Supermarket aisles.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2969 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I can imagine that the only issues might be whether or not they are capable of admitting a wheelchair, although somebody else my know better.

I wonder whether it wouldn't be a reasonable requirement for the wheelchair to be up to turn around as well.

I would say that as most of the larger supermarkets claim to be disabled user friendly and even provide those mobility scooter/wheelchairs then the space should be wide enough for one of those plus space for a normal shopper to pass with their trolley.

I suspect that these aisles seem to be much narrower over the Christmas period.

I would think that you might get an answer from a Health and Safety person.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Pages 5 and 6 in the document attached give the recommended space for a variety of disabilities.

Interesting document.

inclusive-mobility.pdf

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Making access to goods and services

easier for disabled customers

And another.

sp5.pdf

BCOBS

I find the most relevant issue for me is the likelihood of aisles being cluttered with displays etc.

Even though I practically live next door, I no longer use Aldi at all because of how cluttered and narrow the aisles are - I'm too wary of getting stuck to use wheelchair or scooter and can't stand in the ever present queues long enough to walk.

Luckily, I have two post offices within reach because the one in W H Smith is also inaccessible, being right at the back of a store crammed with displays blocking even the main aisle. Complaints regarding the lack of access are generally met with complete disinterest.

The comments in the first document shared by CitizenB regarding slopes were also interesting - I though it was just me being totally unfit that caused even the slightest slope to be pretty much unmanageable, but it seems lots of manual wheelchair users find them difficult. The pedestrian crossing outside the building where I live is a case in point - even my son can't get me up the slope at the far end so we have to brave the dropped kerb on the junction instead. Perhaps I should be speaking to the local council?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Generally speaking this is all covered by the terms of the Equality Act and the duty to make reasonable adjustments so as to not put service users at a significant disadvantage when accessing goods or services. Basically a disabled person should be able to navigate a store as easily as a non-disabled user. Any publicly accessible building should therefore be equally accessible to disabled and able-bodied users within the confines of that disability - a wheelchair user for example should not only be able to use the service having left the wheelchair at the door. There is no specific width requirement, merely that the disabled user should be able to access without any special provisions and with the use of whatever aid is required to do so (wheelchair, walking stick etc)

Duty to make adjustments

(1)Where this Act imposes a duty to make reasonable adjustments on a person, this section, sections 21 and 22 and the applicable Schedule apply; and for those purposes, a person on whom the duty is imposed is referred to as A.

(2)The duty comprises the following three requirements.

(3)The first requirement is a requirement, where a provision, criterion or practice of A's puts a disabled person at a substantial disadvantage in relation to a relevant matter in comparison with persons who are not disabled, to take such steps as it is reasonable to have to take to avoid the disadvantage.

(4)The second requirement is a requirement, where a physical feature puts a disabled person at a substantial disadvantage in relation to a relevant matter in comparison with persons who are not disabled, to take such steps as it is reasonable to have to take to avoid the disadvantage.

(5)The third requirement is a requirement, where a disabled person would, but for the provision of an auxiliary aid, be put at a substantial disadvantage in relation to a relevant matter in comparison with persons who are not disabled, to take such steps as it is reasonable to have to take to provide the auxiliary aid.

(6)Where the first or third requirement relates to the provision of information, the steps which it is reasonable for A to have to take include steps for ensuring that in the circumstances concerned the information is provided in an accessible format.

(7)A person (A) who is subject to a duty to make reasonable adjustments is not (subject to express provision to the contrary) entitled to require a disabled person, in relation to whom A is required to comply with the duty, to pay to any extent A's costs of complying with the duty.

(8)A reference in section 21 or 22 or an applicable Schedule to the first, second or third requirement is to be construed in accordance with this section.

(9)In relation to the second requirement, a reference in this section or an applicable Schedule to avoiding a substantial disadvantage includes a reference to—

(a)removing the physical feature in question,

(b)altering it, or

©providing a reasonable means of avoiding it.

(10)A reference in this section, section 21 or 22 or an applicable Schedule (apart from paragraphs 2 to 4 of Schedule 4) to a physical feature is a reference to—

(a)a feature arising from the design or construction of a building,

(b)a feature of an approach to, exit from or access to a building,

©a fixture or fitting, or furniture, furnishings, materials, equipment or other chattels, in or on premises, or

(d)any other physical element or quality.

Failure to comply with duty

(1)A failure to comply with the first, second or third requirement is a failure to comply with a duty to make reasonable adjustments.

(2)A discriminates against a disabled person if A fails to comply with that duty in relation to that person.

(3)A provision of an applicable Schedule which imposes a duty to comply with the first, second or third requirement applies only for the purpose of establishing whether A has contravened this Act by virtue of subsection (2); a failure to comply is, accordingly, not actionable by virtue of another provision of this Act or otherwise.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

What can they say ? If they make to much of a fuss, tell them you want to make a complaint..

It's amazing how as soon as you may be causing damage, they are suddenly much more willing to listen to complaints about the width of their aisles!

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.