have here re the empty properties next door.

Now are you able to get the mould cleaned up & ask the LA to come check again?

I do hope you are able to get this situation sorted out with the least amount of stress on yourself.

Take care & good luck!

I can't clear the mould as I live in an old house with old ceilings plus I can't move the chest of drawers to even get into the corner if I could get up to the ceiling. I live alone so no one to help me either.

I am not under a current fixed tenancy agreement, it went to rolling nearly 2 years ago.

The breach has not been stated in detail just there is a breach.

I have spoken to them and they are not interested in the empty properties stating the problem is mine. The only fix is they will get someone in to deal with the mould issue and I will be charged for it, I was told to expect a bill of around £250.

It was made clear though that even if I did this I would still be evicted in two months time as they have said I am a bad tenant.

Thanks

mould is landlords problem unless they can show that delapidation is somehow your fault. The state of the rest of the property will knock that on the head so it is really about the LL just wanting to kick you out.

they can sue the owner of next door if it really is down to that being empty but getting you to cough up £250 to put right his problem is greedya dn wrong-betterment possibly but unlikely to be anything on a tenancy agreement. Read yours and decide what you want to do.

Spray it with mould and mildew remover. You might find it vanishes without needing any rubbing - i.e. you might be able to spray it from a distance.

Unfortunately, there is little you can do if they are using the Section 21 procedure.

Is your deposit protected, and was there an inventory taken. Take photos of the mould. £250 sounds ridiculous - I once had to deal with 3 square metres of thick black mould caused by a chap who had 3 showers a day, dried his towel on the radiator and never opened the windows or doors. Took about an hour.

Guest roaringmouse

Turn this onto them. Give them 7 days to rectify the mould problem caused by the cold empty house next door and lack of insulation or you will bring in environmental health.

£250 to clean mould is an absolute disgrace indeed, your LA are trying it on!!

So going by your reply, you stated;

It was made clear though that even if I did this I would still be evicted in two months time as they have said I am a bad tenant.

So it sounds to me like your LA are wanting to evict you either way & were using the "mould" as an excuse.

Is there any other reason as to why your LA thinks you're a bad tenant? (I think this is unfair of your LA to call you one if it's regarding the mould).

As you are no longer under an AST, you are indeed on a Rolling Contract. This means the LA can issue you with a Section 21 eviction notice (without resorting to silly mould claims) & this has to give you 2 clear calander months notice to leave by.

If you are having issues with your LA then do please contact your local Councils Housing Team for advice & support.

Lastly as Steve_M mentioned, is your deposit protected? Did you receive the paperwork to show who it's with etc?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!