Smart Parking - parking notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2987 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Just wondered if any could offer me some advice!

Ive received a parking notice ( I won't say fine ) from Smart parking after overstaying about half an hour in Asda car park in Llandudno.

Im aware the 'ignore' option is not the way deal with it these days,

but the whole appeals procedure seems very complicated and its a straightforward case of overstaying,

should I just pay it while its the lower £40 rate?

My only defense is that I wasn't aware it was 3 hours parking only! Im sure there must have been signs around,

but was in too much of a rush to notice. Im not from the area so I can't go and check.

Just wondering whether an appeal would have any chance of success

Thanks

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I think there's every chance you can defend this and the forum guys will help you. I don't claim to be an expert, please bear with us until the guys can get here and they'll pick this apart for you. Certainly don't pay money until they've looked at your case. They may need to ask you more questions.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Ha yeah thats fine ! Was also wondering whether they can "up" the fine to £90 if i don't pay within a fortnight/if an appeal is pending!

Thanks

I know you've read around the forum a bit, but I think it's worth using the search box in the grey strip at the top of this screen to look for more threads on Smart Parking.

Have you appealed already? If not, please wait for the guys, as I said, I'm not an expert. They should be along later.

You're still talking about 'fines', we prefer to call them speculative invoices. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The easiest and quickest way to get this cancelled is to complain to Asda about the way they and their agents treat customers who spend money in the shop.

Try that first before you appeal to smart. (You have to laugh at the name.) You have 28 days to do the smart (ha ha ) appeal.

so you've not got the letter entitled notice to keeper yet

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks, ill give it a try! I've been sent a PCN and not a NTK - does this make any difference ?

This is the first contact from the PPC to you, the RK. Therefore it is a Notice To Keeper.

Have you still got your till receipt from Asda? I know they've cancelled Smart parking tickets in my home town after showing them the till receipt

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Sorry I'm a bit confused. I was under the impression a PCN and a NTK were two separate things! Can't find anything receipt wise unfortunately! It was an ANPR camera so no ticket on the actual windscreen, picture is poor though as only shows number plate and not the driver! Ive written a letter of complaint to Asda and awating a reply! Honestly don't know whether to ignore, appeal or pay and be done with it!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Paying this, is certainly NOT the way to go about it.

A ticket on the windscreen, is the notice to driver (NTD), the NTK, comes through the post

If you were unaware that you had a ticket on the day you returned to your car, because there was no ticket on the screen, then the only way they will contact you is to find the registered keeper, hence a missive sent through the post which will state that as the registered keeper you are liable for this invoice.

How did you pay for your shopping from Asda?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

instead of hurrying off an making a rash decision

have a read of a number of the previous threads

and gain an inkling of what is normal,

what the parking companoes are supposed to do

and how they often fail to do it and more importantly,

an understanding of the terminology used to define each of the protocols.

A PCN is generally a parking charge notice or ticket on the car.

This is dressed up to look like a Penalty Charge Notice or PCN issued by a local authority.

It is no coincidence they look and sound alike,

the parking co's want you to think they have some authority

when they are really sending you an invoice ay best.

The Notice to Keeper is the general term for a demand made under paras 8 or 9 of the PoFA

and the wording is slightly different for each, as is the time limits for sending them.

What you have is a NTK under para 9 which means it has been sent to the keeper

because no notice to the driver was issued.

This NTK must be with you within 14 days of the event that gave rise to its issue.

They have 12 days to print it and 2 days for service.

It must contain certain information to make it valid which is why we ask about the event,

when you got the letter and what exactly it says and what other evidence they are relying on

to claim a liability such as ANPR photos.

So post up the details and we can pick holes in it if there are errors.

Normally the smaller companies get it wrong and Smart certainly aren't.