style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2988 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks,I've followed a few useful threads on here previously, but this is the first post I've made and any helpful advice on whether I should challenge a Code 01 PCN will be gratefully received. I apologise for the length of the post, but I've done a bit of research already and wanted to share it in case it saved anyone else the trouble.I drove my registered disabled friend into Coventry on Saturday (30/01/16). I looked for a space in the disabled parking area on Barracks Way, but it was full. Upon exiting back onto Barracks Way I noticed the double yellow lines had been painted over. I pulled over and looked for any parking restriction signs - I saw none. Thinking, 'This is too good to be true' I got out of the car to double-check, but still finding none, I locked up and off we went. I genuinely thought I had parked legally and had made the effort to check that I had done so. (Ironically, my friend asked if I wanted to display her blue badge and I said we didn't need it because parking wasn't restricted. Perhaps I would've been OK if I'd displayed the badge, but I guess that's a moot point).When I returned to my car to find the PCN stuck on my windscreen it was dark and my friend needed to get home so I just took photos of the painted over yellow lines (attached; mine is the silver car) and left. Until I am able to return to Barracks Way in person, I’ve done a Google Street View ‘site visit’ and discovered that it appears Barracks Way is intended to be a Restricted Parking Zone. But it is – in my opinion – very poorly marked as such.The Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 3 states that Restricted Parking Zones should have entry signs on both sides of the road, facing approaching traffic. On Street View I found just one sign (see attached Street View image) mounted on the right hand side of the road, and facing the road - not oncoming traffic. I also note that the face design is not as per TSRGD diagram 663.2, which I believe was introduced as a prescribed sign in the 2011 Amendment to the TSRGD.The TSM also says zone exit signs should be provided; I have found none.Lastly, the TSM states Repeater signs should be spaced at intervals of not more than 30m and “should not be mounted where they might be obscured by pedestrians or by vehicles that are legally parked (e.g. where loading is not prohibited).” As I was driving away, I saw one clearway sign (like the one in the Google Street View image attached) tucked away in a corner, and I have now spotted several more on Street View. They are all faded (most to the extent that the red is faded to white) and mounted on walls where they could (and perhaps were) obscured by goods vehicles using the loading bays that line the road. None of them state “Restricted zone” (which I raise because I believe the sign to diagram 637.2A became prescribed in the 2011 Amendment to the TSRGD, and omission of the text “Restricted zone” is not a permitted variant). I found no repeaters within the 30m on the approach to where I parked (it’s a one-way loop road) and one sign perhaps 25m beyond where I parked, behind the corner of a building – impossible to see unless I had walked round the corner of the building.So, assuming I can confirm the signs are as they appear in Google Street View by revisiting Barracks Way with my camera, do you think the signs/PCN are not legally enforceable? Do you think I should go to the effort of challenging the PCN? Or should I just suck up the fact that I (despite my best intentions) parked illegally and just pay the fine? I'm not necessarily looking for a 'loop hole' to avoid paying the PCN, but seeing as I made the effort to park legally, I don't want to pay if someone hasn't made the effort to place signs legally. Thanks for reading!

DYLs.jpg

DYLs2.jpg

Entry.PNG

Clearway.PNG

Hi Ford, Thanks for your interest in my post. It seems CAG prevents us from posting links until we've made 10 posts, but if you search in Google Maps for these coordinates 52.407049, -1.512422 then go into Street View, I was parked exactly where the silver Citroen is parked. Regards, Ellen.

I had a little drive around last night, and I'm beginning to think the whole of the city centre is a Restricted Parking Zone - there were Restricted Parking Zone entry signs as I came off the ring road at junction 6 and I didn't see an End sign in the 0.6 miles to where I parked (I took the most direct route). On a slight aside, I also found a faded clearway sign (photos attached) opposite where I parked, mounted on a wall facing aprroaching traffic (not visible from where I parked, but it would've been if I'd walked a few metres, but it could apply only to the loading bay it's located in?). I'm also beginning to think that the signing isn't as good as it could be, but there's enough of it that I haven't really got grounds to challenge the PCN :(

Clearway photo1.jpg

Clearway photo2.jpg

is this it

Hello again. Sorry, I replied before but my post didn't appear (because I replied with quote, and of course it wouldn't let me post the link in your quote!). Yes, that is the road I was parked on, but I was parked all the way round on the other side of the loop, between the entry and exit of the disabled parking area. Regards, Elllen.

have you checked their site for any photographic evidence. see what they've got.

You mean the Council's website? The photographic evidence I have so far are the photos I took myself that I've already shared, and a few images from Google Street View.

You mean the Council's website? The photographic evidence I have so far are the photos I took myself that I've already shared, and a few images from Google Street View.

yes, their website. councils sometimes usually post up the details.

You're right, the council has a page on restricted parking zones, and the first thing it says is, "The city centre is now covered by a restricted parking zone. All yellow lines have been removed, but it is illegal to park anywhere in the city centre other than in clearly defined bays."

I never noticed before because I always walk into the centre - I only drove this time because my friend can't walk far. Ah well, at least she enjoyed her lunch!

I've paid the fine now. Thanks for your interest, Ford.

Regards, Ellen.

You're right, the council has a page on restricted parking zones, and the first thing it says is, "The city centre is now covered by a restricted parking zone. All yellow lines have been removed, but it is illegal to park anywhere in the city centre other than in clearly defined bays."

I never noticed before because I always walk into the centre - I only drove this time because my friend can't walk far. Ah well, at least she enjoyed her lunch!

I've paid the fine now. Thanks for your interest, Ford.

Regards, Ellen.

ah ok. did you look up your specific case details on there as well. councils usually put up an individuals case details for an individuals private view on their site, thats what i meant. there wld still have to be proper signage/ticketing etc. anyway, you have paid.