DWP for a PIP reconsideration - Need help with reconsideration letter

Helen2264
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

Can someone please tell me where I can find a sample letter or how to draft a letter asking the DWP for a PIP reconsideration. I've never written one before and I've been helping an autism to fill in her PIP she just got a reply back to say that her daughter has got the enhanced care but lower rate mob.

I have filled in the criteria properly the letter says she did not get enhanced because her daughter can walk more than 250 yards. Her daughter has autism disorder and Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, when she's been out alone in her local she's had the police called twice on her because of her violent behaviour which has been written in her reports by the hospital, I've read through her reports myself and the DWP still gave her 0 point. We need to argue her case.

Any prompt reply would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Helen

The criteria for higher PIP mobility (assuming she can walk) is "Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid" She needs to gather evidence to explain why. She needs to give examples. For example, there's a route which is rather familiar to me which I always have to use Google maps for. No matter how many times I use GM, I always get lost because my Autism means I don't understand written or verbal instructions. Therefore, would need another person with me. (and because of my physical disabilities, would need another person with me) There are actually only a few routes (which I've had to do several times before being able to do them unaided) that I can do completely unaided.

I would send a SAR for the medical records. Get this as it may help.

Then ask the GP for a patient disclosure letter for the most recent visits and why.

Then maybe get some reports from the carers I.E. care plan. If the person has a personal assistant too then also one from them. Get as many of the support team to write a report as well as one from the main carer and or parents. This can only but help.

Since the Police have been involved ask them as well. The reasons for this is it could assist you when completing the claim forms that the claimant is a danger to herself and others. (I know this seems harsh but it's necessary I think in this case) I will add further help shortly as on a mobile device...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

The criteria for higher PIP mobility (assuming she can walk) is "Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid" She needs to gather evidence to explain why. She needs to give examples. For example, there's a route which is rather familiar to me which I always have to use Google maps for. No matter how many times I use GM, I always get lost because my Autism means I don't understand written or verbal instructions. Therefore, would need another person with me. (and because of my physical disabilities, would need another person with me) There are actually only a few routes (which I've had to do several times before being able to do them unaided) that I can do completely unaided.

Thanks for your reply and for those tips appreciate it, I have written them similar in the PIP form it's just wanted a sample letter how to write the reconsideration letter.

:)

I would send a SAR for the medical records. Get this as it may help.

Then ask the GP for a patient disclosure letter for the most recent visits and why.

Then maybe get some reports from the carers I.E. care plan. If the person has a personal assistant too then also one from them. Get as many of the support team to write a report as well as one from the main carer and or parents. This can only but help.

Since the Police have been involved ask them as well. The reasons for this is it could assist you when completing the claim forms that the claimant is a danger to herself and others. (I know this seems harsh but it's necessary I think in this case) I will add further help shortly as on a mobile device...

Thank you for your reply appreciate it. The PIP form has already been completed and sent off my friend child got enhanced Care but low mob, the dwp already got all the hospital, doctors, any other person involved in her child autism case, I think the dwp has enough evidence but I will tell her to get in touch with her doctor with with regards to the pip low mobility. I have already done a SAR and will add on the reconsideration letter that a SAR has also been done that should help a bit.

If they already have the evidence, all you need to put in the reconsideration letter is why she meets the criteria, linking that to the evidence, e.g. 'as stated in paragraph x of the report dated y, the claimant cannot follow the route of a familiar journey because ...' and 'if she does try to follow the route of a familiar journey on her own she is at risk of getting lost as per paragraph z of report dated a' etc. Make it easy for the DWP and enclose copies of the relevant pages of evidence (no need to send all of it again) with bits highlighted.

Was there a face to face, and if so do you have a copy of that report?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

If they already have the evidence, all you need to put in the reconsideration letter is why she meets the criteria, linking that to the evidence, e.g. 'as stated in paragraph x of the report dated y, the claimant cannot follow the route of a familiar journey because ...' and 'if she does try to follow the route of a familiar journey on her own she is at risk of getting lost as per paragraph z of report dated a' etc. Make it easy for the DWP and enclose copies of the relevant pages of evidence (no need to send all of it again) with bits highlighted.

Was there a face to face, and if so do you have a copy of that report?

Thanks for your reply. The claimant has Autism and her mother has a tracking device on her iphone so she could track her whereabouts because she get lost and then panic and cannot get home by herself and get violent outburst which has been written in her report.

The problem I am having is how to write the reconsideration letter to the dwp, I know what to write about her disability and everything else. I'm just having problems its how to ask the dwp for a request of re-consideration. There are no sample letter about that I can follow.

If you are just asking how to go about requesting a mandatory reconsideration I think you will find what you want at this link:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Challenging-a-Personal-Independence-Payment-decisi/What-are-my-options

Any problems just ask and we'll try and help

If you are just asking how to go about requesting a mandatory reconsideration I think you will find what you want at this link:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Challenging-a-Personal-Independence-Payment-decisi/What-are-my-options

Any problems just ask and we'll try and help

Thank you so much yes this is exactly what I'm asking how to go about requesting a mandatory reconsideration.

One tip I have, as a person whose job used to involve reading the letters that people send to the DWP, is perhaps stating the obvious but it's surprising how often it's forgotten. It's this: make sure that you say clearly in your letter what it is you want them to do.

So you might start the letter a bit like this:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Personal Indepence Payment - Mrs Jane Smith - NiNo AB 12 34 56 C

I am writing to ask that you reconsider your decision, made on to award me the lower rate mobility component of PIP. I believe that I satisfy the conditions for a higher rate award because....

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I seem to remember that when it was DLA, you could fill in a form if you were appealing. (you had to ask for them to reconsider it first) Do these forms exist for PIP? You just wrote your details and then what you were appealing against adn why.

One tip I have, as a person whose job used to involve reading the letters that people send to the DWP, is perhaps stating the obvious but it's surprising how often it's forgotten. It's this: make sure that you say clearly in your letter what it is you want them to do.

So you might start the letter a bit like this:

Thank you this help greatly. :-)

Hi All,

I found out from the mum that her daughter actually got 10 point "Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid" but on the PIP claim form I have written Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid”.

Does “Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid" give you low mobility PIP? Or no mobility at all?

Thanks in advance.

Hi... Mobility is a different part of the claim entirely. If there are mobility issues then you may wish to list them and see what if any advice is required. I myself have myself have mobility issues as well, as I am not 'confident' in new places. I use Google maps should I get lost, which is in my case very often... What you have noted would come under the care side of your issue....

Even when shown several times I can still get lost or have an episode where it all gets too much and I end up very confused. In my case I call my carer/s and say I am going out here or there and they can track me with Google maps. It's happened often even last week on a route I thought I knew well, that said I was only in town and forgot where the car was parked and panicked.

What makes it hard for me may not be hard for someone else. So each case is dealt with on its own merits ok?... You just need to make all of your points individually and remember that what is deemed as safely is not always the case. Like crossing a road and then stopping in the middle of it because your memory has frozen for a moment. Things like this we take for granted until someone points something out that they may have missed in the application form...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Hi All,

I found out from the mum that her daughter actually got 10 point "Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid" but on the PIP claim form I have written Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid”.

Does “Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid" give you low mobility PIP? Or no mobility at all?

Thanks in advance.

In post # 14 you say that you have written:

Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid”.

That is descriptor (f) which attracts the highest score from Activity 1 (12 points).

If your friend scored 10 points from Activity 1 the assessors must have assessed that either descriptor (d) or (e) applied.

Have the assessors shown your friend what evidence they have to show that a 'familiar' journey could not result in the same consequences or effects on her as an 'unfamiliar' journey might have. Might not a 'familiar' journey easily turn into an 'unfamiliar' one?

It would only take, say, meeting a familiar person or stranger who challenged her with a question or comment, a group or crowd of people or kids who may appear to her as aggressive or posing a threat, or some obstacle in the way, or some unusual occurrence, to make the 'familiar' journey 'unfamiliar'.

Not only that but would not the effect of such an incident occurring, or even the dread of such an incident occurring, or that she is expected to undertake such journeys and be exposed to such incidents, leave her in a constant state of anxiety, dread or fear irrespective of whether a journey is anticipated imminently or not? Surely that cannot but worsen her condition over all.

If the assessors can't be persuaded that (f) from Activity 1 applies, can they be persuaded that even the lowest point scoring descriptor in Activity 2, Moving around, which is 4 points, is applicable?

In which case, would the 10 points from Activity 1, plus, say, a minimum of 4 points from Activity 2, be sufficient together to qualify for the higher mobility PIP? Could a strong, or stronger, case be made for this option based on the evidence? Would this not give more than the requisite number of points (12) as well, if successful?