BankFodder BankFodder

Welsh_Boy

Employer forcing employee to take holiday

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1476 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Wonder if you can help. My daughter works in a restaurant and has four days holiday entitlement left for this year, until it renews in March. Her employer has asked her to take two days annual leave during half term, purely so that he can pull in a part time member of staff so they can have extra hours.....

Now I understand that the employer can determine when to take holiday for shift patterns, company shutdowns etc, but to drop her in favour of another member of staff?

Advice sought ;)

totally legal

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

They do this in our company.

If you have leave left at the beginning of January, they allocate it to be taken before the end of February because they start a new cycle in March.

I make sure that I allocate all my leave early in the year so I don't have to take a dead week in February at their will.

purely so that he can pull in a part time member of staff so they can have extra hours.....

What makes you think that ??

She hasn't been dropped - she's getting two paid days off at home. It's legal, assuming they gave her four days notice.

What makes you think that ??

Why do I think that it's in favour of a part time member of staff? Because he told her straight. She has to take two days off so another member of staff can work it

Why do I think that it's in favour of a part time member of staff? Because he told her straight. She has to take two days off so another member of staff can work it

The facts appear to be that the holiday is owed and must be taken before the end of February. If the holiday had not been booked for a time convenient to the employee it can be allocated by the employer, who has the absolute right to determine when holiday can and can't be taken. The employer seems to be doing that and has asked for the time to be taken when he has cover available and willing.

As stated (and based on the information provided) this is perfectly lawful and is fairly common practice. If your daughter wants specific dates for holiday then it is advisable to book the time off well ahead.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

why would your daughter want to work 4 days of the year for free? That is what she would be doing by not taking the holiday. If she has other plans to use the remaining time then she should tell her boss that she intends to take the holiday on the xx-xy of Feb

Keep in mind that if you don't take your holiday during the holiday year, you lose entitlement to it.

As what sidewinder said

switch around what you said.

the part time staff member has to work 2 days so she can have her statutory holiday entitlement.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Get your daughter to book four days off later in February and await a response.

Guest topcat14

"Keep in mind that if you don't take your holidayicon during the holiday year, you lose entitlement to

This statement depends on if the holiday is Statutory or Contractual over and above Statutory, may well be incorrect.

The law states that you must have the equivilant of 5.6 x your normal working week, that is 28 days for a full time worker. 20 days of which are mandatory, with the other the 8 negotiable but highly recommended that they are used in the correct holiday year.

So if you are a full time worker and not had 20 days holiday in your holiday year, that breaks the Working Time Directive and you should ask for it as a STATUTORY right.